Talkback: Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Talkback: Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: Nope not at all. The Heisei Gamera Trilogy are IMO not only the best kaiju films but also equally my favorite film of all time. This is how kaiju films should be done and none IMO will ever top these.
I'm curious, what do you think of GMK? Same director of the Gamera trilogy.
PitchBlackProgress wrote:I don’t understand why this one was always held in such high regards, the plot drags, doesn’t match the tone and mood of the previous two, Gamera seems even less of a force/character than Godzilla does in the anime or G14…
Honestly, I'm in the same boat. I dont want to say it felt too edgy, but something was off.
Even then I always thought the effects were the most groundbreaking thing of this trilogy, I guess I got into Gamera too late.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I'm curious, what do you think of GMK? Same director of the Gamera trilogy.
Easily among the best Godzilla films no doubt and I especially like the new approach it took with Godzilla. Used to have a problem with King Ghidorah being a good guy but since gotten over that since he used to be evil IIRC.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Does anyone know if they plan to release Gameta 3 in 4K? Would be awesome.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Godzilla21 wrote:Does anyone know if they plan to release Gameta 3 in 4K? Would be awesome.
They released a 4k remaster in Japan.
https://www.amazon.co.jp/Gamera-Heisei- ... VRQENFRJN5
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

https://youtu.be/P0nw6fvOQMs

^Blunova's video about G3 really opened my eyes on this one a bit more; his videos in general are great. THIS guy is what kaiju, anime, and film in general channels should be like.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Today marks 20 years since this film has been made. Watched it a few weeks ago again and it still holds up as with the other two! :huge:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sat Mar 02, 2019 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Today marks 20 years since this film has been made. Watched it a few weeks ago again and it still holds up as with the other two! :huge:
Out of 10, what would you give each film in the trilogy?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Out of 10, what would you give each film in the trilogy?
I love all three equally and being they're my favorite films ever.

11+ out of 10.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Out of 10, what would you give each film in the trilogy?
I love all three equally and being they're my favorite films ever.

11+ out of 10.
rrrrrrrrrrnnnnnnnttt

The correct answer is...

Thirty seven.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Today marks 20 years since this film has been made. Watched it a few weeks ago again and it still holds up as with the other two! :huge:
Would you rather watch the Gamera trilogy or have sex with Scarlet Johansson? Im genuinely curious
SpaceG92 wrote:

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Out of 10, what would you give each film in the trilogy?
I gave all three 7/10 on IMDb, where I try to consider more than just "I like the way Gamera blows up Gyaos," but even then I think my appreciation of them as monster movies influenced me to give them all higher ratings than they probably truly deserve when all cinema is considered. And that's not to say they aren't good movies, because they certainly are. 70% is getting into "great" territory and that's where I have to ask myself if these are truly great cinematic works.

As kaiju films they're all three 5/5 and if I had to rank them against each other I'd go with the release order. Guardian is just such a classic kaiju movie and while I appreciate what the sequels did with the genre it's still the first film that connects best with me.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Godzilla21 wrote: Would you rather watch the Gamera trilogy or have sex with Scarlet Johansson? Im genuinely curious
Not to be a Grievous about a person but Scarlett is way past her prime, should have asked about someone else
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Terasawa wrote: 70% is getting into "great" territory and that's where I have to ask myself if these are truly great cinematic works.
Excuse me Terasawa but my teacher told me a 70% is a C so its definitely not "great" territory
SpaceG92 wrote:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Terasawa wrote: 70% is getting into "great" territory and that's where I have to ask myself if these are truly great cinematic works.
Excuse me Terasawa but my teacher told me a 70% is a C so its definitely not "great" territory

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Godzilla21 wrote:
Your teacher lied so you'd study harder!

I know you're kidding but I'm gonna explain anyway because I can. I really don't like rating movies or anything subjective such as art but I do it on IMDb so I can keep track of what I've seen and if I liked it or not. If I were to print out all of my ratings and charted it I would probably have a bell curve. I think that makes sense when you consider there are far fewer 1 and 10 star movies than there are 4-7. I guess under those circumstances a 7 would still just be the high end of "good" with 8-10 being the "great" movies. The difference with a grading scale is that anything below ~65% might as well be a 0 since it's a failing score. Also I probably shouldn't have used a percentage in my previous post but I was a C student so I'm prone to mistakes.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

ApexOversteer
JXSDF Technician

Post by ApexOversteer »

GIII is still in my top 5 all-time favorite Kaiju films, twenty years later...

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote: Would you rather watch the Gamera trilogy or have sex with Scarlet Johansson? Im genuinely curious
Not to be a Grievous about a person but Scarlett is way past her prime, should have asked about someone else
And no one would still turn her down
SpaceG92 wrote:

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Terasawa wrote:I think my appreciation of them as monster movies influenced me to give them all higher ratings than they probably truly deserve when all cinema is considered. And that's not to say they aren't good movies, because they certainly are. 70% is getting into "great" territory and that's where I have to ask myself if these are truly great cinematic works.
Stuff like this is beside the point to me because as long as a movie fulfills its purpose, whatever it may be, it is a great cinematic work. It doesn't have to be some prestigious masterpiece, it just has to do its job right. This ranges from so called low to highbrow and back again.

The Gamera trilogy is still considered the high watermark of contemporary kaiju/tokusatsu movies, it'll always be appreciated by those that really care for this stuff, and that's enough.
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Not to be a Grievous Edgy Shitlord about a person but Scarlett is way past her prime, should have asked about someone else
Yeah that's more like it.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

70% qualifies as "great"? I could see "very good," maybe even "outstanding" or "excellent," but not "great."

To me, to achieve greatness, a movie has to have at least one moment that I would call "transcendent." A moment during which I lose sight of everything except the overpowering emotion of what is happening on screen. A moment of pure impact.

I guess I don't know how to translate that into an aspect of some kind of overall percentage for a movie, because it simply has no calculable aspect.

But I think that in an otherwise basically enjoyable movie, having such a moment would have to boost that score way above 70%.

And, yeah, I think GIII has one or two moments like that.
Last edited by eabaker on Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Happy 20 years, Gamera 3! The one Gamera film that truly proved to be one of the GOAT of kaiju movies!
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing