Titan Design Thread: Godzilla (2019)

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

What Do You Think?

Love it!
88%
Hate it...
No votes
I liked 2014 better.
8%
Meh.
4%

Total votes: 77

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Re: Titan Design Thread: Godzilla

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

THis thread already exists

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=28238
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Titan Design Thread: Godzilla (2019)

Post by BlankAccount »

I honestly would not be surprised if they change his design a third time for Godzilla vs Kong just to sell more toys.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Living Corpse wrote:I honestly would not be surprised if they change his design a third time for Godzilla vs Kong just to sell more toys.
Judging from what we've seen in Showa, Heisei, G2000-GvM, and to the Kiryu Saga, they probably will to some degree.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

The new TotalFilm article has a quote saying Godzilla's head is a little smaller than it was last time, and I don’t really see it. This got me thinking, is there any official comparison that shows the two Godzillas side by side?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

LockBite wrote:The new TotalFilm article has a quote saying Godzilla's head is a little smaller than it was last time, and I don’t really see it. This got me thinking, is there any official comparison that shows the two Godzillas side by side?
Is it a direct quote from Dougherty, or just an assumption by TF? Because tbh I don't see it either. Aside from the new spines, claws and slightly stubbier tail, it looks about the same proportions wise to 2014.

Anonziller
Samurai

Post by Anonziller »

Living Corpse wrote:I honestly would not be surprised if they change his design a third time for Godzilla vs Kong just to sell more toys.
The only changes I'd like to see is with the tail, I get what Dougherty is going for with the rounded classic look and it looks great but if they brought back the point his design would be perfect.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

You guys think they'll slim him down so he can tussle a bit faster with the big ape in 2020? Maybe to make him a bit more athletic looking?

I personally prefer the walking tank Heisei style bear stance he has going right now.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

LockBite wrote:The new TotalFilm article has a quote saying Godzilla's head is a little smaller than it was last time, and I don’t really see it. This got me thinking, is there any official comparison that shows the two Godzillas side by side?
If Dougherty himself said it, that would confirm my suspicions. After watching the trailers I've always felt that Godzilla'a head looked a little smaller. The slight change in size makes him look a bit off in wider shots. If that makes sense. Overall, I still love the design.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

The only changes I have noticed are the slight feet changes, the more rounded tail and the bigger spines.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Kind of disappointed the gills still don't glow when he's getting his Atomic Fire ready. A nitpick, overall I'm happy with the design, the eyes glowing is pretty cool.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

What further modifications could they give his design next time around? I am guessing colored patches on his brow-ridges, the tips of his spines be white, and a couple of scars he receives over the course of this movie.

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

AtomicMorningBreath wrote:
If Dougherty himself said it, that would confirm my suspicions. After watching the trailers I've always felt that Godzilla'a head looked a little smaller. The slight change in size makes him look a bit off in wider shots. If that makes sense. Overall, I still love the design.
His neck is much wider I noticed that's probably y
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

The only change that bugs me is the shorter tail. I loved the length and sharp whip like tip of the 2014 tail. It felt more aggressive.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

cloverfan98 wrote:The only change that bugs me is the shorter tail. I loved the length and sharp whip like tip of the 2014 tail. It felt more aggressive.
This
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

gottatalktothefake wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:The only change that bugs me is the shorter tail. I loved the length and sharp whip like tip of the 2014 tail. It felt more aggressive.
This
Double this. I know the rounded tail is a classic, but I've always liked the pointy-tailed design of the original suit and the Millennium suits.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Steel Hellkite
Samurai

Post by Steel Hellkite »

Did they spread his shoulders out a little bit, or is that just me? That was about my biggest complaint with the 2014, was that if you were looking at him straight on his shoulders seemed to be way too narrow to me. I don't seem to notice that so far, though the trailers don't really show that particular angle. Aside from that, I think everything else they've done is an improvement, especially the spines. My favorite suit is 89, but this thing honestly looks like it's going to give that a run for its money. Guess I'll have to wait to see the movie to really judge that though., but they did very well with this.
Last edited by Steel Hellkite on Wed Mar 13, 2019 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Steel Hellkite wrote:Did they spread his shoulders out a little bit, or is that just me?
Yes, I recall Dougherty saying that they broadened the shoulders a bit here.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I really hope the art book has a direct visual comparison to show the changes. It would be cool if there turned out to be really subtle things like skin texture that none of us noticed.