Discussion: Main Site Updates

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
MinorBone Good
G-Force Personnel

Re: Discussion: Main Site Updates

Post by MinorBone Good »

Will there be an app for Toho Kingdom?
Current Quatheral Population: 600!
Current Quatheral's Perfected: 283!
The Quatheral Wiki!: https://quatheral.fandom.com/wiki/Quatheral_Wiki
The Quatheral Voices!:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSRtkOo-Lhs

PM me if you wanna join my Discord to see the updates about Quatheral!

mechagodzilla27
Yojimbo

Post by mechagodzilla27 »

MinorBone Good wrote:Will there be an app for Toho Kingdom?
no
time to protect people

:mechagodzilla:

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Are we sure this is concept art from 1965... ?
https://www.tohokingdom.com/concept_art ... _ears.html

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

tbeasley wrote:Are we sure this is concept art from 1965... ?
"Concept Art" was a poor choice of words to use on my part... It's more like an illustrated demonstration of how the ears could've worked. But I'll switch it to "Illustration" instead. (Also, missed how the artist was credited! Will note them as well.)
Last edited by GigaBowserG on Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The gigantic blog banner on the main page is an absolute eyesore and I think I've missed about three consecutive site updates because of it.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

GigaBowserG wrote:
"Concept Art" was a poor choice of words to use on my part... It's more like an illustrated demonstration of how the ears could've worked. But I'll switch it to "Illustration" instead. (Also, missed how the artist was credited! Will note them as well.)
Late reply on my part but if it's not official production art why even include it?

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

tbeasley wrote:
GigaBowserG wrote:
Late reply on my part but if it's not official production art why even include it?
It made for a nice visual for the unused ear function, with the bonus of being drawn by someone with Toho history - the art itself originating from a Godzilla "encyclopedia" published under Toho's supervision. While not official, it's not throwaway fanart! It's kind of like how we use unofficial production art for certain monsters in the Cutting Room.

Plus, ear-folding Baragon was just too precious not to share :)
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

GodzillavsZilla
Administrator
Administrator

Post by GodzillavsZilla »

I don't know if this is where to put this or if this error is just me, but the Blog section at the top of the main site doesn't have any pictures when I'm pretty sure it's supposed to. It's been like this for, I think, a week now.

I'm also curious, does anybody even like it? It just looks... ugly and makes me miss how the main site used to look.
BrashAlaskan95 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:I hope you plan on mounting this thing. :lol:
On my wall. ;)
I'll call it "Bob: The One Who Was skreeonk From The Start". :lol:
skreeonk scary shit though if it is just scratches.
Zilla103192 wrote:She saw Godzilla fly... And just gave up. She called bullshit, broke up with me, and just left.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Not like that for me (I can still see pictures) but I absolutely agree that it looks terrible on the main page. I get that it's to try and promote the section but it's an eyesore regardless.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Actually, I think when I last tried opening the main site in Microsoft Edge, the pictures were giant! Worked fine in Chrome and Firefox, though.
/crawls back under rock

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Okay so...I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong but I can't seem to find any of the older articles using this new Blog page. The only way I can actually find any of the older stuff is to go through the numbered pages on the bottom.

This...this is awful. This is such a downgrade from the previous way the Articles were formatted. I get that it looks more like a Blog now than before, but it also looks so much more bland. I miss the old header image with the Photoshopped newspapers and the sidebar where you could easily access all of the Article Projects. The Articles + Blog section is just lifeless now.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Right the main site does not list the Swamp Locust and Magma Turtle in the comic monsters bios, and the reviews even say they don't show up. That's not entirely true.

The Magma Turtle show up in issue 2 of Skull Island: The Birth of Kong, next to the ship.

and the Swamp Locust shows up in issue 3 of Skull Island: The Birth of Kong.

Also I have a couple questions.

1. I've noticed that the bios for the monsters and weapons are being updated such as Battra and the Type 66 Masers. Will this include the Showa Ultraman and Heisei Gamera?

2. Would Showa Ultraman and Heisei Gamera monsters get a Monster Analysis or is that exclusively for monster made by Toho?

EDIT:

So Heisei Godzilla (Supercharged) has a length of 200 meters according to this screen shot from Godzilla vs Mothra 1992.

Also according to the PS3/PS4 Godzilla game Godzilla 2014's tail length is 167.74 meters. Combine this with his 108 meter height and his length should be 275.74 meters or 275.94 meters if we wanna use Legendary's ultra specific height of 108.2 meters.

Last edited by BlankAccount on Sun Feb 24, 2019 2:34 am, edited 3 times in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

On this page:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/tv/zone_fighter.htm

The last monster bio, Grotogauros, links to this page:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/aliens_sdf/ ... alien.html

...Instead of this page:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/kaiju/tv/grotogauros.htm

Also, is it intentional that the 'television' and 'anime' sections of the monster listings don't even appear on this page, except as header-links? Not even a link to the sub-page at the bottom, after 'distributed?'
https://www.tohokingdom.com/monster_bios.htm

I feel like most people won't even notice they exist (I certainly didn't, until i went looking for grotgauros' page), and that's a lot of work to go completely unnoticed by the average visitor.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Going through the IDW comic profiles I've noticed in almost every instance Dave Wachter is referred to as Watcher.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Regarding the May 6 update to Varan:
Toho's planned release of the film to home video in 1987 was met with controversy due to a small sequence that showed some of the villagers as deformed... By 1988 Toho had barely negotiated a compromise to avoid the film being banned. This compromise saw Toho edit out the footage, which has been missing in all subsequent releases of the movie.
The bolded statement may have been true when Guy Tucker wrote Age of the Gods but the deleted footage has been restored since either the 1991 Toho Video VHS release or its 1998 Laserdisc release. Everything that was cut for the initial home video release is detailed (in Japanese) here.

There's also evidence that the Japanese theatrical release was projected at approx. 2:1 instead of TohoScope's 2.35:1. TohoPanScope seems to have been a sort of Superscope process. Discussion about aspect ratio here.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Terasawa wrote:Regarding the May 6 update to Varan:
Toho's planned release of the film to home video in 1987 was met with controversy due to a small sequence that showed some of the villagers as deformed... By 1988 Toho had barely negotiated a compromise to avoid the film being banned. This compromise saw Toho edit out the footage, which has been missing in all subsequent releases of the movie.
The bolded statement may have been true when Guy Tucker wrote Age of the Gods but the deleted footage has been restored since either the 1991 Toho Video VHS release or its 1998 Laserdisc release. Everything that was cut for the initial home video release is detailed (in Japanese) here.

There's also evidence that the Japanese theatrical release was projected at approx. 2:1 instead of TohoScope's 2.35:1. TohoPanScope seems to have been a sort of Superscope process. Discussion about aspect ratio here.
Was the Toyko Shock DVD edited at all?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

MikeSTZillak wrote:
Terasawa wrote:Regarding the May 6 update to Varan:

Was the Toyko Shock DVD edited at all?
Every Japanese release since either 1991 or 1998 has been the uncut version. The Tokyo Shock release ported over the main feature and most of the extras from the uncut Toho DVD.

That said, however, the Tokyo Shock DVD is aggravatingly clipped short at the end of the film. You only lose about a second or so of the end title, but still, that's technically "edited," even if accidentally.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

The new KOTM Blu-ray/DVD review has a little error:
the part of the film in the arctic
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I will like to point out a typo on the main page.

*edit*

Thanks for the fix.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

I think I've mentioned this several times before, but the movie lists could use a few major additions that no one here seems to have even noticed:

*A few Godzilla films in the five lists they appear in - Movies, Godzilla Movies, Kaiju Movies, Science Fiction Movies and Live Action Movies - are missing their U.S. titles:
Godzilla Raids Again (Gigantis the Fire Monster),
Mothra vs Godzilla (Godzilla vs. the Thing, Godzilla vs. Mothra),
Ghidorah the Three-Headed Monster (Ghidrah the Three-Headed Monster),
Invasion of Astro-Monster (Monster Zero, Godzilla vs. Monster Zero (only the first title needs to be added here)),
Godzilla vs. Gigan (Godzilla on Monster Island),
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla (Godzilla vs. the Bionic Monster, Godzilla vs. the Cosmic Monster),
Terror of Mechagodzilla (The Terror of Godzilla).

*The titles Madame White Snake and The Secret of the Telegian need to be put in as such in these three lists: Movies, Science Fiction Movies and Live Action Movies.

*The title The H-Man needs to put in as such in these four lists: Movies, Science Fiction Movies, Live Action Movies and Horror Movies.

*The U.S. title Godzilla and Mothra: The Battle for Earth needs to be put in as such in these three lists: Godzilla Movies, Kaiju Movies and Science Fiction Movies (it's already in as such in Movies and Live Action Movies, so that's good)

*The U.S. title Gamera 2: Attack of Legion needs to be put in as such in these four lists: Movies, Kaiju Movies, Science Fiction Movies and Live Action Movies.

*The U.S. title Tidal Wave needs to be put in Disaster Movies (it's already in as such in Movies and Live Action Movies, so again, that's good)

*All three films in the Godzilla anime trilogy need to be put in Movies, Godzilla Movies and Anime Movies.

*The section title "Kaiju Movies" (instead of "Kaiju Films") needs to be put in as such in these two lists: Movies and Genres.

*Pulse (Kairo) needs to be changed to just Pulse in these four lists: Movies, Science Fiction Movies, Live Action Movies and Horror Movies, as I believe this is the English-language title, at least in the U.S. (if I'm wrong about this one, however, please tell me)

*All the listings for the three Heisei Gamera films don't have the review for Mill Creek Entertaiment's The Gamera Trilogy Blu-ray release listed in their "DVDs and Blu-ray" sections and the word "Blu-ray" needs to be changed to "Blu-rays" once this is done. In addition, Arrow Films' Gamera: The Complete Collection Blu-ray box set release needs to be included in them, too (which I know will be done soon).

If this could please be done, we'll have everything done here! Please note that I'm only doing this for the sake of both completeness and consistency. If the entire movie section and everything in it looks professional, it'll be professional.
Last edited by mikelcho on Thu May 28, 2020 10:29 am, edited 31 times in total.