Gamera in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Dynomy-DX
Interpol Agent

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Post by Dynomy-DX »

I would love to see Gamera in the Monsterverse. That can introduce a more fantasy-esque element to the Monsterverse, which wouldn't be too out of the ordinary if handled right. If they take what was applied in the Heisei era but make it more easily graspable by general audiences, it could work. In terms of audience, a lot of people had doubt in Guardians of the Galaxy, yet that's a household name now, so getting Gamera some recognition could work, even if small term.

... That being said...

I'm also not expecting Gamera in the long run. I feel that heavily depends on how far the Monsterverse succeeds, to the point where they could use more risky ideas to see if they land. Even then, Toho's been kind of weird with letting Godzilla crossover with anyone who isn't Kong. As much as I'd love to finally see Godzilla Vs. Gamera on the big screen, I also gotta be realistic. Gamera has a very low chance of showing up. Best case scenario is that we get a seperate reboot, but I'm not sure we'll get him in the Monsterverse.
Reignited... and hopefully less weird this time around.

I'm a guy with simple interests. Mostly revolving around monsters blowing up entire cities.

morgoth
G-Force Personnel

Post by morgoth »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:It’ll never be as big as you guys are hoping it’d be
^This. I have said a few times now that if G2 and GvK do well, You will see a FEW more films; Like maybe 1 or 2. People that think this is going to be another MCU are in for a major disappointment.
"The wait was not a long one."

"The Devil has three heads."

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

^That is highly pessimistic thinking on your behalf.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

LegendZilla wrote:^That is highly pessimistic thinking on your behalf.
No we’re just living in reality…
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

No one in GA knows who Gamera is while Godzilla is one of the most well known fictional characters, can you see why one works and the other doesn’t?
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

gottatalktothefake wrote:No one in GA knows who Gamera is while Godzilla is one of the most well known fictional characters, can you see why one works and the other doesn’t?
No because all children know how to do is base shit on their own personal preferences instead of rationally thinking about whether or not it’d work. Adding Gamera to the MonsterVerse would never garner the emotional woe ight and hype that it’d deserve among the GA and it’d be no different than adding the Giant Claw or some other obscure no-name bullshit monster to the roster.

A Godzilla vs. Gamera film would never be as big as Godzilla vs. Kong or Godzilla vs. The Justice League/Avengers, and no one outside the fandom will ever give a damn.

For fucks sake, talk about something more likely like Mechagodzilla, at least WB actually has his rights :P
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Gonna play devil's advocate because why not?

General audiences had no idea who the hell Ironman was back in the day.

Gamera in the Monsterverse is still a very unlikely outcome but... hey, so was GvK. Back in 2013-2014 you'd be laughed off the forum for seriously suggesting it could happen. Guess the moral is "never say never."
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Back in 2013-2014 you'd be laughed off the forum for seriously suggesting it could happen.
Quite the opposite, case in point- HipsterThor.

And the GA’s known who IronMan was since the Black Sabbath song in the 1970’s.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Feb 02, 2019 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
#slatternking

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

The Sabbath song isn't actually about the superhero.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Gonna play devil's advocate because why not?

General audiences had no idea who the hell Ironman was back in the day.

Gamera in the Monsterverse is still a very unlikely outcome but... hey, so was GvK. Back in 2013-2014 you'd be laughed off the forum for seriously suggesting it could happen. Guess the moral is "never say never."
This to the tenth power.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

UltramanGoji wrote:The Sabbath song isn't actually about the superhero.
True, but it did introduce the name to the mainstream.
#slatternking

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Yes, he should show up in the same film where they do a Power Rangers/Pacific Rim crossover.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

This series has already introduced a magma bio-sphere with Bio-Volcanic and Mineral Fauna with the Magma Turtles and Rodan. Gamera can just be a part of that ecosystem.

Godzilla vs Kong could end with a cliffhanger, time skip a few weeks after, Godzilla and Kong are healed up, Gamera shows up to fight either Godzilla, Gamera or both. Audiences are intrigued, who is this Gamera guy? Then a prequel is released showing when they first learned about Gamera as an origin story much like Godzilla and Kong got, they can even have Rodan cameo to fight some Gyaos to get the point across they aren't the same thing. Then after that movie builds up hype, we get Godzilla vs Gamera.

Done.
gottatalktothefake wrote:No one in GA knows who Gamera is while Godzilla is one of the most well known fictional characters, can you see why one works and the other doesn’t?
Actually a lot of people's reaction videos to King of the Monsters showed they thought Gamera was in the movie, Mothra's larval head did look very sea turtlish at a glance.

Besides, even if they don't know who he is, they'll just assume he's a new monster. New monsters don't stop people from seeing these movies. No body knew who the fuck the Skullcrawlers or MUTOs were, didn't stop people from seeing Godzilla or K:SI because they were there for Godzilla and King Kong.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Yeah and all the people saying that were obviously fans of monsters as Mothra looked absolutely nothing like Gamera in the slightest.

The point is everyone would just think he’s a new monster and it wouldn’t be worth acquiring the rights.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Feb 03, 2019 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
#slatternking

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It's definitely possible in-universe. It could even work extremely well, as the GA would likely be interested in a giant spikey flame breathing Turtle with tusks that arrives from the Arctic. As a Titan Earth Defender. The problem is, the likelihood is extremely low that it would ever actually happen due to Studio interferences/approvals. I do think he'd be worth the license as I do believe that the GA are capable of liking "new" characters they haven't seen before. It's been proven time and time again. Yes they could just make their own giant turtle kaiju for free, but while not a household name, Gamera does (or did) have a standing in media.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Yeah and all the people saying that were obviously fans of monsters as Mothra looked absolutely nothing like Gamera in the slightest.
Living Corpse wrote: Mothra's larval head did look very sea turtlish at a glance.
Hell I thought they had a large turtle in the temple as a Sketurtle reference.
The point is everyone would just think he’s a new monster and it wouldn’t be worth acquiring the rights.
Living Corpse wrote:Besides, even if they don't know who he is, they'll just assume he's a new monster. New monsters don't stop people from seeing these movies. No body knew who the fuck the Skullcrawlers or MUTOs were, didn't stop people from seeing Godzilla or K:SI because they were there for Godzilla and King Kong.
And I already explained how to build hype for him, set up for a prequel movie.

Godzilla wasn't always "known", he was new at one point as well. You don't, I repeat, you DON'T help make an obscure character become mainstream by not giving him exposure and keeping him obscure because "well no one knows him". They never will if you keep that mentality.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Y'all forgetting how Guardians of the Galaxy was a bomb despite no general audience knowing who they were?

Oh wait...;)
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Y'all forgetting how Guardians of the Galaxy was a bomb despite no general audience knowing who they were?

Oh wait...;)
Pfft, a swing and a miss.
Not at all the same situation :lol:

Guardians of the Galaxy was well received because it had characters you could sympathize with, the Guardians crew may have been “new” The the GA but their characters were well acted.

Cast Chris Pratt as Gamera and maybe we’ll talk.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:Pfft, a swing and a miss.
Not at all the same situation :lol:

Guardians of the Galaxy was well received because it had characters you could sympathize with, the Guardians crew may have been “new” The the GA but their characters were well acted.

Cast Chris Pratt as Gamera and maybe we’ll talk.
People can accept a gun-trotting talking raccoon and a humanoid tree but not a giant turtle? Which I'd argue is just as cheesy. Also characters you could sympathize with? Heisei Gamera Trilogy would like a word with you. If they can take a note from that it could work then as well as casting well known actors as Guardians did which was why The Meg and Rampage did so well.

The actual real reason Guardians did well was because it had the Marvel name branded onto it drawing people in. If it wasn't Marvel audiences wouldn't had been drawn into it nor did that well to begin with.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Yet again, no ones arguing about the cheese factor, it’s a popularity factor, and while Groot and Rocket may not have been mainstream, Bradley Cooper and Vin Diesel are, as is Chris Pratt…

And it’s plain silly to assume Guardians would have bombed if Marvels name wasn’t slapped to it, sure, that’s what helped it the most, but it’s pretty safe to assume the fact it had an stellar cast and was well acted had just as much to do with its success. It was a good movie, Marvel or not, you’re arguements are moot, please stop :lol:

The best argument I’ve seen for even going through the trouble of acquiring Gamera’s rights is “why not?” and that’s garbage.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sun Feb 03, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#slatternking