Kaiju pet peeves

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Kaiju pet peeves

Post by LockBite »

This thread is here for you to sound off about kaiju things that annoy you. Maybe you hate Mothra’s fast motion, or Toho Kong’s lazy eye.
Feel free to point out general tropes, but I encourage you to think of specific examples.

I’ll start. Godzilla’s wiggly snout in Mothra vs. Godzilla. Or more specifically, that bothered me when I was a kid. Now it’s just kind of a curiousity.

Flying kaiju moving too slowly to fly (Heisei kaiju in general I suppose. Rodan and The Super-X 1 and 2 stand out the most.)

Godzilla having whispy atomic breath in GttHM.
Last edited by LockBite on Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Re: Kaiju pet peeves

Post by MikeSTZillak »

comment deleted
Last edited by MikeSTZillak on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I love Mosugoji's broken snout. Gives that suit a lot of unique personality.

I'm with you on the overly-slow flying kaiju, though. And I'll add those shots in G2K where we see his feet stomping cars or whatever, but the suit actor's human weight is all too obvious from the lack of real impact and limited damage done to the cars.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Here’s another one. I’m actually really annoyed that Legendary Mothra’s back legs stem from her abdomen instead of her thorax. Like, no, that’s not how bugs work. And I know Mothra isn’t really a bug in the traditional sense, but still. It doesn’t look right at all.
Last edited by LockBite on Sat Feb 16, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

My peeve deals with how some of the stock footage is poorly mixed in. Sometimes the stock footage is darker than the film it inserted into, for example.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

LockBite wrote:Here’s another one. I’m actually really annoyed that Legendary Mothra’s back legs stem from her abdomen instead of her thorax. Like, no, that’s not how bugs work. And I know Mothra isn’t really a bug in the traditional sense, but still. It doesn’t look right at all.
Understandable, and I agree that the legs are weird looking. But it should be said that 'unconventional number/arrangement of limbs' is a common element in Legendary kaiju design, so this Mothra is just par for the course in that regard.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

The Astro-Monster suit popping up in anything post Sea Monster. Especially in Vs. Hedorah.
Pretty much any use of the aerosol breath other than in Gojira.
Ghidorah's flying scenes and roars in GvsKG.
Godzilla not attacking any city in 2014.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

More of a kaiju fan pet peeve but it bugs me when fans can't get the names of the movies right. There have never been movies called "Godzilla vs. King Kong" or "Godzilla Returns." There's no excuse for that.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

This infamous shot...
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Oh my god, this. What a terrible shot to leave off on.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
oof I love ToMG and I always get blindsided by that awful shot
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

That is an extremely unsettling shot. I would not want him saving my city.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

MaxRebo320 wrote:This infamous shot...

Added in 3 minutes 14 seconds:
Terasawa wrote: "Godzilla vs. King Kong" There's no excuse for that.
Because...they got it backwards?

King Kong vs Godzilla?

Oh come on.....

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

goji89 wrote:

King Kong vs Godzilla?

Oh come on.....
What’s wrong with expecting people to get the names right? If you don’t know the name of the movie look it up somewhere. In every day use I can get mixing up the order or something but not when you’re on a Godzilla website that has a bunch of officia titles for the film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Terasawa wrote:
goji89 wrote:

King Kong vs Godzilla?

Oh come on.....
What’s wrong with expecting people to get the names right? If you don’t know the name of the movie look it up somewhere. In every day use I can get mixing up the order or something but not when you’re on a Godzilla website that has a bunch of officia titles for the film.
But they just say it in a different order.....thats it? I mean its nothing to get a little upset about though. I would understand something that changes the entire title completely but this....but although it is a pet peeve of yours.....also this is the "Kaiju" pet peeve thread not a fandom one...

But hey, like I said its just a pet peeve of yours just dont expect fans to be to your high standards....this is just a forum nothing more nothing less.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Terasawa wrote:
goji89 wrote:

King Kong vs Godzilla?

Oh come on.....
That's kinda like getting annoyed by someone calling Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monster's All Out Attack "GMK".

GMK isn't technically the name of the movie, but everyone still knows what movie you're talking about. Same goes for "Godzilla vs King Kong." It's no big deal.
Last edited by Spuro on Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

goji89 wrote:But they just say it in a different order.....thats it? I mean its nothing to get a little upset about though. I would understand something that changes the entire title completely but this....but although it is a pet peeve of yours.....also this is the "Kaiju" pet peeve thread not a fandom one...

But hey, like I said its just a pet peeve of yours just dont expect fans to be to your high standards....this is just a forum nothing more nothing less.
It doesn't upset me. As I said it just bugs me, even if they're only misordering the words. Also I don't think it's "high standards" to know the name of a movie (in the correct order) if you're participating in a fan forum about those very movies. But like you said, just my pet peeve.
Kaiju-King42 wrote: That's kinda like getting annoyed by someone calling Godzilla, Mothra, and King Ghidorah: Giant Monster's All Out Attack "GMK".

GMK isn't technically the name of the movie, but everyone still knows what movie you're talking about. Same goes for "Godzilla vs King Kong." It's no big deal.
I don't really think it is the same. "GMK" exists because it's an acronym of an ungodly long title that most people wouldn't want to type out. Also, Toho has used "GMK" (in English) on their releases of the film. "Godzilla vs. King Kong" is different because someone either intentionally, absent-mindedly, or ignorantly put the characters' names in the wrong order.

And you're right, it's no big deal. I'm not trying to make it one. It's literally a pet peeve, which is... not a big deal. lol
Last edited by Terasawa on Sun Feb 17, 2019 3:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

How a lot of films end with monsters falling into the ocean.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:How a lot of films end with monsters falling into the ocean.
Yeah. Kiryu, KG, Battra KKVG I mean.....practically every G movie.... :lol: .

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The ocean is the only place big enough for them to disappear into, though, so it's understandable why it happens so often...

Toho being so cheap and lazy as to reuse Rodan's roar for Battra. Like, it was one thing to give Ghidorah that screech Rodan hardly used, but to just use a muffled version of the main, iconic roar is straight pathetic. If Battra ever shows up again, he'll need a good roar of his own.