The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

For the discussion of movies and TV shows not distributed by Toho.
Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Re: The Latest Movie/TV show You Watched Topic 2.0

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

Hey guys I last watched Star Trek III: The Search For Spock.

Why does everybody hate this movie? This is amongst my favorite Star Trek movies. Something about the visual aesthetic makes it feel like classic Star Trek. Maybe because the genesis planet was done on sets.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

Why does everybody hate this movie? This is amongst my favorite Star Trek movies. Something about the visual aesthetic makes it feel like classic Star Trek. Maybe because the genesis planet was done on sets.
Honestly...I think its because most people subscribe to that "theory" that
odd numbered Star Trek films are terrible, even numbered Trek films are
awesome.

I've always liked The Search For Spock...Christopher Lloyd as the lead
Klingon Kruge being the biggest highlight for me.

Its a shame Kirstie Alley didn't return as Saavik...but for me...that's
the only real flaw of the film.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

KManX89
Gotengo Officer

Post by KManX89 »

I just watched Final Destination 2 & 3 back-to-back on Netflix.

These movies are dumb and mindless with cookie cutter characters like most horror films, but that doesn't mean I can't enjoy them for what they are (and they do have a unique concept). They're all pretty much the same, though. You've seen one, you've seen them all.
My Game Ideas Page | My Blu-Ray Collection

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Grievous wrote:
Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

Honestly...I think its because most people subscribe to that "theory" that
odd numbered Star Trek films are terrible, even numbered Trek films are
awesome.

I've always liked The Search For Spock...Christopher Lloyd as the lead
Klingon Kruge being the biggest highlight for me.

Its a shame Kirstie Alley didn't return as Saavik...but for me...that's
the only real flaw of the film.
I am a big fan of Search for Spock. That may come partly from my fondness for somewhat soapy narratives, I admit - its emotional highs are also mostly very much high melodrama.

I a okay with the change in Saaviks. Robin Curtis honestly works better for me as a Vulcan than Kirstie Alley did.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

The Return of Godzilla

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

gojira96 wrote:The Return of Godzilla
What did you think?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I think Star Trek 2, 3, and 4 are about the best thing to come out of the franchise. Recently got the "trilogy" on Bluray. I don't even care about Star Trek all that much.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
gojira96 wrote:The Return of Godzilla
What did you think?
I like it. 8/10

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Jackie Chan's First Strike

Hey guys I last watched the movie Jackie Chan's First Strike. To me the 90's brought us an interesting sweet spot for Jackie Chan movies where he started to go international and mainstream but not too glossy Hollywood yet. So you have the fun and the comedy and also lots of focus on his stunts as well whilst the atmosphere of a Martial Arts film is still present in the filmmaking style. The stunt where he manages to slip through the steps of a ladder is pretty crazy.

I might have been slow but back when this came out I didn't realize this movie was actually a 4th Police Story movie.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Well...for a change...I just watched the first 5 episodes of the first season of...

One-Punch Man

Yeah...its still incredibly funny with fantastic fight scenes
& a set of extremely diverse & interesting characters.

:thumbsup:

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Robocop (1987)

Hey guys I last watched the classic sci-fi Robocop. One of the things that I always liked about this movie is the dynamic of a private company taking ownership of part of the public sector like the Police Force. Just an interesting warning sign and subtext.

We all love our cheesy and over the top action films, but this film is great in the way that it uses that as a style to get across its themes. Paul Verhoeven is well known for it. I also love getting to watch the last stop motion effects used in a live action blockbuster movie with the ED209. Cool stuff.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Last night, I finally got around to watching The Punk Singer (2013), a really rad documentary about Kathleen Hanna, lead singer of Bikini Kill, Le Tigre and The Julie Ruin, and founding member of the riot grrrl movement. It's a very personal, intimate movie, less concerned with the linear and pragmatic details of "we wrote thing song, then we did this show, then we put out this album, and it sold this many copies," and more with presenting an impression of the emotions and experiences fueling the work and the public persona.

Basically, if you give a fuck about feminism and punk rock, I highly recommend it.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:Last night, I finally got around to watching The Punk Singer (2013), a really rad documentary about Kathleen Hanna, lead singer of Bikini Kill, Le Tigre and The Julie Ruin, and founding member of the riot grrrl movement. It's a very personal, intimate movie, less concerned with the linear and pragmatic details of "we wrote thing song, then we did this show, then we put out this album, and it sold this many copies," and more with presenting an impression of the emotions and experiences fueling the work and the public persona.

Basically, if you give a skreeonk about feminism and punk rock, I highly recommend it.
What about if I just want to watch a good film?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Grievous wrote:
eabaker wrote:Last night, I finally got around to watching The Punk Singer (2013), a really rad documentary about Kathleen Hanna, lead singer of Bikini Kill, Le Tigre and The Julie Ruin, and founding member of the riot grrrl movement. It's a very personal, intimate movie, less concerned with the linear and pragmatic details of "we wrote thing song, then we did this show, then we put out this album, and it sold this many copies," and more with presenting an impression of the emotions and experiences fueling the work and the public persona.

Basically, if you give a skreeonk about feminism and punk rock, I highly recommend it.
What about if I just want to watch a good film?
"A good film" is far too subjective and ambiguous a classification to inspire any specific recommendation.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:"A good film" is far too subjective and ambiguous a classification to inspire any specific recommendation.
Okay...

*Adds The Punk Singer (2013) to his Personal Film Blacklist*

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Grievous wrote:
eabaker wrote:"A good film" is far too subjective and ambiguous a classification to inspire any specific recommendation.
Okay...

So, if I were to say, "If you're interested in German expressionist, check out The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)," would it somehow invalidate the recommendation that I bothered to specify something about the audience it might most appeal to?

If somebody says "I want to watch a good film," there are thousands upon thousands of movies one might recommend.
Last edited by eabaker on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:So, if I were to say, "If you're interested in German expressionist, check out The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920)," would it somehow invalidate the recommendation that I bothered to specify something about the audience it might most appeal to?

If somebody says "I want to watch a good film," there are thousands upon thousands of movies one might recommend.
*Adds The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari (1920) to his Personal Film Blacklist*
Last edited by Grievous on Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Grievous wrote:
Okay...

*Adds The Punk Singer (2013) to list of films I wanna watch*
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Dr. Professor wrote:*Adds The Punk Singer (2013) to list of films I wanna watch*
Ah, but you didn't combine the awesome powers of italics with the incredible majesty of bold, now did you?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

eabaker wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:*Adds The Punk Singer (2013) to list of films I wanna watch*
Ah, but you didn't combine the awesome powers of italics with the incredible majesty of bold, now did you?
I guess not.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa: