How would you implement sillier kaiju?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LockBite
JXSDF Technician

How would you implement sillier kaiju?

Post by LockBite »

There’s plenty of kaiju out there that some would say are too fantastical in concept to be introduced to the MonsterVerse. Here are some along with their most obvious obstacles.
Gamera: how would he fly?
Mechagodzilla: why would an attack mech be made in the shape of Godzilla, spines and all?
Megalon: drills for hands? Spits bombs?
Jet Jaguar: everything about him
Gabara: everything about him

You don’t have to just choose among these examples, but pick a kaiju that isn’t as grounded as something like Ghidorah, and explain how you could make it work.

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Re: How would you implement sillier kaiju?

Post by KillCrites »

Gamera: he creates some kind of chemical reaction in his body that creates so he can fly and breath fire (I don't know I'm not a scientist). There's a real life beetle that uses a chemical reaction in its body to create literally boiling hot spray from its body so imagine that but on a much larger scale and on a turtle instead of an insect.

Megalon: Evolved drill-like hands for burrowing underground
Mechagodzilla: built by humanity or liquid metal alien creature that takes on the shape of Godzilla
Gabara: he was never really given an origin he just has a funky design so you can do pretty much whatever with him
Jet Jaguar: could be repurposed into some kind of in-name-only battle armor or smaller mech suit used to combat Titans, keeping him a superhero robot would never work in the MV
why did i have to be the chosen one?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

If Gamera originated from something similar to an underwater volcano, he could likely fly from just the sheer force and impact from the flames that would come out of the bottom of a solid 100k ton shelled body frame

Megalon is worshipped as a god, simply switch that to being a cyborg byproduct of those underground humans he lives near

Jet Jaguar, giant Pac Rim style Mech, that maybe has an AI take complete control

Gabara is the easiest, just a complete redesign that relates to his electric powers.

How about Gamera's villains lol,
Barugon the one who shiits rainbows
Knifehead (Forgot his name)
Zygra the alien intelligent battleship shark
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

KillCrites
Interpol Agent

Post by KillCrites »

_JNavs_ wrote:How about Gamera's villains lol,
Barugon: just drop the the rainbow thing completely in favor of multicolored rays/lasers/whatever that homages the original but makes it less silly

Guiron and Zigra don't really do that many outlandish stuff or have designs that can't be easily modernized so they'd be pretty easy.
why did i have to be the chosen one?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

KillCrites wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:How about Gamera's villains lol,
Barugon: just drop the the rainbow thing completely in favor of multicolored rays/lasers/whatever that homages the original but makes it less silly

Guiron and Zigra don't really do that many outlandish stuff or have designs that can't be easily modernized so they'd be pretty easy.
Ehhh I'll give you Guiron but Zigra being a self sentient spaceship shark that transforms into a giant intelligent bird shark with legs is a bit harder to modernize realistically
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If the Heisei Gamera films are anything to go by, he should be an synthetic organism created by Atlantis.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

Gabara: a catlike kaiju that picks on smaller kaiju and always backs down from ones as strong or stronger than him. One of the characters names him after an old childhood bully. Not a major role.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Honestly, I would much rather have the kajiu stay "silly" and crazy rather than being just another thing that's part of an ecosystem - not saying that's the alternative all of you guys are saying.
Don't rip them out of their films and slap them unto the MonsterVerse, some changes would be good just don't water them down if that makes sense.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

jayson
Samurai

Post by jayson »

Try to squeeze Tohos monsters in, while still respecting the Legendary criteria. Sounds like fun

Mechagodzilla for me is a no go... unless as I've said before you push waaay into the future and you can add Jet Jaguar to that scenario. So they'll fit but still come with lots of questions.

Megalon feels like a much easier one where everything he is could be biological. Instead of drill hands that are used as his primary tunneling/travelling ability, have his hand/limbs vibrate like the tail of a rattle snake and push through the rock and earth that way. His spit bombs are easily explained away as another biological ability based on insects that secrete fluids to ward off predators. Just have him "spit" it. Flying is easy.

I feel Gigan could be pretty easy where you replace the word cyborg with genetic engineering. Ghidorah Cells, Godzilla cells, MUTO cells or any other monster in the Legendary universe that could potentially fit the needs of the design and presto.

Gabara is in fact one of the crazier monsters I'll admit but not impossible with a few alterations. His face always reminded me of a cat and his abilities are that of an electric eel. Find a design that matches his original look while using those two creatures to update him much like Gigan.

Gamera overall is easy until you get to the flying. No idea on that one.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

LockBite wrote:There’s plenty of kaiju out there that some would say are too fantastical in concept to be introduced to the MonsterVerse. Here are some along with their most obvious obstacles.

Jet Jaguar: everything about him
Well...

*Thinks*

Perhaps Jet Jaguar could be a prototype robot
designed by Monarch to track & observe the
Titans?

Eventually have a entire legion of them used to
help evacuate areas effected by the Titans as well
as to serve as bodyguards for the Monarch scientists.

Think the Iron Legion from Age of Ultron.

Rocket propulsion from the feet, a simple but effective
weapons system for engaging human threats, able to
handle extreme conditions & every unit is connected
via a control signal which acts like...well...a planet
wide surveillance network & Titan alarm system.

No size changing though...as much as I'd love to see it.
Last edited by Grievous on Fri Feb 22, 2019 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gamera: Just make him a creature that evolved in the same Bio-Volcanic bio-sphere was Rodan and the Magma Turtles. Assuming we are avoiding ancient civilizations or aliens as an origin.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

I wouldn't.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

morgoth wrote:I wouldn't.
Yeah lol.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Smuggers
EDF Instructor

Post by Smuggers »

Godzilla: an iguana (dinosaurs aren't alive, let alone real) mutated by the horrors of nuclear testing, atomic ray replaced by a more believable flammable belch. Design tweaked to adopt a new realistic stance rather than the bulky man-suit approach (why would a lizard stand like a human?). It's not the seventies anymore.
BARAGONBREH wrote:This website is a disturbing commentary on the state of reading comprehension today.
goji89 wrote:Its common courtesy to ask people if they can be quoted.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Smuggers wrote:Godzilla: an iguana (dinosaurs aren't alive, let alone real) mutated by the horrors of nuclear testing, atomic ray replaced by a more believable flammable belch. Design tweaked to adopt a new realistic stance rather than the bulky man-suit approach (why would a lizard stand like a human?). It's not the seventies anymore.
This, this sounds like a massive success.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Any mechs would have to be set in the future or there would have to be some kind of alien tech being introduced or something. The way the monster-verse is now, the military is nowhere near having mecha monster super weapons.

I'd like to see Megalon adapted in a way where he actually looks like a giant beetle. One of the reasons I liked Kumonga and Kamacarus so much as a kid was because Toho did a great job of designing them to be giant versions of what they were supposed to be. Megalon though looks more like a Power Ranger villain. Its beetle-esque. It has a humanoid shape with a beetle head (and only four limbs). I'd love to see a redesign for Megalon to actually look the way I've always wanted him to look. Keep the drills at the end of his appendages, and heck I'm okay with the mouth bombs. But shape him like how a beetle should look and I'd be all over that.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

GojiDog wrote:I'd like to see Megalon adapted in a way where he actually looks like a giant beetle. One of the reasons I liked Kumonga and Kamacarus so much as a kid was because Toho did a great job of designing them to be giant versions of what they were supposed to be. Megalon though looks more like a Power Ranger villain. Its beetle-esque. It has a humanoid shape with a beetle head (and only four limbs). I'd love to see a redesign for Megalon to actually look the way I've always wanted him to look. Keep the drills at the end of his appendages, and heck I'm okay with the mouth bombs. But shape him like how a beetle should look and I'd be all over that.
What about a Mech version of Megalon?

;)
Last edited by Grievous on Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

It’s simple for Gamera. Just make him an ancient genetically-engineered bio-weapon. It worked in the 90’s so why not now? Explain his flight by saying that he’s bio-mechanical in nature.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

MrRockett
JXSDF Technician

Post by MrRockett »

Just say Gamera eats tons of spicy Mexican food and the byproduct of that is an ignitable gas potent enough for flight...

I mean it is a blue flame.
goji89 wrote:King Gonorrhea
I've turned over a new leaf, and it's still just a leaf so I guess I'm still the same a-hole I've always been just now with two leaves.