Gamera in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

My point is a Gamera remake MonsterVerse or not could still do decent if it had well known actors. That's again why The Meg and Rampage did so well and now would be the best time to do such a movie given were in the decade of the revival of giant monster movies.

Known actors is among the keys to doing well in the box office.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

You don’t have a point. At least not one other than “why not” and that’s not a good enough reason to go through the trouble to acquire Gamera’s rights.

You’ll have a point if they cast Chris Pratt as Gamera or if the MonsterVerse gets big enough so that they can take risks.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Feb 03, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

PitchBlackProgress wrote:You’ll have a point if they cast Chris Pratt as Gamera.
Right like how they cast Dwayne Johnson as George or Jason Statham as the Megalodon?

Wait that didn't happen. Look how well those movies did.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:You’ll have a point if they cast Chris Pratt as Gamera.
Right like how they cast Dwayne Johnson as George or Jason Statham as the Megalodon?

Wait that didn't happen. Look how well those movies did.
They were no where the success that Guardians of the Galaxy was so using it as a rebuttal is missing the point.

You’d have a point if Gamera would actually garner the same hype that Kong v Godzilla will.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

PitchBlackProgress wrote:They were no where the success that Guardians of the Galaxy was so using it as a rebuttal is missing the point.
I wouldn't expect an Gamera remake to do that good anyways but if casting well known actors like they did for those two movies. I can see it doing just as good as those two or even close to Godzilla and Kong: Skull Island.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

A Gamera movie would be the nail in the MV coffin…

It’d have to be movie of the year and survive on solely good word of mouth by being an amazingly well acted film before it’d warrant the trouble to get his rights, and guess what? The MV isn’t capable of that.

No one would give a fuck about the matchup, the hype would be sub par at best and not at all worth the effort.

Some of you need to take off these fan goggles and look at this like a person with a rational grip on the real world.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#slatternking

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Which is why IMO it'd work better as its own separate film not part of the MonsterVerse.

All I was just saying is MonsterVerse or not. If it starred well known actors that it'd do probably as good as Rampage and The Meg.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AtomicMorningBreath
Interpol Agent

Post by AtomicMorningBreath »

If the MonsterVerse ever gets to the point where every movie is a financial success because of brand recognition/reputation alone, then by all means, acquiring Gamera's rights would be worth it. Right now...not so much.

It's too early for the MV to take those kinds of risks yet imo.
"It's ok, they're all smoking."

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Do Gamera vs Godzilla as his introduction. Remake the Shibuya scene somewhere in America. Have him kick Godzilla's ass as an equal Titan. Gamera is now over with the mainstream audience.

You don't introduce him in a solo film and it will be fine, half the marketing of these films is us fans getting our GA friends and family to get hyped and the other half is trailers.

The people saying we are overhyping Gamera are also underhyping him if legendary went and got the rights.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Hahahahahahaah

Gamera has a kino-streak 4 films long, I don't want Legendary to ruin that
...kino-streak? What's that?

Added in 9 minutes 49 seconds:
gottatalktothefake wrote:No one in GA knows who Gamera is while Godzilla is one of the most well known fictional characters, can you see why one works and the other doesn’t?
People not knowing who he is has nothing to do with him working or being successful. Most of the Marvel heroes weren't exactly well known to the GA before their films. We need to get past this idea that prior recognition is the only key to success.

Added in 3 minutes 41 seconds:
Living Corpse wrote:This series has already introduced a magma bio-sphere with Bio-Volcanic and Mineral Fauna with the Magma Turtles and Rodan. Gamera can just be a part of that ecosystem.
I saw both Godzilla and Kong, where the heck did Magma Turtles show up?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

While I'm a hundred percent for Gamera being in the Monsterverse, I don't think that might happen. As looks Toho might start making these with Legendary, well that's what I'm thinking at least. We know that they rejected a crossover between Godzilla and Gamera before.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

kingkevzilla88 wrote:While I'm a hundred percent for Gamera being in the Monsterverse, I don't think that might happen. As looks Toho might start making these with Legendary, well that's what I'm thinking at least. We know that they rejected a crossover between Godzilla and Gamera before.
It doesn’t have to be a crossover

Added in 40 seconds:
Vakanai wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Hahahahahahaah

Gamera has a kino-streak 4 films long, I don't want Legendary to ruin that
...kino-streak? What's that?

Added in 9 minutes 49 seconds:
gottatalktothefake wrote:No one in GA knows who Gamera is while Godzilla is one of the most well known fictional characters, can you see why one works and the other doesn’t?
People not knowing who he is has nothing to do with him working or being successful. Most of the Marvel heroes weren't exactly well known to the GA before their films. We need to get past this idea that prior recognition is the only key to success.

Added in 3 minutes 41 seconds:
Living Corpse wrote:This series has already introduced a magma bio-sphere with Bio-Volcanic and Mineral Fauna with the Magma Turtles and Rodan. Gamera can just be a part of that ecosystem.
I saw both Godzilla and Kong, where the heck did Magma Turtles show up?
The comics
GO GO GOJI KUN

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

GoWhaleTours wrote:The comics
I imagine that the filmmakers are unaware of the comics much less count them in continuity, so I would be surprised if they ever used that. Although I would freaking love it if they did.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Vakanai wrote:
I imagine that the filmmakers are unaware of the comics much less count them in continuity, so I would be surprised if they ever used that. Although I would freaking love it if they did.
They are aware of the comics. Aftershock explains the difference with Godzilla’s dorsal Finns.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

GoWhaleTours wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
They are aware of the comics. Aftershock explains the difference with Godzilla’s dorsal Finns.
Is Aftershock one of the comics? How do you know the filmmakers are aware of it, and not just the writer got to see what Godzilla looked like and decided to include it in the story? More information would be appreciated.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

Vakanai wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote:
Vakanai wrote: I imagine that the filmmakers are unaware of the comics much less count them in continuity, so I would be surprised if they ever used that. Although I would freaking love it if they did.
Is Aftershock one of the comics? How do you know the filmmakers are aware of it, and not just the writer got to see what Godzilla looked like and decided to include it in the story? More information would be appreciated.
Dougherty was part of the panel for Aftershock. And legendary has confirmed at multiple cons that Awakening, birth of Kong, and aftershock are canon.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I see both points. EVENTUALLY bringing in Gamera to the MV would be fine. However don’t expect Gamera to receive the Kong or Godzilla push.

I think a Godzilla vs Gamera has a better shot in happening in Japan than Gamera being in the MV.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Toho rejected a crossover because they would be getting half the profit and the market was already in dwindling down.

I stand by my orginal statement, if the MV continues past GvsK and starts doing better and better we may see Gamera show up and they should introduce in Godzilla vs Gamera first.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

miguelnuva wrote:Toho rejected a crossover because they would be getting half the profit and the market was already in dwindling down.

I stand by my orginal statement, if the MV continues past GvsK and starts doing better and better we may see Gamera show up and they should introduce in Godzilla vs Gamera first.
Godzilla and Kong are household names. Why would Legendary bother using a character that is basically unknown outside of Japan and kaiju fandom? Why pay for the rights to Gamera when they have Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah on top of their two flagship characters?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote:I see both points. EVENTUALLY bringing in Gamera to the MV would be fine. However don’t expect Gamera to receive the Kong or Godzilla push.

I think a Godzilla vs Gamera has a better shot in happening in Japan than Gamera being in the MV.
No way. As unlikely as I think Gamera in the Monsterverse is, I'll at least acknowledge the possibility, whereas we (and by we I mean everyone not in a padded room) all know that Toho ain't ever planning on letting a Godzilla Gamera movie happen in Japan. Seriously, Toho has already rejected the idea. Ultraman and Gamera has a much better chance than Godzilla and Gamera.

Added in 1 minute 20 seconds:
GoWhaleTours wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
GoWhaleTours wrote: They are aware of the comics. Aftershock explains the difference with Godzilla’s dorsal Finns.
Dougherty was part of the panel for Aftershock. And legendary has confirmed at multiple cons that Awakening, birth of Kong, and aftershock are canon.
That's good info then, thank you.
Still doubt it'll pop up in the films, but nice knowing the possibility isn't farfetched.

Added in 5 minutes 19 seconds:
Godzillian wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Toho rejected a crossover because they would be getting half the profit and the market was already in dwindling down.

Godzilla and Kong are household names. Why would Legendary bother using a character that is basically unknown outside of Japan and kaiju fandom? Why pay for the rights to Gamera when they have Rodan, Mothra, and Ghidorah on top of their two flagship characters?
Because by then it won't matter if people know who Gamera is or not. Ideally by that point they'll have gained some brand recognition for themselves and their Monsterverse like Marvel has for their MCU that'll help push Gamera like MCU helped push Guardians of the Galaxy. And something as out there as Gamera will help provide more variety to their lineup of monster movies. I mean, if Rampage and The Meg can be successful films, why not? Plus Gamera might be cheaper to license.