Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by MaxRebo320 »

goji89 wrote:I meant....bear with me now, it hurt emotionally from you thinking Gigan and Anguirus are midcard kaiju.

That is so wrong on so many levels.....because MAYBE it could be true.
In terms of recognition by the general public and more casual fans, most definitely. Your average Joe on the street isn't going to know who the likes of Anguirus, Hedorah, Gigan, etc. are, but a more casual fan (i.e Somebody who's seen a small handful of movies or played some video games) might, while still being unaware of the likes of Varan, Ebirah, etc., characters only T R U E F A N S tend to know.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

goji89 wrote:This post hurts just from reading it....midcard?
Applying "Wrestling Terminology" to Kaiju kind of works...

*Thinks*

Especially when watching the 70's era...although thankfully
Godzilla has more personality than Roman Reigns & isn't as
annoying as John Cena.

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Anguirus is popular? Maybe within the US fandom. But remember he was axed from GMK because Toho thought he was too obscure of a character. Baragon is the bigger draw and not even he was included in the title of GMK.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

kamilleblu wrote:Anguirus is popular? Maybe within the US fandom. But remember he was axed from GMK because Toho thought he was too obscure of a character. Baragon is the bigger draw and not even he was included in the title of GMK.
Toho thinks every character that's not King Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan, or Mechagodzilla is obscure
why did i have to be the chosen one?

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

KillCrites wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:Anguirus is popular? Maybe within the US fandom. But remember he was axed from GMK because Toho thought he was too obscure of a character. Baragon is the bigger draw and not even he was included in the title of GMK.
Toho thinks every character that's not King Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan, or Mechagodzilla is obscure
I mean, they're kind of right. To Godzilla fans it's obvious who he is, but most people don't know anyone outside of the Big 5. Hell a lot of people don't even know the big 5.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

Living Corpse wrote:
KillCrites wrote:
I mean, they're kind of right. To Godzilla fans it's obvious who he is, but most people don't know anyone outside of the Big 5. Hell a lot of people don't even know the big 5.
I should've said "Toho thinks every character that's not King Ghidorah, Mothra, Rodan, or Mechagodzilla is too obscure to use in anything"
why did i have to be the chosen one?

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ And even Rodan seems to be pushing it a little. His last serious appearance was in 1993, after all. Fortunately, times are a-changin' for him...
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

JAGzilla wrote:^ And even Rodan seems to be pushing it a little. His last serious appearance was in 1993, after all. Fortunately, times are a-changin' for him...
And yet Rodan still has made a spot for himself in collective pop culture and is recognizable to even people unfamiliar with kaiju unlike Anguirus, the Gargantuas, and pretty much every other Toho kaiju

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

The original Rodan had a good advertising campaign and a successful run in the U.S. and was visible on TV for quite awhile, and the charatcer was part of both the Aurora model kit series and the Shogun Warriors toy line. The character definitely had a much bigger impact on American pop culture than most other Toho kaiju. I'd say, in terms of recognizability to mainstream American audiences, Toho has a "big 3" Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote:The original Rodan had a good advertising campaign and a successful run in the U.S. and was visible on TV for quite awhile, and the charatcer was part of both the Aurora model kit series and the Shogun Warriors toy line. The character definitely had a much bigger impact on American pop culture than most other Toho kaiju. I'd say, in terms of recognizability to mainstream American audiences, Toho has a "big 3" Godzilla, Rodan and Mothra.
I may not have been around at that point, but I could definitely picture a time where the OG Rodan would be pretty big and successful in the states, just due to the U.S's love for jets and giant flying birds around that time
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
mikelcho wrote:The Big Six was completely my idea and my opinion, so I'll gladly take the credit for it.
Sompote owns the rights.
That's pretty funny. Do you mean Big Hero Six, though?

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

I would be more excited for a Godzilla film from Tim Burton than one from Guillermo del Toro.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

MikeSTZillak wrote:I would be more excited for a Godzilla film from Tim Burton than one from Guillermo del Toro.
Oh, me too! Tim Burton could also pull together better human characters than Del Toro, along with just as good stuff on the visual side.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
MikeSTZillak wrote:I would be more excited for a Godzilla film from Tim Burton than one from Guillermo del Toro.
Oh, me too! Tim Burton could also pull together better human characters than Del Toro, along with just as good stuff on the visual side.
Your fucking dead to me.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Agreed. Although, ultimately, I think the quality of a Burton kaiju flick would largely come down to the screenwriter.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

From what I've seen, I like Legendary's Mothra larva design way more than the previous one.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

*Thinks*

I think I'd like to see that...
just to see the artistic style
& overall film design.

:?

Del Toro already gave us a kaiju film...
and its a fantastic one at that.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Godzillian wrote:
JAGzilla wrote:^ And even Rodan seems to be pushing it a little. His last serious appearance was in 1993, after all. Fortunately, times are a-changin' for him...
And yet Rodan still has made a spot for himself in collective pop culture and is recognizable to even people unfamiliar with kaiju unlike Anguirus, the Gargantuas, and pretty much every other Toho kaiju
Rodan's just been misused by Toho since the 70's, he's reduced to cameos or being a walking matt, it's a big disservice to the character. Hell there are games where Rodan is not in at all.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Good thing Dougherty is a Rodan fan then.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Confession: I think Angurius is very overrated in the fandom. He's got his place in the vast mythology, sure, but he's pretty much useless in the big picture from my perspective.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.