Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Re: Talkback: Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah (1991)

Post by the-killer-wc »

Following the growth in strength of Godzilla over the series, Godzilla did a quick job on KG once this was out of control, regular rodan lasted around the same even taken a few blasts before getting defeated, and that was a stronger godzilla than in the previous one. Then we got Fire Rodan which is even stronger than before and has the uranium heat beam. So...

Mecha King Ghidorah>Fire Rodan≥King Ghidorah>Rodan

Maybe I should have put this in unpopular opinions instead.
Last edited by the-killer-wc on Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

I never like straight, X beat Y, therefore X can beat Z arguments.
Rodan's strengths are toughness and flight, means he can hang in a fight, but winning that fight is another matter. He can get the drop on another Kaiju, maybe even knock them over, but then what? How long would it take to peck another Kaiju in submission. Also if you go by Fire Rodans fight in GVMGII he is not very smart. Best option for a fight would be to come in from the back or sides to knock MG over, not try a head on attack.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Also, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II are two different movies, with different thematic and story needs for those fights to fulfill.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Fire Rodan would get bodied so fast by Ghidorah hahaha
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:Also, Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II are two different movies, with different thematic and story needs for those fights to fulfill.
But my power levels!

And the hits that Rodan took weren't as strong as the ones Ghidorah took. Godzilla used a spiral heat ray several times against Ghidorah.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

the-killer-wc
JXSDF Technician

Post by the-killer-wc »

Resized Image

Long live the king!

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Is Mecha-King Ghidorah a violation of the film's time travel rules? He falls into the Sea of Okhotsk, which is where the wounded Ghidorah slumbers until he is later converted into Mecha-King Ghidorah. The film tells us that if two of the same person exists in the same time and same place that one will vanish. So doesn't this mean either King Ghidorah vanishes and thus no Mecha-King Ghidorah depending how time travel works overall or Mecha-King Ghidorah vanishes and there is no MechaGodzilla?
Last edited by kamilleblu on Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kamilleblu wrote:Is Mecha-King Ghidorah a violation of the film's time travel rules? He falls into the Sea of Okhotsk, which is where the wounded Ghidorah slumbers until he is later converted into Mecha-King Ghidorah. The film tells us that if two of the same person exists in the same time and same place that one will vanish. So doesn't this mean either King Ghidorah vanishes and thus no Mecha-King Ghidorah depending how time travel works overall or Mecha-King Ghidorah vanishes and there is no MechaGodzilla?
Perhaps what was recovered in the future was actually the remains of Mecha-King Ghidorah, his poor body reassembled and mangled again and again, the rest of the world in an infinite time loop, but he alone continuing to progress and transform throughout?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

eabaker wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:Is Mecha-King Ghidorah a violation of the film's time travel rules? He falls into the Sea of Okhotsk, which is where the wounded Ghidorah slumbers until he is later converted into Mecha-King Ghidorah. The film tells us that if two of the same person exists in the same time and same place that one will vanish. So doesn't this mean either King Ghidorah vanishes and thus no Mecha-King Ghidorah depending how time travel works overall or Mecha-King Ghidorah vanishes and there is no MechaGodzilla?
Perhaps what was recovered in the future was actually the remains of Mecha-King Ghidorah, his poor body reassembled and mangled again and again, the rest of the world in an infinite time loop, but he alone continuing to progress and transform throughout?
But the creature Emmy finds in the future does not seem to have any enhancements and is referred to as "King Ghidorah." Also, the conversation she has in the future and how the rest of the post-Mecha-King Ghidorah timeline plays out suggests Mecha-King Ghidorah had not existed yet.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

kamilleblu wrote:
eabaker wrote:
But the creature Emmy finds in the future does not seem to have any enhancements and is referred to as "King Ghidorah." Also, the conversation she has in the future and how the rest of the post-Mecha-King Ghidorah timeline plays out suggests Mecha-King Ghidorah had not existed yet.
It wasn't intended as a serious answer, anyway ;-)

Since this form of time travel seems to involve constant re-writing of the timeline (the "stable time loop" theory really doesn't hold up to analysis), the version of those events that we see presumably happens "before" the timeline in which Emmy travels back with MKG comes into being.

Time travel in this movie doesn't make any damned sense.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

What exactly was Omori's intent here?

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:Time travel in this movie doesn't make any damned sense.
This entire film doesn't make any damned sense.

Stupid Dorats...

:lol:
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Yeah, but Mecha-King Ghidorah was one of the best-looking suits in the franchise. That cybernetic head is just great. I'd love to see a cyborg Ghidorah make another appearance someday.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

It always tickles me that Mecha King Ghidorah is often viewed as a Godzilla villain and some fans bashed GMK for making Ghidorah the good guy and "That should never happen"

BUUUUUUT, technically, Mecha King Ghidorah was the good monster of this film. Granted it was a corpse with cybernetic parts that was being piloted by an individual with intentions of protecting Japan, but still.

Ghidorah was the hero a full decade before GMK, even if it was against his own will (and lets be honest, how often does Ghidorah get to act under his own will anyway?)

I guess as long as Ghidorah and Godzilla are on opposing sides, there is some wiggle room to make them work? Team up Godzilla and Ghidorah? Boy, you'd have to craft something amazing to make me buy into that one, lol
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

GojiDog wrote:and lets be honest, how often does Ghidorah get to act under his own will anyway?
BIG FACTS THOUGH!
that poor bastard is only evil cuz he's enjoying his freedom to the utmost on the rare occasion he gets to enjoy it.

Sidebar: should Ghidorah have they/them pronouns since its technically three critters in one body in this film...?
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

I remember people mentioning that Emmy said Godzilla never recovered from the ANEB. Where in the movie does she say this? And does it concur in the dub or sub?

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

kamilleblu wrote:I remember people mentioning that Emmy said Godzilla never recovered from the ANEB. Where in the movie does she say this? And does it concur in the dub or sub?
I just watched this film recently and I don't remember her ever saying this.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Dr. Professor wrote:
kamilleblu wrote:I remember people mentioning that Emmy said Godzilla never recovered from the ANEB. Where in the movie does she say this? And does it concur in the dub or sub?
From Keith Aiken's article about the time travel in this movie:

"Emi also tells Terasawa that the story about Godzilla destroying Japan was a lie; in her time Godzilla had never recovered from the ANB and did not attack again. For all intents and purposes he was beaten."

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

kamilleblu wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:
From Keith Aiken's article about the time travel in this movie:

"Emi also tells Terasawa that the story about Godzilla destroying Japan was a lie; in her time Godzilla had never recovered from the ANB and did not attack again. For all intents and purposes he was beaten."
Huh. I guess I just forgot.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Not sure about the dub (haven't watched it in twenty years or more), but in every subbed version I've ever seen, she says this when she shows up at Teresawa's place to confess everything to him after her argument with the other Futurians.