Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Post by Rhedosaurus »

In Super Godzilla, MKG has high health and powerful attacks and in Godzilla: Save The Earth, he's quite strong. In theory, he's weak to energy weapons, but he's got the shield which absorbs them as health, except for 'super attacks' ah la Heisei Godzilla's Final Ray.

Yet in the one movie he's in, he was killed by Godzilla.

Why is he made so powerful in non-movie media when he wasn't that strong in the actual movie?

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Why is MKG so strong in games, fanart, etc?

Post by Spuro »

Rhedosaurus wrote:In Super Godzilla, MKG has high health and powerful attacks and in Godzilla: Save The Earth, he's quite strong. In theory, he's weak to energy weapons, but he's got the shield which absorbs them as health, except for 'super attacks' ah la Heisei Godzilla's Final Ray.

Why is he made so powerful in non-movie media when he wasn't that strong in the actual movie?

Because most of those games were fighting games, which require their roster to be as balanced as they can. Same reason you can play as Anguirus and fight Destoroyah or Mechagodzilla on equal footing.

In the case of Super Godzilla, he was just a boss. Bosses are usually stronger than the player in games.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:In Super Godzilla, MKG has high health and powerful attacks and in Godzilla: Save The Earth, he's quite strong. In theory, he's weak to energy weapons, but he's got the shield which absorbs them as health, except for 'super attacks' ah la Heisei Godzilla's Final Ray.

Because most of those games were fighting games, which require their roster to be as balanced as they can. Same reason you can play as Anguirus and fight Destoroyah or Mechagodzilla on equal footing.

In the case of Super Godzilla, he was just a boss. Bosses are usually stronger than the player in games.
But in Godzilla: Save The Earth, he's OP. At least when you fight him.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

MKG was quite powerful in the movie, he was just outclassed by the massively stronger than normal Heisei Godzilla.

There's also the perception that he's bigger and badder Ghidorah with more bells and whistles thanks to being a cyborg.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I’ve always wondered about this. I think a large problem is that MKG just sortve appears at the end of Godzilla vs KG, and has zero screentime except for the fight. I’ve always wondered if it’s actually significantly stronger then regular Heisei Ghidorah. The simple answer is yes, but probably not OP. The big advantage that MKG has over standard Heisei Ghidorah, is actually the grappler arm. It makes up for Ghidorah’s lack of melee abilities and gives it some versatility. I suppose the fact that it’s armed with weapons, and piloted makes it stronger as well.

In terms of why it’s OP in other mediums a lot of it is just that they’re videogames or what not. In that GBA Godzilla game, MKG was the final boss, and gigantic, most likely just because hey it’s the final boss. Additionally IIRC originally it was supposed to be biollante
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I'm not sure how much use the Godzilla Grip arm would be against anybody more agile than Heisei Godzilla; it seemed pretty slow and clunky. And the human pilot is as much weakness as strength, since she can be easily knocked out or killed if MKG is bashed around too much.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

JAGzilla wrote:I'm not sure how much use the Godzilla Grip arm would be against anybody more agile than Heisei Godzilla; it seemed pretty slow and clunky. And the human pilot is as much weakness as strength, since she can be easily knocked out or killed if MKG is bashed around too much.
Yeah I guess you have a point. Plus a lot of other monsters, that it would be good against would probably lose against KG anyways.

I actually forgot it’s a human pilot and not just a computer. If MKG was remote controlled I would say that might be an upgrade.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:I'm not sure how much use the Godzilla Grip arm would be against anybody more agile than Heisei Godzilla; it seemed pretty slow and clunky. And the human pilot is as much weakness as strength, since she can be easily knocked out or killed if MKG is bashed around too much.
Yeah I guess you have a point. Plus a lot of other monsters, that it would be good against would probably lose against KG anyways.

I actually forgot it’s a human pilot and not just a computer. If MKG was remote controlled I would say that might be an upgrade.
And I have question about the durability of the rods that support that giant grappling claw. One death ray would most likely sever it from MKG really quick.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Plus, that big claw would be useless against quadrupeds.

The simple answer is that video games need strong bosses, and a cyborg with multiple weapons makes a convenient one.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

TitanoGoji16
KWC Kontroller
KWC Kontroller

Post by TitanoGoji16 »

Rhedosaurus wrote:And I have question about the durability of the rods that support that giant grappling claw. One death ray would most likely sever it from MKG really quick.
Didn't Godzilla blast it a few times during the fight? It held up until Mechaghidorah finally crapped out and crashed into the sea.
"Name me one fight where Anguirus didn't get his dick kicked in."

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

TitanoGoji16 wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:And I have question about the durability of the rods that support that giant grappling claw. One death ray would most likely sever it from MKG really quick.
Didn't Godzilla blast it a few times during the fight? It held up until Mechaghidorah finally crapped out and crashed into the sea.
Yeah I was gonna say that MKG, up until the end held his own and pretty much put Godzilla in his place. MKG weakened Godzilla to a point of carrying him out into the ocean where unfortunately MKG met his demise.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Because MKG is treated as stronger than KG who is treated as one of if not Godilla's strongest opponent. King Ghidorah is treated much better in games fanart etc then he has been by Toho in a while.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
TitanoGoji16 wrote:
Yeah I was gonna say that MKG, up until the end held his own and pretty much put Godzilla in his place. MKG weakened Godzilla to a point of carrying him out into the ocean where unfortunately MKG met his demise.

I haven't seen the movie in a few years, but MKG definitely wasn't firmly in control of the fight until the claw and cables were deployed. Godzilla's blasting even knocked Emmy out at one point and left MKG defenseless until she recovered.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Why is he made so powerful in non-movie media when he wasn't that strong in the actual movie?
Because of the way video games are structured. If you fight King Ghidorah as an early boss and then later fight Mecha-King Ghidorah as a boss he should be harder, as games generally progress the difficulty as you get along.

Anyway, if you want a counter example, Mecha-King Ghidorah is directly inferior to the regular Heisei series King Ghidorah in the Turbo Duo game:

https://www.tohokingdom.com/vg/gturbo/m ... idorah.htm
If it bites... don't mess with it!