Mandela Effect in Godzilla

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Mandela Effect in Godzilla

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think a lot of the confusion of Mechagodzilla and Angurius actually has to do with the similarities with other scenes involving Angurius and Godzilla throughout the showa series.

The fight with Mechagodzilla, disguised as Godzilla, isn’t that far off from how the fight goes in Godzilla raids again. Godzilla/FakeGodzilla, curbstomps Angurius, ending with Angurius having his jaw torn/broken. Considering many people assumed that this scene took place at night, the reason may be they’re mixing up in their minds those two fights, because GRA was in black and white.

To add to this, the movie prior, Godzilla vs Gigan, features a brief scene where Angurius goes on land, only to have a brief skirmish with the JDSF. Bear in mind the suits are the same I think, so that might be another mixing of memories. Basically the overuse of Anguruius, in similar situations, is probably leading to all these weird beliefs involving GVMG. It’s also worth noting, IIRC, the following scene after the Anguruius scene, is Godzilla confronting the fake Godzilla at night. So there’s that too. Basically, scenes from GRA, GVG and GVMG all sort of blend together.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think a lot of the confusion of Mechagodzilla and Angurius actually has to do with the similarities with other scenes involving Angurius and Godzilla throughout the showa series.

The fight with Mechagodzilla, disguised as Godzilla, isn’t that far off from how the fight goes in Godzilla raids again. Godzilla/FakeGodzilla, curbstomps Angurius, ending with Angurius having his jaw torn/broken. Considering many people assumed that this scene took place at night, the reason may be they’re mixing up in their minds those two fights, because GRA was in black and white.

To add to this, the movie prior, Godzilla vs Gigan, features a brief scene where Angurius goes on land, only to have a brief skirmish with the JDSF. Bear in mind the suits are the same I think, so that might be another mixing of memories. Basically the overuse of Anguruius, in similar situations, is probably leading to all these weird beliefs involving GVMG. It’s also worth noting, IIRC, the following scene after the Anguruius scene, is Godzilla confronting the fake Godzilla at night. So there’s that too. Basically, scenes from GRA, GVG and GVMG all sort of blend together.
Don't disagree with this, but wouldn't rewatching the films clear us of these memories to some extent?

Though, I guess not. I still have a very distinct memory of a scene from the film Orca that just never happens, evidently, and yet it had a MAJOR impact on me when I saw it on TV so. Who knows.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Yeah, and for my part, pretty sure I had this impression before I saw GRA, so I don't know that that could've given the 'snowy mountain environment' mixup to me.

A ton of people 'saw' the original Star Wars deleted scenes in theaters (I also had one of my friends experience the same thing with Phantom Menace), based on nothing more than descriptions, or sometimes a still image or two. So I suspect that this kind of effect doesn't actually require a visual to conflate- just an impression, an idea.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I saw GvMG well before any of those other movies, though. You could possibly be right, but I don't know.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Video and possibly later broadcast versions of Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster were usually so dark that even the daytime battle between Angweerus and Fake Godzilla looks like it takes place at nighttime. Consider too that any video or broadcast version prior to 2002 was so tightly cropped that you can't really make out where the monsters are fighting; when you finally see the full anamorphic frame, such as on DVD or in the later SciFi Channel broadcasts, you can tell that the location is a mostly flat sound stage. It makes sense that younger viewers in the '80s and '90s would have imagined the battle took place on a mountainside since Fake Godzilla had just been seen on Mt. Fuji (and we get an establishing shot of the mountain not long before that) while Anguirus had been poking around on some dark hilly location earlier in the film.

I don't believe there's any bootleg or official release of this movie that was ever in circulation that featured an alternate version of that sequence. The only video version that's significantly edited is GoodTimes' 1993 Cosmic Monster cassette: their transfer is ten or more minutes shorter than the already edited U.S. version. And before anyone asks, I checked my copy of the GT tape and the battle is just as it was in every other version of the movie.
Last edited by Terasawa on Wed Feb 27, 2019 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

My mind did an interesting revision to Godzilla's Revenge when I was a youngster. So the stock footage of Godzilla wrecking the Kamacuras, I remembered as being something completely different. Instead of Godzilla, it was this completely non-existent monster that looked like a mix between Gorosaurus & Yongary, and instead of the three Kamacuras, it was two Mothra-like monsters. The fight mostly played out the same, only with a bit more fire breath. And I know this was Godzilla's Revenge that I was misremembering, because I do recall Ichiro watching the fight.

To this day, I'm still a wee bit bummed that that's not what happened in the film. :lol:
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

For a while I thought King Ghidorah wouldn't let Godzilla surface in Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla had to dive underwater and resurface down the coast to start fighting. Also thought Rodan and Angurius fought alongside him in that one.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I remember Orga not being in Godzilla 2000. Instead, Godzilla just fought and destroyed the Millennian UFO and then we had the ending. It wasn't until I watched Cinemassacre's Godzillathon's video on Godzilla 2000 three years later when I saw Orga and was thinking to myself "wait, when did that thing happen?" Then again, I did sleep for the majority of the movie when I first saw it and probably woke up just after Godzilla killed Orga.

I also remember the opening credits and ending song for Godzilla vs Gigan lasting a REALLY long time. Like, at least 5 minutes long.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

GmkGoji
Gotengo Officer

Post by GmkGoji »

I remember when I was younger and I watched Godzilla 2014 for the first time in a car on somebodies phone, I vividly remember a scene where Godzilla was on a TV broadcast with both his hands on buildings looking down. My memory probably got fuzzled due to the fact I had a slight headache at the time.
Resized Image
Heiki, hecchara!

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I always remembered that Mechagodzilla ripped Anguirus' tongue out.

Also, for the longest time I was always confused about when MechaGodzilla's "head inside his head" trick happened. I remember seeing it, but I didn't own Terror of MechaGodzilla, and every time the end of MechaG74 came up, I was always slightly confused about the 'little head' not being there underneath. For a long time I thought maybe I just made it up.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

miguelnuva wrote:For a while I thought King Ghidorah wouldn't let Godzilla surface in Godzilla vs Gigan and Godzilla had to dive underwater and resurface down the coast to start fighting.
Even if that didn't happen (in this universe at least) that's still a cool idea. Would make for a good, suspenseful action scene.
Resized Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

NSZ wrote:My mind did an interesting revision to Godzilla's Revenge when I was a youngster. So the stock footage of Godzilla wrecking the Kamacuras, I remembered as being something completely different. Instead of Godzilla, it was this completely non-existent monster that looked like a mix between Gorosaurus & Yongary, and instead of the three Kamacuras, it was two Mothra-like monsters. The fight mostly played out the same, only with a bit more fire breath. And I know this was Godzilla's Revenge that I was misremembering, because I do recall Ichiro watching the fight.

To this day, I'm still a wee bit bummed that that's not what happened in the film. :lol:
I found that first monster you mentioned.

As for my own Mandella effect, it isn't related to Godzilla. For alot of my life, I thought Gamera vs Garasharp was fully filmed and released. I only found out that it was canned and the footage I watched was from a re-enactment.
Last edited by Cryptid_Liker on Fri Jul 03, 2020 1:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I distinctly remember Moguera being destroyed in Godzilla vs Spacegodzilla after the fight in space, and when it when it out control it was gone for good and that when Moguera appears again it's a completely separate mech that was built. I think the reason for this is that the scene selection for the DVD I have has scenes titled like "Spacegodzilla vs Moguera II" or something with "Moguera II" after the space sequence, but before the space sequence it doesn't add the II.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Here's a riddle for the ages. When I was a kid my dad swore up and down that when he saw Godzilla King of The Monsters they killed him by shooting a bomb into his mouth. He did watch GKOTM with me so he knew the ending. I was curious and I was learning that the Japanese version was changed when it was brought over. Now I'm positive my dad saw The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms but a year ago my older brother had a new idea. He had watched Varan and is sure that's what dad saw. Y`Ya know casuals and anything Godzillaesque. Sadly he's been dead for almost 20 years now so we can't show him Varan and see if it clicks. His last clue was he swore the final line was `he picks his teeth with them.`

NSZ
Xilien Halfling

Post by NSZ »

"Picks his teeth with 'em"? Yeah, that's definitely a line from The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms, sounds like your old man was conflating a whole mess of monster movies.
"But, uh, you hadn't told us to listen to you yet. So I didn't."

"No one takes the Tank Police seriously anymore!"

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I remember seeing Gigan fighting in the climax of GMK. I have a weird mind.
Sorry for replying to a 2 year old comment, but I just want to say that Gigan appearing in GMK would've been hella cool.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

When I was younger and I watched Godzilla's Revenge for some reason I remember seeing the King Ghidorah and Anguirus fight from DAM.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

GmkGoji wrote:I remember when I was younger and I watched Godzilla 2014 for the first time in a car on somebodies phone, I vividly remember a scene where Godzilla was on a TV broadcast with both his hands on buildings looking down. My memory probably got fuzzled due to the fact I had a slight headache at the time.
I think you were seeing the moment where Godzilla gets up and faces the MUTOs right after he and Ford have a staring contest..

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

For some reason, I thought the Vortaak from the Pipeworks Godzilla trilogy appeared in a Godzilla movie.

"That makes two of us."

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

CrimsonBloodX wrote:For some reason, I thought the Vortaak from the Pipeworks Godzilla trilogy appeared in a Godzilla movie.
They do look like the lovechildren of Xiliens and Kilaaks so maybe you confused those two for the Vortaak.