Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: Power Rangers/Super Sentai Thread

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:Added in 1 minute 19 seconds:

Why would it need to acknowledge Sentai in the film? It wouldn't have fit with the plot.
Not that it’s an inherently bad idea in and of itself. Any future Power Rangers reboot could easily embrace its Japanese roots by simply incorporating elements of the original Japanese Zyuranger into the storyline just as Voltron Voltron : Legendary Defender managed to intertwine the original Beast King Golion into its own.

When you come to think of it, it could really be a good way to flesh out the pre-existing characters and storyline. For example Rita Repulsa’s main reason for turning evil could be the untimely death of her son as the case with her Japanese counterpart, Bandora. Also, maybe the Rangers themselves could be the reincarnations or something of ancient warriors akin the the Zyurangers themselves, which is why Zordon chooses them instead of picking up random “teenagers with attitude”.
The only mmpr ranger chose at random was Tommy and that was because he fought evenly with Jason and then fought off putties with no power. Zordan mentions the rangers had qualities which is why he chose them. Also Rita was born evil her father was higher on the food chain than Zedd.
As I was saying, I am talking about a reboot in the form of an animated series or something.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LegendZilla wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Do any of you feel that the franchise seems almost ashamed of its Japanese roots? As evident of not acknowledging it in the 2017 film and the Hasbro takeover.
Why would it need to acknowledge Sentai in the film? It wouldn't have fit with the plot.
Not that it’s an inherently bad idea in and of itself. Any future Power Rangers reboot could easily embrace its Japanese roots by simply incorporating elements of the original Japanese Zyuranger into the storyline just as Voltron : Legendary Defender managed to intertwine the original Beast King Golion into its own.

When you come to think of it, it could really be a good way to flesh out the pre-existing characters and storyline. For example Rita Repulsa’s main reason for turning evil could be the untimely death of her son as the case with her Japanese counterpart, Bandora. Also, maybe the Rangers themselves could be the reincarnations or something of ancient warriors akin the the Zyurangers themselves, which is why Zordon chooses them instead of picking up random “teenagers with attitude”.
I mean I guess but at that point it just sounds like you want them to do a reboot of Zyurangers with ranger elements vs PR acknowledging Super Sentai.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Godzillian wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:

Not that it’s an inherently bad idea in and of itself. Any future Power Rangers reboot could easily embrace its Japanese roots by simply incorporating elements of the original Japanese Zyuranger into the storyline just as Voltron : Legendary Defender managed to intertwine the original Beast King Golion into its own.

I mean I guess but at that point it just sounds like you want them to do a reboot of Zyurangers with ranger elements vs PR acknowledging Super Sentai.
It could work as a reboot of both.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

I've always thought certain Sentai plot points could work in a Power Rangers reboot. I always thought a good arc for rebooting Tommy is to use more elements of Sentai by having him die when he gives the green ranger powers to jason like in Zuyranger but then he gets resurrected with the White Ranger powers.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

darthzilla99 wrote:I've always thought certain Sentai plot points could work in a Power Rangers reboot. I always thought a good arc for rebooting Tommy is to use more elements of Sentai by having him die when he gives the green ranger powers to jason like in Zuyranger but then he gets resurrected with the White Ranger powers.
If you do that though it takes away from Zedd. Zedd hunted the Green Ranger down to nothingness.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

miguelnuva wrote:
darthzilla99 wrote:I've always thought certain Sentai plot points could work in a Power Rangers reboot. I always thought a good arc for rebooting Tommy is to use more elements of Sentai by having him die when he gives the green ranger powers to jason like in Zuyranger but then he gets resurrected with the White Ranger powers.
If you do that though it takes away from Zedd. Zedd hunted the Green Ranger down to nothingness.
Depends on how they can re-imagine the story.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Between this:

And this:

I've got more faith than ever in Beast Morphers. Just these two clips show more care and originality than anything we've seen in the past 8 or so years.
Anyone else excited? :D
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

After I already coughed up for the steelbook set! Still, it's good that they're doing that. The Blu-ray looks pretty good.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

Just arrived:

Of course, I won't have time to start it until next week, but oh well.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Just curious, is the Japanese Blu-Ray of Dekaranger an upscale or not?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

Going to back to the age old topic of a Power Rangers animated reboot, I'd like to see something that isn't afraid to lean into the wackier side of the series. Of course, I'd love to see more worldbuilding and drama akin to Voltron: Legendary Defender, but I think it's just as important that this reboot keep that feeling of fun and to use the medium to make the most exciting and appealing animation possible. The last thing I want is another PR reboot that feels good but looks terrible. Oh and more villains like second or third-act reboot Rita who have personality, and less like first-act reboot Rita or reboot Goldar who are a generic slasher villain and a generic finale monster, respectively.
Aside from Voltron and Boom Comics, my ideal reboot would take cues from FLCL, Soul Eater, Motor City, Gurren Lagann, and Transformers Animated. I know this has probably been said before, but I'd also like to see them use CG in the giant battles like in Voltron or SSSS.Gridman because that best captures the feeling of tokusatsu without suffering from it's restraints.

On a totally unrelated note, what do you guys think of the word, "Zord?" I thought it was okay when they were using it for robot dinosaurs, and "Megazord/Ultrazord" does sound cool still, but as the series went on I can't help but wonder if it still works. Zordon doesn't play that big a role anymore and not a lot of the mecha look like "zords." E.g. SPD calling the individual mecha "Delta Runners" is cool, but Turbo and the "Car Zords" are not.
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Titanoterror98 wrote:Going to back to the age old topic of a Power Rangers animated reboot, I'd like to see something that isn't afraid to lean into the wackier side of the series. Of course, I'd love to see more worldbuilding and drama akin to Voltron: Legendary Defender, but I think it's just as important that this reboot keep that feeling of fun and to use the medium to make the most exciting and appealing animation possible.
Voltron LD was not without its dose of comedy littered throughout the series, but it was never at the forefront. A animated PR reboot should do the same.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

LegendZilla wrote:
Titanoterror98 wrote:Going to back to the age old topic of a Power Rangers animated reboot, I'd like to see something that isn't afraid to lean into the wackier side of the series. Of course, I'd love to see more worldbuilding and drama akin to Voltron: Legendary Defender, but I think it's just as important that this reboot keep that feeling of fun and to use the medium to make the most exciting and appealing animation possible.
Voltron LD was not without its dose of comedy littered throughout the series, but it was never at the forefront. A animated PR reboot should do the same.
My thoughts exactly!

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

King Brachion arrived today:

Honestly, had I not sold off my Legacy Titanus to pay for 2/3rds of him, I probably would have been a bit disappointed. He's great and all, I love the detail work and I love that they have a piece to connect Daizyujin to Brachion's shell piece so he doesn't tip over, but the arm and chest pieces do not like to stay attached. They fall off if you sneeze too loud. Plus, the gloves are extremely heavy, so it's hard to keep his arms up with them on.

Nevertheless, I love having the entire trio together with completely matching looks as I really feel like they are the dino gods from Zyuranger.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^ Next they should do the Dairanger zords.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

LegendZilla wrote:^ Next they should do the Dairanger zords.
Other than giving Won Tiger leg movement, I don't see what else they can improve upon from the Legacy stuff. However, I can only imagine how much Dairen-O would cost given it is twice as complicated as Daizyujin. Not to mention Daimugen would probably be $400.

Nevertheless, it is Dairanger, so unless they do use the Legacy mold, I'm down.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:^ Next they should do the Dairanger zords.
Other than giving Won Tiger leg movement, I don't see what else they can improve upon from the Legacy stuff. However, I can only imagine how much Dairen-O would cost given it is twice as complicated as Daizyujin. Not to mention Daimugen would probably be $400.

Nevertheless, it is Dairanger, so unless they do use the Legacy mold, I'm down.
I'd take Tor only. They already did legacy versions and the artisian versions of the Thunder/Dai zords.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

After poor merchandise sales from Gekiranger, Toei decided to approach their next series fully revolving around toys by having the rangers play around with toy cars, I mean living cars that turn small. How did this series fair? Is it a runaway hit or did it stall out? Watch to find out.