The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Alien 3 was amazing in my opinion, and I've only seen the theatrical/"normal" cut. It's a film me and eabaker share a love of. So far I give it a 8/10.

Predators is a film I'm not a fan of I'm sorry to say. Missed potential and all the Predators are boring compared to City Hunter and Jungle Hunter. That fight with the yakuza and Falconer was a unnecessary rehash of the Billy "sacrifice" in the original. Tracker was severely underused. All the Predators were underused. Should've ended with the Youngblood surviving and teaming up with Royce and Isabelle, that's what I would've preferred given the circumstances. Maybe I just cant flow with Robert Rodriguez films. It's most definitely better than the newest film. This one went too little, and The Predator went too far.
I also can't stand the fight choreography in this one, the final battles feel off. The human characters are alright, I mean they get the job done. It's a 5/10 in my book.

Oh, and anyone else notice we haven't had a Predator film that's brought up the honor code since the first AVP?
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Predators I personally think is a decent timewaster. Though I will admit it had more potential going for it. One thing I feel they missed was making all these characters different alien species. Some humans and some aliens.

Gladly will take it over Alien 3, Resurrection, Prometheus, Alien: Covenant and The Predator (2018).
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Grievous wrote:Also...is your username a reference to the Marilyn Manson song?

;)
Oh yes it is my friend, Holywood is a personal favorite album from him. I'll take it as your also a fan? If so it's always nice to meet a fellow Manson fan!

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

I enjoyed Predators. Its not my favorite of the franchise but I can watch it anytime. Unlike Alien Resurrection
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

How I'd rank the Alien and Predator movies.

Alien:
1. Aliens (1986)
2. Alien (1979)
3. Alien: Resurrection (1997)
4. Alien 3 (1992); Special Edition only

Predator:
1. Predator (1987)
2. Predator 2 (1990)
3. Predators (2010)

I refuse to acknowledge the 2018 film exists. That was NOT the Predator. That was a spoof and parody that had the name labeled on it! I hope to skreeonking god that Shane Black never touches the franchise again.

Same with the Alien prequels.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:How I'd rank the Alien and Predator movies.

Alien:
1. Aliens (1986)
2. Alien (1979)
3. Alien: Resurrection (1997)
4. Alien 3 (1992); Special Edition only

Predator:
1. Predator (1987)
2. Predator 2 (1990)
3. Predators (2010)

I refuse to acknowledge the 2018 film exists. That was NOT the Predator. That was a spoof and parody that had the name labeled on it! I hope to skreeonking god that Shane Black never touches the franchise again.

Same with the Alien prequels.
I liked Prometheus but they took 5 steps back with Covenant. They should've continued the Engineer/Paradise storyline. Instead they gave into the people who wanted Alien immediately.

The Predator could've been good if they kept only the Fugitive Pred the whole film and didn't completely butcher the lore by going back on why Predators came to the planet and why they took trophy skulls, which aren't even trophies anymore.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:I liked Prometheus but they took 5 steps back with Covenant. They should've continued the Engineer/Paradise storyline. Instead they gave into the people who wanted Alien immediately.
Or...Nothing at all because some things should just stay as mystery which Alien was one of those. Prequels were totally unnecessary.

I'll give Alien 3 and Resurrection credit. At least those were continuations.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Feb 15, 2019 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

XxComablack1937xX wrote:Oh yes it is my friend, Holywood is a personal favorite album from him. I'll take it as your also a fan? If so it's always nice to meet a fellow Manson fan!
Nice.

I'm a Mechanical Animals & Golden Age of Grotesque guy myself.

:thumbsup:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I liked Prometheus but they took 5 steps back with Covenant. They should've continued the Engineer/Paradise storyline. Instead they gave into the people who wanted Alien immediately.
Or...Nothing at all because some things should just stay as mystery which Alien was one of those. Prequels were totally unnecessary.

In fairness the idea was giving it back to Scott, and Scott's mentality was the Space Jockey was never explained at all. Where did he come from, etc. The commentary on Prometheus provided a lot of insight into why Prometheus was made.

And just because you don't dig it doesn't mean "nothing at all" should have been made. Plenty of people enjoy Prometheus and Covenant.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Maritonic wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:

In fairness the idea was giving it back to Scott, and Scott's mentality was the Space Jockey was never explained at all. Where did he come from, etc. The commentary on Prometheus provided a lot of insight into why Prometheus was made.

And just because you don't dig it doesn't mean "nothing at all" should have been made. Plenty of people enjoy Prometheus and Covenant.
Scott's interest in an explanation for the Space Jockey always threw me. To me, part of what's so great about Alien is how much is unexplained. I never wanted the space Jockey to be demystified. (Thank god we never got a prequel to Planet of the Vampires, amiright?)

Fortunately, since the explanation didn't come from Dan O'Bannon, I'm quite comfortable ignoring it. :-)

EDIT: The main point being that, hey, if it's not what you want, it's easily ignored. No reason it shouldn't have been made.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

eabaker wrote:
Fortunately, since the explanation didn't come from Dan O'Bannon, I'm quite comfortable ignoring it. :-)
People seem to always forget O'Bannon's contributions to Alien!!
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:People seem to always forget O'Bannon's contributions to Alien!!
The stories he told on the Alien commentary track
where awesome.

"CUT! O'BANNON'S IN THE SHOT AGAIN!"
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Honestly some of O'Bannon's ideas and backstory for Alien were just as goofy and ungainly as what would later wound up in Prometheus and Covenant. He deserves credit for coming up with the basic story and premise, but he's not the sole owner and creator of the piece, you know what I mean?

Alien, like Godzilla before it, succeeds because of the communal effort of filmmaking, everyone contributed something - O'Bannon and Shusett's original story and screenplay, Giler and Hill rewriting and streamlining (and improving) that script, Scott's impeccable direction, the solid cast (with Weaver becoming the central focus and producer in later sequels with their own [sometimes controversial/unpopular] creative decisions), Goldsmith's excellent score and of course Giger's monolithic creature design, Cobb's mechanical work, etc., etc...

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tbeasley wrote:Honestly some of O'Bannon's ideas and backstory for Alien were just as goofy and ungainly as what would later wound up in Prometheus and Covenant. He deserves credit for coming up with the basic story and premise, but he's not the sole owner and creator of the piece, you know what I mean?

Alien, like Godzilla before it, succeeds because of the communal effort of filmmaking, everyone contributed something - O'Bannon and Shusett's original story and screenplay, Giler and Hill rewriting and streamlining (and improving) that script, Scott's impeccable direction, the solid cast (with Weaver becoming the central focus and producer in later sequels with their own [sometimes controversial/unpopular] creative decisions), Goldsmith's excellent score and of course Giger's monolithic creature design, Cobb's mechanical work, etc., etc...
I don't think anybody was suggesting that sole authorship of Alien belongs to Dan O'Bannon.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I got the implication from this, concerning the Alien's origins at least
Fortunately, since the explanation didn't come from Dan O'Bannon, I'm quite comfortable ignoring it.

If it were up to him the Alien would be a "civilized, learned and long-lived race one they got over their adolescent blood lust."

He also had weird ideas for AVP with the Predator as the final stage in the Alien lifecycle and stuff like that.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

tbeasley wrote:I got the implication from this, concerning the Alien's origins at least
Fortunately, since the explanation didn't come from Dan O'Bannon, I'm quite comfortable ignoring it.

If it were up to him the Alien would be a "civilized, learned and long-lived race one they got over their adolescent blood lust."

He also had weird ideas for AVP with the Predator as the final stage in the Alien lifecycle and stuff like that.
I come from the school of thought that once a work is completed, nothing that is not a part of that finished product applies to it. It doesn't matter what anybody had in mind behind the scenes. Alien consists just exactly of what is contained in its 116 minute runtime.

All I was playfully saying was that if anybody's extra-textual concepts or expansions have any weight at all, it's O'Bannon's, regardless of whether they were particularly good ideas or not.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Well. Anyway.

Something more fun - who's your favorite?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tbeasley wrote:Well. Anyway.

A
C
D
G
H

I prefer the smooth dome look because it looks much more extraterrestrial, never really liked the rigid Warrior look. They're supposed to look slick and wicked, not generic.

I picked G and H because they're so drastically different than anything that came before them (or after them, in-lore)
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

tbeasley wrote:Well. Anyway.

A only.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

A, C, and F (I like the Resurrection warrior design-sue me.)