Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
_JNavs_
Keizer

Re: GODZILLA ANIME General Discussion Thread

Post by _JNavs_ »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I think most larger Big G youtubers don't release quality content, be it the Godzilla film news channels or the Godzilla custom figure channels. It's always either clickbait, criticisms or cut up vinyls. The Godzilla animation channels are always amazing though. Wish they got more love
Yeah, guys like Vrahno are so good. MIB is just a god tier channel.
Yeah his Gorosaurus vs Zilla is awesome. Have you seen Monster War by Methlokaijufan? Insane stuff. ZimautAnimation with his G vs Kong animation is top tier too. Godzilla vs Hekaton by ThatSciFIGuy is great. There was a multipart animation I watched a while back but I forgot the title, it had Godzilla and kong fight, then it became like a series with Kong and a Zilla growing together. If I find the title I'll let you know
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Honestly a lot of the trilogy's themes and messages were all things I thought when I was an angsty middle schooler.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Apgigan wrote:On the topic of Godzilla Youtubers I think this guy’s videos are really good and deserve more attention: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWcGsi ... B-bMthc85Q
Oh, interesting. I just clicked on the link and, based solely on the titles, I'm going to have to check this out.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I think that the title of the main post should be changed to GODZILLA Anime Trilogy (2017-2018), now that the trilogy is finished.

Also, "an unnamed sequel" should be changed to Godzilla: The Planet Eater.

If an admin could please do so, that would be good.

Thank you.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I guess these three films are the first time the term "atomic breath" is actually used to name Godzilla's heat ray besides supplementary materials over the years.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I guess these three films are the first time the term "atomic breath" is actually used to name Godzilla's heat ray besides supplementary materials over the years.
They say it in film because I heard charged particle breath.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

So, just rewatched planet eater.

My opinion hasn't changed-it's one of my favorite Godzilla films, and offers a nice conclusion. The ending, especially the score ("The Last One") and the final shot of the flowers almost brought me to tears. I give it a personal rating of 8/10, mainly due to the fact that unlike the other 2 anime films, the human drama here is actually compelling. Wish Mothra actually appeared though.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

I just wish the other monsters would make an appearance. It's like-You craft this beautiful, diverse world of Kaiju that would be such a badass ecosystem to see interact with everything else, and then it just all dies off save for Godzilla and his spawn. It's like if you made a Marvel Vs Capcom-like game or what have you, and then the only character you can play as is Ryu or the 'mascot' of the franchise. Godzilla's indeed a god in all his glory, and I know he IS the reason for the entire franchise existing, but why put in so many awesome kaiju/redesign so many Kaiju into these cool new designs and stuff only to say 'And then they all died and Godzilla was the only kaiju left' feels like a huge middle finger.

I mean, I'm probably going to be very wrong in the long run, but all we have thus far for 'confirmed' Kaiju is Godzilla and its spawn (ie Filius and the Servum) and MAYBE Mechagodzilla? Okay, that's cool but like, why go through the trouble of even making an intro showing off all these other monsters, some of whom are fan favorites (Dagahra, Kamacuras, Orga, Hedorah etc) only to have it all end with Godzilla just kills everything else. It feels like Godzilla Final Wars, except we see even LESS of the other monsters before Godzilla kills them or even any fight scene to speak of. It's probably my biggest gripe with the Anime.

edit: Also, I was wrong-upon re-watching I found we had gotten a Mothra Egg, MechaGodzilla, and Ghidorah. Okay, that's a little better, but still.
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:I just wish the other monsters would make an appearance. It's like-You craft this beautiful, diverse world of Kaiju that would be such a badass ecosystem to see interact with everything else, and then it just all dies off save for Godzilla and his spawn. It's like if you made a Marvel Vs Capcom-like game or what have you, and then the only character you can play as is Ryu or the 'mascot' of the franchise. Godzilla's indeed a god in all his glory, and I know he IS the reason for the entire franchise existing, but why put in so many awesome kaiju/redesign so many Kaiju into these cool new designs and stuff only to say 'And then they all died and Godzilla was the only kaiju left' feels like a huge middle finger.

I mean, I'm probably going to be very wrong in the long run, but all we have thus far for 'confirmed' Kaiju is Godzilla and its spawn (ie Filius and the Servum) and MAYBE Mechagodzilla? Okay, that's cool but like, why go through the trouble of even making an intro showing off all these other monsters, some of whom are fan favorites (Dagahra, Kamacuras, Orga, Hedorah etc) only to have it all end with Godzilla just kills everything else. It feels like Godzilla Final Wars, except we see even LESS of the other monsters before Godzilla kills them or even any fight scene to speak of. It's probably my biggest gripe with the Anime.
Preach! One of the biggest problems I have with the trilogy is that the result of this "ecosystem" is so damn BORING

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:I just wish the other monsters would make an appearance. It's like-You craft this beautiful, diverse world of Kaiju that would be such a badass ecosystem to see interact with everything else, and then it just all dies off save for Godzilla and his spawn
You missed the whole point that Godzilla is the ecosystem, and that ecosystem wasn’t diverse at all and that’s a very intentional choice.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:I just wish the other monsters would make an appearance. It's like-You craft this beautiful, diverse world of Kaiju that would be such a badass ecosystem to see interact with everything else, and then it just all dies off save for Godzilla and his spawn
You missed the whole point that Godzilla is the ecosystem, and that ecosystem wasn’t diverse at all and that’s a very intentional choice.
Okay, that is actually a pretty fair point-I guess for me that just seems really boring. Like, okay, we have Godzilla as the world and everything around it-but then why introduce other monsters to begin with? To show off how bad-ass Godzilla is in killing them all? TBH, that would be a good analogy for an invasive species...I guess I was just miffed that we didn't get to see any other monsters or anything.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

mikelcho wrote:I think that the title of the main post should be changed to GODZILLA Anime Trilogy (2017-2018), now that the trilogy is finished.

Also, "an unnamed sequel" should be changed to Godzilla: The Planet Eater.

If an admin could please do so, that would be good.

Thank you.
Someone. Do this. Please. It's long since overdue.
Last edited by mikelcho on Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Just because it's intentional doesn't mean it's good. It's still a boring ecosystem that could've been so much more.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The other monsters were pretty much in there as fanservice and to be part of the backstory/prelude. The story of the novels is really thematically unconnected to the anime trilogy. It would make zero sense if after 20,000 years, let’s say Rodan showed up. You’d have to ask,”How did Godzilla let Rodan just knock about for 20,000 years?”.

And yeah, while something being intentional doesn’t make it good, you not liking it because it isn’t “cool” doesn’t make it instantly bad.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:The other monsters were pretty much in there as fanservice and to be part of the backstory/prelude. The story of the novels is really thematically unconnected to the anime trilogy. It would make zero sense if after 20,000 years, let’s say Rodan showed up. You’d have to ask,”How did Godzilla let Rodan just knock about for 20,000 years?”.

And yeah, while something being intentional doesn’t make it good, you not liking it because it isn’t “cool” doesn’t make it instantly bad.
I don't dislike it because it's not "cool", I dislike it because it's poorly executed. Even with the material they were given, they could've created something so much better.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

Just realized that the scene where Ghidorah curves Godzilla's A-Beam harmlessly is a reference to GMK.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

This might be rude but I kind of feel like I have to say it.

People do realize 3/4 of the stuff in the anime novels probably came from Renji Oki, and Urobuchi did not knowingly have stuff like "Destroyah is secretly formed by a secret experiment" or "all of these monsters existed", right?
like, don't get me wrong, the novels are great. But people should really stop acting like it was stuff planned for the animes and not extra side stuff

RIP Evan.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:This might be rude but I kind of feel like I have to say it.

People do realize 3/4 of the stuff in the anime novels probably came from Renji Oki, and Urobuchi did not knowingly have stuff like "Destroyah is secretly formed by a secret experiment" or "all of these monsters existed", right?
like, don't get me wrong, the novels are great. But people should really stop acting like it was stuff planned for the animes and not extra side stuff
Fair enough-I guess it feels more like that they give us this backstory AFTER the fact and I can't help but feel like that was a huge missed opportunity, but I can imagine that budget constraints would severely limit what they could do with all that anyways. Sorry if I came across as immature or whiny.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:This might be rude but I kind of feel like I have to say it.

Fair enough-I guess it feels more like that they give us this backstory AFTER the fact and I can't help but feel like that was a huge missed opportunity, but I can imagine that budget constraints would severely limit what they could do with all that anyways. Sorry if I came across as immature or whiny.
Nah, man. That's a very mature rebuttal.

I don't mean to say it wouldn't be awesome (it would) just that it was always meant to be a tie in, not what the anime was supposed to be

RIP Evan.

King of the Monsters
Monarch Researcher

Post by King of the Monsters »

According to Oki, Toho and Urobuchi basically gave him a list of requirements and things that had to happen, and he was allowed to fill in the blanks however he wished. Oki clearly had a fair deal of leeway, as he retconned a few details like 2000 nukes being used to open a fault to 2000 nukes being used to set off Nanometal buried underground to open a fault, and SpaceGodzilla was apparently one of the monsters on his checklist he had to use but he didn't because he couldn't find a way to include him. The only thing I know for sure that he proposed which was shot down was the Gargantuas. Seichi Shirato, the "setting supervisor" for the novels, didn't think it would be right to include the Gargantuas without Frankenstein being part of their backstory.
Bureaucrat on Wikizilla. No, not Gojipedia.