The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

There's 13 so pick 6

Alien (1979)
19%
Aliens (1986)
14%
Predator (1987)
16%
Predator 2 (1990)
10%
Alien³ (1992)
4%
Alien Resurrection (1997)
4%
Alien vs. Predator (2004)
8%
Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem (2007)
2%
Predators (2010)
4%
Prometheus (2012)
4%
Alien Covenant (2017)
3%
The Predator (2018)
No votes
Prey (2022)
14%

Total votes: 114

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: The Alien and Predator Discussion Thread (1979-2018)

Post by Grievous »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:This man speaks the truth.
Well...there is no point to speaking lies my friend.
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Though I don't agree about Alien 3 and Halloween 2018 (Sure better then any of the other modern ones but still IMO unnecessary).
Well...I found the Dog/Ox "Runner" Alien pretty awesome...
mainly because of its streamlined design & speed. Its like the
first Alien was a lone slasher killer, Aliens gave us a Hive
structure with swarms of the bastards & Alien 3 gave as a
rabid animal running through air ducts & hallways, striking
like a big cat.

It had its own style & charm & I liked it.

As far as Halloween 2018 goes...I never intended to watch
it...but I did on a movie night with friends...and I honestly
think it was an enjoyable film...especially considering the
other trash in that particular franchise.

Of course I would much rather see the film industry create
new & interesting characters & creatures instead of simply
dragging out old stuff to prop up & milk for nostalgia dollars.

Although...

*Thinks*

Can we have a Dino-Riders film?

Please?

:D
Last edited by Grievous on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Grievous wrote:Well...I found the Dog/Ox "Runner" Alien pretty awesome...
mainly because of its streamlined design & speed. Its like the
first Alien was a lone slasher killer, Aliens gave us a Hive
structure with swarms of the bastards & Alien 3 gave as a
rabid animal running through air ducts & hallways, striking
like a big cat.
But IMO at the same time makes Aliens all meaningless and kills off two beloved characters Hicks and Newt in the beginning and Ripley dying in the end. In my head the series ended with Aliens with them heading back to earth but that's just me. To each their own.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

"Stop making sequels!!" they shout on a Godzilla forum.

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

Grievous wrote: Can we have a Dino-Riders film?

Please?

:D

How about a hell yes! Funny enough I just watched Episode 1 of Dino-Riders this week. I heard they were looking for studio's to try and adapt it, that was 2 or 3 years ago. Could be a while before it reaches the big screen.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

2004Zilla wrote:"Stop making sequels!!" they shout on a Godzilla forum.
Well...I'm actually shouting "Stop making BAD sequels!!"

I'm all for sequels...as long as they aren't steaming piles of sh!t that
insult & ruin the films that came before them.

*Cough* The Predator! *Cough* The Last Jedi! *Cough* Terminator Genisys! *Cough*

And I'm going to stop there because I could keep coughing for the next week.

Grievous reference!

;)

I guess some people are happy to turn off their brains, shovel popcorn
into their mouths & except whatever bullsh!t the studios serve up to them.

I am not one of these people.
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: But IMO at the same time makes Aliens all meaningless and kills off two beloved characters Hicks and Newt in the beginning and Ripley dying in the end. In my head the series ended with Aliens with them heading back to earth but that's just me. To each their own.
Oh I agree with you.

I'm defending the "Runner" Alien itself...not the entire film.

David Fincher basically did what Rian Johnson did recently with Star Wars...
just on a much smaller scale.

In saying that...it was Fincher's first feature film & he wanted to make it
is own...so I'm willing to cut him some slack.

Alien 3 is basically an interstellar snuff film...& I kind of like it for that.
XxComablack1937xX wrote:How about a hell yes! Funny enough I just watched Episode 1 of Dino-Riders this week. I heard they were looking for studio's to try and adapt it, that was 2 or 3 years ago. Could be a while before it reaches the big screen.
Cross your fingers Coma...Cross your fingers.

Also...is your username a reference to the Marilyn Manson song?

;)

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Imagine being so self centered you think people enjoying movies you don't like are somehow less intelligent than you.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

2004Zilla wrote:Imagine being so self centered you think people enjoying movies you don't like are somehow less intelligent than you.
+1
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:But IMO at the same time makes Aliens all meaningless and kills off two beloved characters Hicks and Newt in the beginning and Ripley dying in the end. In my head the series ended with Aliens with them heading back to earth but that's just me. To each their own.
That's only a problem if you look at the three separate movies as though they are a single work broken up into three pieces. That was not at all Fox's approach to this series, though. Alien is a self-contained story with a satisfying ending that closes the book on its narrative; Aliens is a hypothetical continuation, not a definitive one. Likewise, Aliens is a whole story with a satisfying ending that closes the book on its variant two film version of the story, and Alien 3 is a hypothetical continuation, not a definitive one. Alien 3 then tells its own whole story, one of tragic loss and the redemptive sacrifice; to tell that story, it needed to go in a direction that does not allow its characters the (somewhat pat) happy ending that Aliens provided. But that doesn't invalidate anything that happened in Aliens, because Aliens was already a finished work, and it is not dependent upon Alien 3 to provide any of its resolution.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Feb 15, 2019 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: But IMO at the same time makes Aliens all meaningless and kills off two beloved characters Hicks and Newt in the beginning and Ripley dying in the end.
Yeah that's...the film doing it's job.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

UltramanGoji wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote: But IMO at the same time makes Aliens all meaningless and kills off two beloved characters Hicks and Newt in the beginning and Ripley dying in the end.
That was a much simpler way of phrasing a point I spent far too many words on. ;)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

eabaker wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
That was a much simpler way of phrasing a point I spent far too many words on. ;)
If it's any consolation, I read and enjoyed your post. :)

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

eabaker wrote:
GodzillaFan1990's wrote:But IMO at the same time makes Aliens all meaningless and kills off two beloved characters Hicks and Newt in the beginning and Ripley dying in the end. In my head the series ended with Aliens with them heading back to earth but that's just me. To each their own.
That's only a problem if you look at the three separate movies as though they are a single work broken up into three pieces. That was not at all Fox's approach to this series, though. Alien is a self-contained story with a satisfying ending that closes the book on its narrative; Aliens is a hypothetical continuation, not a definitive one. Likewise, Aliens is a whole story with a satisfying ending that closes the book on its variant two film version of the story, and Alien 3 is a hypothetical continuation, not a definitive one. Alien 3 then tells its own whole story, one of tragic loss and the redemptive sacrifice; to tell that story, it needed to go in a direction that does not allow its characters the (somewhat pat) happy ending that Aliens provided. But that doesn't invalidate anything that happened in Aliens, because Aliens was already a finished work, and it is not dependent upon Alien 3 to provide any of its resolution.
You're amazing at putting thoughts into words.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I love the Alien films but I agree in that killing Newt and Hicks was a terrible idea. Just all around if you watch all 3 films in a row, the third film just feels completely off and brings the series to a screeching halt since it starts with the death of 2 really good characters with no speaking lines, 3 if you count Bishop but at least his mangled corpse said about 1 or 2 sentences. You can say the film was doing it's job, but it did it's job half-assed with a smoke break every 10 minutes. Didn't feel right, didn't feel connected, just felt like a cash in.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Feb 15, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

2004Zilla wrote:Imagine being so self centered you think people enjoying movies you don't like are somehow less intelligent than you.
I don't believe I ever said that...but if I did...please feel free quote me & prove me wrong...
and there is no need to get defensive about the films you like or your intelligence...or the
relationship between the two.

I simply know what I like...the same way you know what you like.
Maritonic wrote:+1

Are we doing simple math now?

That sounds like fun.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Wow...
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:Wow...
+1

:thumbsup:

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Can we talk about how Predators is a good film that will become/ unless it already has, become a cult classic? I enjoyed it and find myself rewatching it whenever it's on TV. The premise is so far out there, the cast is great, the Predators are great, except how quickly they murked the useless Youngblood.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

_JNavs_ wrote:Can we talk about how Predators is a good film
No.

Its a blatant rehash of the original, Adrien Brody is a terrible lead, Topher Grace
is hamming it up way too much, the New "Super Predators" are lame & a pathetic
attempt to "out do" the original & the actors portraying them are stiff & awkward.

Personally I found Predators painfully unambitious & setting the film on an Alien
planet was made redundant by simply having another group of dangerous people
walking through another jungle.

Because in Predator films...it always has to take place in a jungle or forest...
apart from when it take place in a city & then its actually interesting.

But hey...if you enjoy it...than that's cool. I'm not here to ruin the film for you...
I'm just voicing my own opinions.

:thumbsup:
Last edited by Grievous on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

_JNavs_ wrote:Can we talk about how Predators is a good film that will become/ unless it already has, become a cult classic? I enjoyed it and find myself rewatching it whenever it's on TV. The premise is so far out there, the cast is great, the Predators are great, except how quickly they murked the useless Youngblood.
Predators is an incredible film. It was fantastic to see all the "ultimate warriors" from different "clans" going up against these new, elite, Predators. The new tech, applying a role to each hunter, was a fantastic choice and added a new sliver of mythology to the plate.

A big game preserve where the Predators hunt humans? Seriously one of the coolest concepts executed in a sci-fi film in years. This is the film we needed after AVP: R. I wish we could see some continuation of this story. Because it's seriously one of the coolest concepts in the franchise.
Last edited by Maritonic on Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Maritonic wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Can we talk about how Predators is a good film that will become/ unless it already has, become a cult classic? I enjoyed it and find myself rewatching it whenever it's on TV. The premise is so far out there, the cast is great, the Predators are great, except how quickly they murked the useless Youngblood.
Predators is an incredible film. It was fantastic to see all the "ultimate warriors" from different "clans" going up against these new, elite, Predators. The new tech, applying a role to each hunter, was a fantastic choice and added a new sliver of mythology to the plate.

A big game preserve where the Predators hunt humans? Seriously one of the coolest concepts executed in a sci-fi film in years. This is the film we needed after AVP: R. I wish we could see some continuation of this story. Because it's seriously one of the coolest concepts in the franchise.
Exactly this, I totally wanna see what happened to Adrian and the sniper, I know there was a comic but, the canons questionable. Lawrence Fishburne was great, Berserker, Falconer and Tracker all fit their roles to a T. The idea of a hunter needing hounds is such an obvious concept i'm surprised we hadn't seen it in the franchise before. We may have seen the jungle before, but only in the original film. It was a nice callback