ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Millenial88 »

UltramanGoji wrote:It's awful, but I love it nonetheless. The more English Ultra-stuff we get, the better.
I’m fine with dubs, but it’s on a case-to-case basis these days.
Hell, even the Ultraman ‘66 dub has its issues.

Next time, hire NYAV Post. High quality work at non-union prices.
Last edited by Millenial88 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Cringe all you want, fools, but I can finally rejoice in the fact that we're getting official English material for the Ultra series again!
(No offense to the people who don't mind the dub, or who just don't like it that much. I respect your taste in spite of my crude humour.)
Last edited by Titanoterror98 on Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Whatever happened to the Orb and Geed movies? Are thy going to bring them to theaters like they did with X and Ginga or not?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Oh great, Mecha Gomora again. And some Black Panther-tier CGI (Though not that CGI in Toku TV shows is ever any good). Aside from that, looks fun. And looks like there will be at least 3 Pigmons!
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

If the rumors are true, than Anno's gone made, because he wants to make Shin Ultraman.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Lol, will 3.0+1.0 get delayed again? Evangelion fans are going to riot.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

TsuPro has debunked the rumor.

Added in 33 minutes 51 seconds:
https://twitter.com/ragoneaugust/status ... 27872?s=21

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Birdman wrote:If the rumors are true, than Anno's gone made, because he wants to make Shin Ultraman.
All's right with the world.

Seriously, this is one of the best possible ideas I've heard.

LET HIM DO IT.

Added in 3 minutes 21 seconds:
annnnnnnd just read UG's twitter link.

Oh, well maybe someday.

'Hopefully won't be the first time Ragone's been wrong about a Shin. :lol:
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Wed Mar 06, 2019 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RIP Evan.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/ultrama ... w-ultraman

Talk with the people making the US/international adaptation of the Ultraman franchise.

There's a good bit of discussion of the recent Ultraman series being skewing far too kid-friendly and making it hard for older audience to enjoy the show. This is good because I am really looking forward to a more mature or family-accessible tone in future Ultraman series. So hopefully an Ultraman series that is similar to the MCU in terms of tone and seriousness will be developed in the near future.

The toy gimmicks and lack of world-building depth in the Ultra-series is something that has turned away older audience and it seems that even Tsuburaya themselves are aware of such problems.
LegendZilla wrote:Not sure if I said this before, but I would like to see a future series return to the Tiga/Dyna continuity.
The Tiga/Dyna continuity has a huge potential because all the depth that recent Ultra-series lacks. It's more of a commentary on human society as a whole that makes it feel similar to shows like Star Trek in many ways. There's a lot of exploration of technology and its impact on human society, which is more sci-fi than the newer shows ( which are less sci-fi).

Hopefully the sci-fi element will return to the franchise. The recent Ultraman series have been quite disappointing in that regard.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

ray243 wrote:https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/ultrama ... w-ultraman

Talk with the people making the US/international adaptation of the Ultraman franchise.

There's a good bit of discussion of the recent Ultraman series being skewing far too kid-friendly and making it hard for older audience to enjoy the show. This is good because I am really looking forward to a more mature or family-accessible tone in future Ultraman series. So hopefully an Ultraman series that is similar to the MCU in terms of tone and seriousness will be developed in the near future.

The toy gimmicks and lack of world-building depth in the Ultra-series is something that has turned away older audience and it seems that even Tsuburaya themselves are aware of such problems.
LegendZilla wrote:Not sure if I said this before, but I would like to see a future series return to the Tiga/Dyna continuity.
The Tiga/Dyna continuity has a huge potential because all the depth that recent Ultra-series lacks. It's more of a commentary on human society as a whole that makes it feel similar to shows like Star Trek in many ways. There's a lot of exploration of technology and its impact on human society, which is more sci-fi than the newer shows ( which are less sci-fi).

Hopefully the sci-fi element will return to the franchise. The recent Ultraman series have been quite disappointing in that regard.
We have been getting small episodic nuggets of a more challenging/eclectic take on Ultraman across the recent series. But on the whole, I have to agree with you that the recent TV Tokyo entries are tipping hard toward the kid audience. I just hope that Tsuburaya doesn’t make yet another decision of a swinging the pendulum too hard towards ‘dark’, since those entries often end up embarrassingly dull for my taste.

As for Mr. Gomez, hearing a fellow fan go through the intricacies of UM is reassuring, knowing that he’s the one helping the franchise gain a foothold in the west. Realistically though, I don’t think Ultraman will crack mainstream America the way it is. The technology behind the production - Suitmation & miniature sets - will most likely be sacrificed and replaced with standard TV pipeline-friendly CGI which, as minor a gripe as it may be for a lot of people, will take part of its uniqueness out of the equation for me. If an Ultraman series for the international audience actually happens, I hope that Tsuburaya finds a production company who respects the franchise as much as he does.

At best, this brand new lore that Mr. Gomez is creating will bolster the quality of the mainline series in Japan and make it appear more salivating to streaming services like CR (if the choose to continue streaming the series)
Last edited by Millenial88 on Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

ray243
Monarch Researcher

Post by ray243 »

Millenial88 wrote:
ray243 wrote:https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/ultrama ... w-ultraman

We have been getting small episodic nuggets of a more challenging/eclectic take on Ultraman across the recent series. But on the whole, I have to agree with you that the recent TV Tokyo entries are tipping hard toward the kid audience. I just hope that Tsuburaya doesn’t make yet another decision of a swinging the pendulum too hard towards ‘dark’, since those entries often end up embarrassingly dull for my taste.

As for Mr. Gomez, hearing a fellow fan go through the intricacies of UM is reassuring, knowing that he’s the one helping the franchise gain a foothold in the west. Realistically though, I don’t think Ultraman will crack mainstream America the way it is. The technology behind the production - Suitmation & miniature sets - will most likely be sacrificed and replaced with standard TV pipeline-friendly CGI which, as minor a gripe as it may be for a lot of people, will take part of its uniqueness out of the equation for me. If an Ultraman series for the international audience actually happens, I hope that Tsuburaya finds a production company who respects the franchise as much as he does.

At best, this brand new lore that Mr. Gomez is creating will bolster the quality of the mainline series in Japan and make it appear more salivating to streaming services like CR (if the choose to continue streaming the series)
It needs a balance of "darkness" with levity. My personal reason for liking Tiga so much is because I think it strike a nice balance for me as a kid. Ideally Ultraman should capture the tone of shows like Doctor Who or the older Star Trek series? Those are family shows that appeals to children without losing their maturity.

I'm fine with CGI considering Tsuburaya themselves have experimented with CGI before. The CGI just needs to be of better quality.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What streaming service will it be on?

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

EDIT: wrong thread.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Our first look at Ultraman Taiga.

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

Birdman wrote:Our first look at Ultraman Taiga.

This has the potential to look super gaudy.

That said, I love how they’re leaning hard into Taro for the design.
Last edited by Millenial88 on Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

The DCD game, Ultraman Fusion Fight is getting an English release in Indonisia next month, and Matt Frank has revealed that he will be voicing Ultraman Belial in the game.

That's... a thing.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Didn't they say that this year, they will be featuring a trio of Ultra heroes?

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

LegendZilla wrote:

Didn't they say that this year, they will be featuring a trio of Ultra heroes?
Yes, three names were copyrighted - Taiga, Titus and Fuma. Remember that only Rosso's silhouette was revealed this time last year and we had to wait until the following month to see Blu. It will most likely be the same case this year too.

Two items, the Taiga Spark and Tregear Eye, were also copyrighted, so I guess Tregear is back already.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

A new show already? Didn't R/B just end?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:A new show already? Didn't R/B just end?
A new show in a few months, yes. Don't you know how these shows roll?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....