Kaiju pet peeves

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Kaiju pet peeves

Post by BlankAccount »

We're gonna be three films in this summer and I still have to explain to people (who saw the previous two films) what the Monsterverse is.

Silly I know.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Godzillian wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:
Godzillian wrote: Except they pulled an entire Rodan rampage scene from the original movie
Monster Zero uses just over a minute of footage from the seven minute rampage sequence from Rodan.
And yet it's obviously from another movie since the suits don't match, hardly the best use of stock footage
You see the original Rodan design, from the waist down, for a literal second. How is that not better than what would be done in Godzilla's Revenge, Gigan, and Megalon where the dissimilar suits would be on proud display? Plus, Monster Zero borrows from a sequence that matches the time of day its action is set. Gigan and Megalon unconvincingly darken daylight to pass it off as nighttime.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:The weirdest thing though, is that Gigan is IN Godzilla vs Megalon, so why not just have Gigan do that and not Megalon.
Because it was easier and cheaper to cut in brief shots of Gigan's claws smashing planes than filming new footage. Actually it's probably more accurate to say they cut out the "reaction shots" of Gigan and cut in a handful of shots of Megalon to the old sequence.

No no I get that. I’m saying Gigan was in the film. So why not have Gigan cannonically destroy the jet fighters. It would be stock footage, but then pure actually watching Gigan destroy them. I guess they wanted more Megalon destruction.
I didn’t make my point very well originally. Consider this timeline:

Script is written with Megalon vs JSDF jets sequence. Fukuda and Nakano then set out compiling footage to reuse in the new film. At this point they realize they have the Gigan vs the jets sequence from the previous film, but it’s still easier to cut out the shots of Gigan and film new minimal material of Megalon to match those shots than it would be to rearrange the story.

That’s how I imagine it went anyway. That or they didn’t care that Gigan’s claws don’t perfectly match Megalon’s since those shots only last a few frames each.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

kamilleblu wrote:
Godzillian wrote:
kamilleblu wrote: Monster Zero uses just over a minute of footage from the seven minute rampage sequence from Rodan.
And yet it's obviously from another movie since the suits don't match, hardly the best use of stock footage
You see the original Rodan design, from the waist down, for a literal second. How is that not better than what would be done in Godzilla's Revenge, Gigan, and Megalon where the dissimilar suits would be on proud display? Plus, Monster Zero borrows from a sequence that matches the time of day its action is set. Gigan and Megalon unconvincingly darken daylight to pass it off as nighttime.
I never compared it to the other films, all I'm saying is that the sequence entitled isn't as seamless as people are saying

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:
Because it was easier and cheaper to cut in brief shots of Gigan's claws smashing planes than filming new footage. Actually it's probably more accurate to say they cut out the "reaction shots" of Gigan and cut in a handful of shots of Megalon to the old sequence.

No no I get that. I’m saying Gigan was in the film. So why not have Gigan cannonically destroy the jet fighters. It would be stock footage, but then pure actually watching Gigan destroy them. I guess they wanted more Megalon destruction.
I didn’t make my point very well originally. Consider this timeline:

Script is written with Megalon vs JSDF jets sequence. Fukuda and Nakano then set out compiling footage to reuse in the new film. At this point they realize they have the Gigan vs the jets sequence from the previous film, but it’s still easier to cut out the shots of Gigan and film new minimal material of Megalon to match those shots than it would be to rearrange the story.

That’s how I imagine it went anyway. That or they didn’t care that Gigan’s claws don’t perfectly match Megalon’s since those shots only last a few frames each.
Okay that makes a lot of sense actually. They weren’t writing films based on what they already had, rather what could be reused once they realized they needed it.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

These movies really weren’t made to pause and go frame by frame.
Last edited by Ben Shapiro on Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Facts don't care about your feelings

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Okay that makes a lot of sense actually. They weren’t writing films based on what they already had, rather what could be reused once they realized they needed it.
Yeah, I think so. Look at all the ideas in the various story treatments that led to Godzilla vs. Gigan and even how ambitious the final film tried to be despite the low budget. They weren’t letting the production restrictions handicap their creativity.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Terasawa wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Okay that makes a lot of sense actually. They weren’t writing films based on what they already had, rather what could be reused once they realized they needed it.
Yeah, I think so. Look at all the ideas in the various story treatments that led to Godzilla vs. Gigan and even how ambitious the final film tried to be despite the low budget. They weren’t letting the production restrictions handicap their creativity.
The Lost Films book covers a lot of this. There were times Toho just said no to scripts because they would cost too much.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: They weren’t writing films based on what they already had, rather what could be reused once they realized they needed it.
No, say it aint so..... :cry: .

Tell me you're lying LSD. That its just to troll us.

It's like a punch to the gut to know they centered the Showa movies on how to re-use old footage.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I garuntee Megalon was given a yellow horn laser to reuse some destruction scenes from GTTHM and IOTAM.

As an aside, none of this was noticeable when I was a child. But now it is when I do marathons before upcoming films and watch them all back to back to back.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Godzillian wrote:I never compared it to the other films, all I'm saying is that the sequence entitled isn't as seamless as people are saying
Ah. I never said it was seamless. The grain gives it away. I was comparing it against other Godzilla films that used stock footage. But I applaud them for limiting the recycled footage mainly to city destruction/tanks, matching the lighting, and mixing it with the new material pretty thoroughly.