Anime and Manga disscussion

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Re: Anime and Manga disscussion

Post by Titanoterror98 »

cloverfan98 wrote:I haven't seen EoE in full so mountain of salt here, but I just don't get why all the bat crap crazy happens. It really doesn't feel like a natural continuation of the series or it's world. It just feels like random insanity for no reason at all and that doesn't translate to a good film to me especially if its a chapter in an ongoing series. If it was an original film than I could enjoy it as an animated mind trip but as a chapter in a story it makes no sense.
My thoughts exactly. A mixed media horror movie that showcases the end of the world and all the messed up folk in it could work, but just not as the end of a series that looked (for the most part) put together well.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Just thought I post this here, Perfect Blue has been released on Blu-Ray: https://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Blue-Blu ... B07L5DTDLG
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Rody wrote:Count me in the camp who never understood the hate for Shinji. It's blatantly obvious from the first episode on that Shinji is a troubled kid dropped into a bizarre situation, and there are no rose-tinted glasses on regarding the hazards of piloting giant "robot" to fight monsters. Shinji is sympathetic.

I, too, was frustrated and confused by EoE when I saw it. Tidbits of it made sense, but there's just SO MUCH that happens SO SUDDENLY, I just couldn't process it. I look forward to revisiting it this summer, though.

In other anime news, the April Fools announcements are going strong this year; I think everyone here can appreciate this one for the next My Hero Academia film:
http://heroaca-movie.com/
Spoiler:
Good to know you're on the side of "people with common sense and a heart" as well, my friend. Regardless of how well EoE works as a finale, I'm still not sure if I can get myself to watch it, mostly because 1) I'm super squemish and this where the gore is at an alltime series-high, and 2) I live with my parents and if they caught me watching it they would be... equally disturbed to, say the least.

I'm curious though--how does the manga version of the ending compare?

(Also I have yet to get into BNHA/MHA, but a Bakugo kaiju film sounds perfect)
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

cloverfan98 wrote:I haven't seen EoE in full so mountain of salt here, but I just don't get why all the bat crap crazy happens. It really doesn't feel like a natural continuation of the series or it's world. It just feels like random insanity for no reason at all and that doesn't translate to a good film to me especially if its a chapter in an ongoing series. If it was an original film than I could enjoy it as an animated mind trip but as a chapter in a story it makes no sense.
The director's cut of episodes 21-24 better set up the film. Episodes 25 and 26 are not considered canon.
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Mon Apr 01, 2019 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^Yeah, the final two episodes of the TV show are, so I understand, more of a last-minute alternative ending to EoE, which was the original intended ending but couldn't get properly realized on the show's imploding schedule and budget.

The manga version slightly less explicitly violent, a few characters have adjusted parts - but most importantly, at the very end we get a more decisive, and optimistic, resolution. I think it's better appreciated when compared with the film, however (just my 2 cents).

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Rody wrote:^Yeah, the final two episodes of the TV show are, so I understand, more of a last-minute alternative ending to EoE, which was the original intended ending but couldn't get properly realized on the show's imploding schedule and budget.

The manga version slightly less explicitly violent, a few characters have adjusted parts - but most importantly, at the very end we get a more decisive, and optimistic, resolution. I think it's better appreciated when compared with the film, however (just my 2 cents).
Decisive? Optimistic? That's everything I look for in an ending! Heck, I'll read it just to see a scenario where Evangelion actually ends on a happy note! :tearsofjoy:

As for the anime, I'll probably watch those infamous last two episodes just for kicks and then skip ahead to the Rebuild movies.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Titanoterror98 wrote: As for the anime, I'll probably watch those infamous last two episodes just for kicks and then skip ahead to the Rebuild movies.
Watch The End Of Evangelion after the series. It's one wild ride.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote: As for the anime, I'll probably watch those infamous last two episodes just for kicks and then skip ahead to the Rebuild movies.
Or an overrated bore fest.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

Been a long time since I've been into Evangelion. I was SUPER SUPER SUPER into it back in 2005 and 2006. Then as the went on I just lost interest in the whole franchise. Never went back to it.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

xolta
GPN Volunteer

Post by xolta »

Any one esle here reading part 8 of jojo? Kinda want peoples thoughts on it.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

LegendZilla wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:
Between the boring parts and the gory parts, I'm definitely gonna give it a pass. Sorry. :(

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

LegendZilla wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:
Aren't you that guy who keeps saying KOTM is going to flop?

Added in 21 seconds:
Titanoterror98 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote: Watch The End Of Evangelion after the series. It's one wild ride.
Between the boring parts and the gory parts, I'm definitely gonna give it a pass. Sorry. :(
Ignore him.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

MorgansTShirt
Samurai

Post by MorgansTShirt »

I think End of Eva has a spectacular climactic scene, and much of the film is visually and emotionally impressive, but overall I find it uneven and somewhat difficult to enjoy, and sometimes artificial or try-hard in terms of edginess.

I dislike the camp that says Eva should be a typical story about a gung-ho shonen protag who does awesome things in a robot, but at the same time I think Eva's plot and characters can be too esoteric for its own good. Overall I think the series is okay, but uneven and worshipped by a largely hypocritical fanbase, but it has much higher artistic integrity than a lot of anime series.

I'd been watching a lot of popular anime these last few years, even supposed classics like Dragon Ball, Gurren Lagann, and even slice of life romances. They can be entertaining, but I think most of them are horribly overrated, haha. Eva was a breath of fresh air, but that too is often overrated.

Maybe what I can take away from this is that anime itself is overrated.
Last edited by MorgansTShirt on Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:44 am, edited 6 times in total.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

MorgansTShirt wrote:I think End of Eva has a spectacular climactic scene, and much of the film is visually and emotionally impressive, but overall I find it uneven and somewhat difficult to enjoy, and sometimes artificial or try-hard in terms of edginess.

I dislike the camp that says Eva should be a typical story about a gung-ho shonen protag who does awesome things in a robot, but at the same time I think Eva's plot and characters can be too esoteric for its own good. Overall I think the series is okay, but uneven and worshipped by a largely hypocritical fanbase, but it has much higher artistic integrity than a lot of anime series.

I'd been watching a lot of popular anime these last few years, even supposed classics like Dragon Ball, Gurren Lagann, and even slice of life romances. They can be entertaining, but I think most of them are horribly overrated, haha. Eva was a breath of fresh air, but that too is often overrated.

Maybe what I can take away from this is that anime itself is overrated.
^This.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

So down the road eventually due to still having plenty of anime I have to still watch I'm gonna give One Punch Man. So I just wanted to ask in your guys opinion but how good is the show?

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So down the road eventually due to still having plenty of anime I have to still watch I'm gonna give One Punch Man. So I just wanted to ask in your guys opinion but how good is the show?
very.

I'm barely an anime fan and I love it

RIP Evan.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:So down the road eventually due to still having plenty of anime I have to still watch I'm gonna give One Punch Man. So I just wanted to ask in your guys opinion but how good is the show?
It's amazing. Also you aught to check out Jonathan Young's cover of the theme song:
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

MikeSTZillak wrote: It's amazing. Also you aught to check out Jonathan Young's cover of the theme song:

I really like Jonathan Young (and Caleb Hyles). He's a great musician. But he really needs to stop adding reverb to his voice with every song. It doesn't always fit.

One Punch is a pretty good show. I would definitely recommend it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

One Punch Man is a beautiful deconstruction of superheroes and the superhero story. It's funny, filled with beautifully animated action, and surprisingly emotionally uplifting. Best of all what makes it a beautiful superhero story telling tradition deconstruction is that it is also an amazing superhero story unto itself.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

It's in the top 5 of my favorite shows. You'll love it.

Just keep in mind that it's a parody of superhero stories. It's not meant to be taken seriously.....
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III