Talkback: Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback: Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Good thing Asagi wasn't linked to Gamera anymore, losing an arm can't be much fun.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

So what is ya'lls interoperation of Gamera saving Ayana at the end of the film?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Godzillian wrote:So what is ya'lls interoperation of Gamera saving Ayana at the end of the film?
I think it's simply the idea that everyone should be saved and forgiven - even those that despise you. It can be seen as a religious theme and just a good value in general. There's probably more to it than that, I need to rewatch the whole trilogy.
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I think there has to be some significance in the final lines.

Nagamine: Did Gamera speak to you?

Asagi: No, but I understand. Gamera will fight. To the end, even alone.

Nagamine: Gamera's not alone.

We know Gamera had lost his link with humanity after the Legion events. From this we know that he's still not connected to Asagi as he was in 1995 and '96. But he's also clearly not acting in only Earth's best interests, he's going to defend humanity again as well. I'm not sure how this all ties into saving Ayana but I think there's supposed to be a definite connection. It's a good excuse to watch it again soon anyway.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Hang so I read on a wiki the size of the Hyper Gyaos puts them as being just a little bigger than Super Gyaos, like height and wingspan being about five meters bigger. That really doesn't seem wrong to me. I always got the impression that the Hyper Gyaos, at least the ones we saw, were somewhere between the base Gyaos and the two Gyaos Gamera encountered in the mountains in GotU. I figured they'd be smaller but more numerous not all the size of Super Gyaos. I mean when Gamera spat at the second Gyaos in Shibuya the Hyper Gyaos seemed about as big as the fireball. And the only time the two are on the same screen is when Gamera approaches the mutilated one. Are they actually the same size?

king_ghidorah
EDF Instructor

Post by king_ghidorah »

Totally see what you see when in comes to Hyper Gyaos. They’ve always seemed smaller to me so that’s why it’s confusing that they’re supposedly as big or bigger than Gamera.

I think, in my mind, that’s because their “height” is really nose tip to tail tip when they’re in the flying position.

Basically they’re laying down on their belly for that height while Gameras height reflects his size while standing. So while technically if Gyaos is outstretched it might be nearly as long as a standing Gamera, Gamera is immensely more massive.

Hope that makes sense.