Emergence: Kaiju Invasion HUB

A place to play and organize role playing games on the forums with others. "Mafia" games welcome.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Emergence: Kaiju Invasion HUB

Post by Zarm »

JAGzilla wrote:So... whenever time allows, we'll need to figure out how to continue this game with Daws having gone AWOL. The easiest thing to do is probably to retcon his characters out of existence, which only has any serious impact on the Council and their conference. We'll have to re-do that whole scene somehow, which sucks, but the only obvious alternatives would be for somebody to take over Daws' characters (and I don't see anybody wanting to), or something in-story yanking them out of the picture right where we are, if that's even possible.

I had Arugas heading for Egypt to investigate Tiamat, but that can easily be retconned to say he's going after Valse, or something.
Yes. We might even want to take the opportunity to 'clean house' and retcon out some of the unused kaiju in the process?
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Purge them from the Emergence lands! No mercy!

#BotM

Monster X
G-Force Personnel

Post by Monster X »

I'd like to jump in if there is room, I'll need to catch up on the story befor I start adding however.

Ok please let me know if this is no good.

Name: Moby Dick

Height 400 feet (From the highest point of his back)

Physical description:

Emergence: Emerged from in the Amazon Rainforest. Satellites over the continent identified the sudden apperances of a massive heat signature. This was suspected to be a kaiju emergence but due to the location and a variety of other factor no military force could be sent to engage, however a recognisance team was sent to assess the situation. They discovered the kaiju that would be called Moby Dick. After emerging, Moby Dick commenced eating the Amazon Rainforest and is causing massive ecological damage.

Personality: Aloof and Indifferent, Moby Dick is a walking (well plodding) mountain who's primary goal it to satiate his titanic hunger. He spends his time making his way to his next meal with everything in the way gets trampled or ploughed through. That said he's generally peaceful and doesn't go looking for fights, he just wants to be left alone to eat in peace. Unfortunate for every party involved, his indifference and single mindedness can very easily cause trouble as he wont think twice about trampling through other Kaiju's territories and dens.

When threatened Moby Dick will generally make a show of his size and strength to deter his would be attacker. If this fails he gives them a quick blast of his breath weapon in an attempt to make the point. If the other kaiju is really dead set on fighting after this point, Moby Dick doesn't, and really cannot, hold back and hits his foe with every ounce of power he's got.

Moby Dick's primary food source is plant matter, which is why he always heads for densely forested areas. That said he will ingest stones (big freaking boulders) and take the odd bite out of buildings to help him digest his primary food.

Powers/Abilities:

Size: Moby Dick is big, even by kaiju standards. His size alone can discourages attackers and anything that tries to attack him head on is at risk of being trampled. This also means that despite the fact he's not interested in destroying cities, he cannot help causing a lot of damage when passing through.

Hight Body Temperature: Moby Dick's body temperature is very high, to the point that ice rapidly melts on contact with his skin. Steam can regularly be seen rising from his body.

Whip Tail: His primarily weapon in combat, Moby Dick's tail is a deadly whip capable of slicking buildings in half.

Stomp: Moby Dick's most powerful attack. He rears up on his back legs, then bring his front legs (plus all his weight) down on his target.

Scolding Spout: Moby Dick shoots a stream of scolding hot steam from his mouth. This attack is not ment to be lethal, instead it's ment to simply hurt, blind and confuse his enemies. That said it packs enough force to knock other kaiju over if they cough off guard and down flyers if they take it full on. It has it's uses in combat also, as it can leave his opponent vulnerable to attack if they are close enough. For humans however this attack is a lot more dangerous, with people being boiled to death, vehicles sent flying and buildings blasted apart.

Walking Ecological Disaster: Moby Dick's hunger causes him to consume large sections of forest at a time, which can lead to the destruction of entire ecosystems.

Weaknesses:

Slow: Very, very slow. He's got two speeds. Plodding and plodding slightly faster. He's a bit faster in water but thats not saying much.

Big Target: It's vertually impossible to miss him with an attack, he's that big and slow.

Always Hungry: Moby Dick must constantly search for food to fuel his massive body.
Last edited by Monster X on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

It's ultimately KaijuCanuck's call whether you can join or not; we had closed sign ups a while back due to the game being crowded and complex as it is, but I guess we may have an opening now that Daws has left. We have a good amount of story untangling/rewriting to do in the wake of that, so it may be a little while (hopefully just a little while) before things actually start moving forward again.

Also, a sauropod kaiju is kinda different. Makes some sense, though; we have two therapod kaiju running around, so there might as well be other dinosaur types represented in our pantheon. And I can just imagine the looks on the Newton team's faces when 'Moby Dick' was generated for this guy. :lol: "Is... this some kind of glitch, or...? Do we just go with it?"
Last edited by JAGzilla on Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

"It's the 'Ragnarok bug' acting up again."
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Name:
Gandara

Height:
50 Meters

Physical description:
Horned Aquatic Reptile Kaiju. Orange in color with yellow horns, black eyes with white pupils, and blue spines that vaguely resemble Godzilla's. Also slightly resembles a shark, having a large triangular dorsal fin on his back that cuts in between his rows of blue spines, and a finned shark-like tail.

Emergence:

Discovered off the coast of Sapporo in battle with Titanosaurus

Personality:
Young, headstrong, inexperienced.
Powers/Abilities:
- Horn Lightning: Gandara emits a powerful blast of orange lighting from the horn on his nose, similar to that of the Larval Battra
- Sonic Roar: Gandara can use a far louder and more devastating version of his standard roar, destroying most objects and sending opponents flying with their ears gushing blood.
- Tail Winds: Due to the fin on the end of his tail, Gandara can use the fins on his tail to create hurricane winds by fanning his tail, similar to Titanosaurus.
- Swimming: While slow on land, Gandara can swim at super-sonic speeds.
- Spikes: Gandara has horns and spikes all over his body that he can use as blunt weapons in melee combat.
Weaknesses:
- Land: While he is fully capable of being on land for extended periods of time, Gandara eventually needs to return to the sea to re-hydrate his skin and body.
Last edited by Gojirawars 03 on Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

^ Cool design, mate! But once again, it’s ultimately up to Canuck whether or not our two possible new and scaly friends get in.

#BotM

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Also, make sure you're reading the rules, character bios, and what we have of the story so far before trying to jump in. This game is completely story-based, so it's essential that everyone know what's going on and how this world functions. Case in point, Titanosaurus doesn't exist in this universe. We're doing original kaiju only, and they all come from the same mysterious origin 20,000 years ago. The first few pages of this thread will tell you most of what you need to know, but feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Ignus Lung: "I punched you in the face Tyrosus pls respond."
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Another 20 days into E:KI drought, any chance of this RPG continuing? Or has this one bit the dust?
Extra THICC!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Hey guys. Sorry for the radio silence. I haven't been ignoring this thread, I just knew this post was going to be one that I had to think about while I wrote it, and I needed the time to sit down and write it properly. Also, I dunno, everytime we go into hiatus, starting up again starts to fill me with anxiety, so I do probably put it off a little bit, for which I apologize. I also just haven't really been on TK much lately. You guys, and this game, have always been awesome, but I've been finding the rest of the board somewhat toxic lately. Lots of fighting, bullying, stupid shit, etc. Just hasn't seemed the most positive place lately.

Okay. So two big things.

One, Daws left TK. That's old news now. Moving forward we need to think of a way to accommodate that.

Option 1: we take control of his characters. This is tricky and none of us quite know exactly how Daws' mythology works. Possibly we control them with a view to phase them out, or we use what we know and fill in the details in a way that we try to make organic with the rest of the game.

Option 2: retcon. We do something to remove them from the story. Either we just move forward as if they never happened, OR we come up with some kind of crazy story event that just wipes them away and resets the timeline (up to where we are in the game already) as if they had never been there. Almost like a 'Flashpoint' type thing, if you know the reference. Personally I favour this approach, but as always I want to hear from you guys.

For the record, I have spoken with Daws about this and he is okay with either option. Daws is a great guy, a great writer, and he contributed a lot of the most ambitious, awesome ideas this game had. We would not be removing his content with a lack of acknowledgement of his contribution and the fun we had with him. He will always be recognized as a member of this group.

Which brings me to two - moving forward.

I'm not going to lie - these breaks will happen again. I am currently in a really intensive school program where I'm basically studying all of the time I'm not in class. This is going to go on for the next two a half years. When I do have free time, I'm often just exhausted and find it easier to watch tv than to try and write good stories.

I hope I'm not coming off as blunt. I really love this game. And please never think I don't appreciate you guys, even with how admittedly shitty I am at keeping the game running. It's an amazingly affirmative thing, the way you all threw yourselves into it and made the game you're own. You are all brilliant writers who are a pleasure to read, and your kaiju and characters are ones I've really come to love and would really miss. This game would be nothing without all of you, each and every one of have made it leagues bigger, richer, and more alive than it ever was when I first posted it. And, for the trillionth time, I am really sorry for all the stopping and starting. I hope you guys don't think less of me for it.

I feel we have three options moving forward.

1. Status quo. Again I have to stress - I absolutely cannot promise these long breaks won't happen again. Realistically, they just will. I'm really sorry.

2. I 'open source' the game. Essentially, I reveal my entire game plan. All the secret mythology. All the rules underpinning everything. The idea being, essentially, that I remove myself as a much as I can as a barrier to progress. This doesn't mean that the game still has to follow my blueprint - only that everyone sees what is beneath the surface of everything, and, with everyone now an equal owner of the game content, rules, and world, we move forward in a more cooperative, open-ended fashion.

3. We end the game.

Once we figure out what we're doing, you new guys who posted above can decide if you are still interested.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

I actually didn't realize Daws left TK, shows how inactive I've been for the past few months, any particular reason he left?

Ignus Lung is the only character I've got in this game, and he was in the middle of fighting Tyrosus, I think Tekuta & Sangrazotz were still carrying Hanjiru to safety.

I still would like to see this game continue until it reaches a proper conclusion, but if everyone else feels like it has run its course, I'll be willing to let the game end.

Considering all the different real life factors each of us have to deal with, I don't hold it against you for the delays, Canuck.
I am also becoming more busy, with trying to get my drivers license and an actual job & continuing college.
I don't know how to feel about making the game "Open source", although, it might be the best option to keep the Emergence alive, at least if the status quo is too tedious to work with.
Extra THICC!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I feel like open-sourcing would remove a lot of the mystery and suspense from the game, likely to its detriment. I'd rather put up with the breaks, though maybe it would be helpful to kind of formalize them. If you run into too much work or otherwise aren't up to playing for a while, just let us know, so we're not wondering whether you've given up on the game or something. ;) Waiting isn't hard to deal with if it's expected and understood.

As for the Daws question, I would say some form of Option 2 is more practical. I could be wrong, but I can't really see any of us wanting to take on dozens of new characters right now. There's no way to avoid some awkwardness, but having some in-game event take them out would probably be easier than having to rewrite the Council introduction from scratch.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

I’m honestly fine with whatever everyone else decides to do. But, personally speaking, I vote that we continue forward until it gets to a point where we just can’t anymore, or we actually finish the story. We’ve got a good thing going here, and I’d hate to see yet another great RP end prematurely.

I’m fine with the breaks; stuff comes up and real life takes top priority. We all have taken long breaks from these things in the past, and it’s completely understandable. So, if we could get back into the swing of things, do a bit of retconning whilst still honoring the work that Dawson has done, and merely have to worry about breaks here and there... I’d be completely cool with that.

Just the two cents from TK’s resident ninja.

#BotM

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Personally, I'd be in favor of the status quo- this break has worked for me, as I've been swamped with the new baby, but I don't want to end this story forever... and I don't want to know where everything is going, either.

In terms of Daws' characters, I'd favor the 'Flashpoint' approach (at least that comics publishing disaster could be good for something ;) )- I'd love to make any changes in-universe.

I will certainly go with whatever the group decides, though.

Billzilla, without going into too much detail, as I'm not sure what Daws would want, I think it's a combination of feeling the same way about the environment of the boards that KaijuCanuck mentioned, and some grief that has hit his family pretty hard. I do have (sporadic) contact with him by email, so I can pass on messages if anyone wants to get in contact with him.

Maranatha!

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Plus, I can’t just let some golden winged bastard usurp my own winged bastard for the title of, “coolest, multi-headed winged bastard around”. That just wouldn’t be fair!

#BotM

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Okay! Looks like there is a consensus. Status quo and retcon.

So... any ideas for how a retcon might work?

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

That red crystal ultimate weapon they've all been after, they get it to make a big last stand against that horrible destroyer- but it turns out to warp space and time, creating some sort of temporal incursion that either eliminates the pantheon- or eliminates the destroyer and results in a timeline where they never had any reason to come to Earth?

In short, one big standoff battle-scene, an ultimate weapon triggered, a bright flash and... they're gone. With, or without, memory they had ever been there?

Maranatha!

Andrew the Gojifan
Monsterland Worker

Post by Andrew the Gojifan »

Or maybe those super powerful beings make an example out of them?
Life is a Pay to Win rage game

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Andrew the Gojifan wrote:Or maybe those super powerful beings make an example out of them?
Not confirming the existence of any super powerful beings. Were that the case, it would be tempting - but perhaps not respectful of Daws’ characters.