Your fears for The World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Your fears for The World of Godzilla

Post by eabaker »

Shin Gabara wrote:Is it so 'zero-sum', though? I'm sure within the cosmically vast Library of Babel-esque script-space of 90-120 minute films there are more than a few good handful that juggle both well? Not saying it wouldn't be tricky
And I'm not saying it wouldn't be possible. This is a thread to talk about our fears, though, so of course we're going to focus on worst-case scenarios.

Yes, holding back from exploring the themes of either transformation or rebirth in a debut Mothra movie could, in theory, still lead to a satisfying narrative, if those themes were replaced by something equally strong that was brought to some satisfying conclusion over the course of the movie, though that would run the risk of not feeling remotely like a Mothra movie at all.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tarbosaurus
GPN Volunteer

Post by Tarbosaurus »

Inactive kaiju. If I could pinpoint one beef I have with Shin and Anime Godzilla it's that they pretty much do one of two things. Walk forward and use a ranged attack. It kinda made a lot of the battles blur together if all it consists of is "Military shoot at Godzilla, Godzilla tanks it and shoots back, military go boom". Even the most beam-spamy of the Heisei "Beam Wars" had some close combat and the kaiju were reactive to things around them. I really hope, especially if we have monster battles, we don't just get what amounts to two siege towers shooting each other.
Last edited by Tarbosaurus on Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"That's what I get for attacking a pirate-scientist." - POLE7645 on Ogata's life choices

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I just hope this doesn’t cancel out the Monsterverse. Say what you want about Legendary and Hollywood but they’re the ones that expose the franchise to the general public
Yooo 8-)

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

JGAR wrote:I just hope this doesn’t cancel out the Monsterverse. Say what you want about Legendary and Hollywood but they’re the ones that expose the franchise to the general public
That won't happen.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Solia
Samurai

Post by Solia »

Reused sound effects from showa era
"Japan's filmmakers are really starting to perform a dick-waving contest as to who can make the weirdest and most untraditional Godzilla. First Anno turns him into the beef-jerky version of Hedorah and now Gen Urobuchi turns the character into his own incesteous lovechild with Biollante. I bet that next, we will have Godzilla get tuned into some sort of rogue A.I." - LegendZilla

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

my fear is any and every fight will just be a gigantic beam spam match . i can't really get into the Heisei era fights cause of that sole reason.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Why are beam wars such a big deal for so many people?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LegendZilla wrote:^Why are beam wars such a big deal for so many people?
Because they get really stale after the first four minutes. Dynamic physical fights can well, go anywhere.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I'm affraid of it just becoming your average kaiju film where everything is just fights and boom and end. I need my kaiju with some depth.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I fear this will become Heisei 2.0 and after a few films it'll start to feel repetitive and overly formulaic, with unmemorable characters and boring monster fights.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Dr. Professor wrote:I fear this will become Heisei 2.0 and after a few films it'll start to feel repetitive and overly formulaic, with unmemorable characters and boring monster fights.
Yeah that’s what happens with forced yearly or biyearly releases no matter how great the indvidivual films are, especially if they wind up being “versus films” like the Heisei era.

What id be happy with, and others stated, is a more traditional Godzilla. Maybe bring back a classic monster or two but Inject it with new monsters and whacky plots.

Despite loving Shin and liking the Anime Trilogy I don’t want the new series to be anything like those. After some nice sortve expiremental films that focused primarily on Godzilla let’s return to some dumb monster fights.

I also think melee fights can get boring just as quickly as beam wars. The main issue is that there needs to be a clear back and forth struggle and different phases to any good fight.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^Would you be okay with beam battles as long as there’s different phases and a back/forth struggle?
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I'm for beam battles if they are brief and done in an intense moment like when characters lock swords for a moment. Short and to the point not long drawn out ones like in the vid games

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

That people will keep comparing Toho movies to the MonsterVerse and shunning anything they make even if it’s better thematically.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

NBG2 wrote:That people will keep comparing Toho movies to the MonsterVerse and shunning anything they make even if it’s better thematically.
It's going to happen and you know it. That's one of the unfortunate issues with having two companies putting out similar content, they'll be compared no matter what.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

UltramanGoji wrote:
NBG2 wrote:That people will keep comparing Toho movies to the MonsterVerse and shunning anything they make even if it’s better thematically.
It's going to happen and you know it. That's one of the unfortunate issues with having two companies putting out similar content, they'll be compared no matter what.
Which will force the other company to do better as a result of it, so really it's a win win for the fans and the studios
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira