Gamera in the Monsterverse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
LegendZilla
Sazer

Gamera in the Monsterverse

Post by LegendZilla »

In the past, I recall starting a thread dedicated to discussing whether or not Ultraman should be in the Monsterverse, only to be met with mostly disagreement. For a while, I vastly preferred the idea of Ultraman being in the Monsterverse more so than Gamera, but now I’m glad to admit that I’m actually warming up to the latter being incorporated one day. Theoretically speaking that is.

How should they handle Gamera in the Monsterverse? I know it would be a big risk if they wanted to pay homage the giant turtle befriending children as he did in the Showa era, but it all depends on execution. If they do, Legendary should take note from The Iron Giant in terms of a young child befriending a larger-than-life nonhuman entity. I also think they should keep the Atlantean-based origin of Gamera as seen in the Heisei series, since he could turn out to be the Monsterverse’s equivalent of Aquaman or Namor.

In his initial entry, I think he should be pitted against an original creation like Godzilla and Kong before him, only to later encounter the likes of Gyaos in potential sequels. What sort of creature should he fight? I would like him to battle some sort of giant humanoid mechanical Atlanta sentry gone rogue with ice-powers.

Do you like my ideas? If so, then post a comment below. ;)
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Gamera in the Monsterverse

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

IMO I feel Gamera has no place in the MonsterVerse. If he is to get a modern adaption and remake. It should be his own movie separate from the MonsterVerse.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Not this again
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I swear it’s a cycle of like the same two people :roll:
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Feb 01, 2019 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Hahahahahahaah

Gamera has a kino-streak 4 films long, I don't want Legendary to ruin that
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

Wouldn't fit, even if he somehow made it in no one except kaiju fans (which there aren't that many of us in the general moviegoing audience scheme of things) would know or care
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Like everyone else here said, he just doesn't fit in with the Monsterverse tbh. I would not mind if he gets a seperate, disconnected reboot, but here he would just feel a out of place. And like said above, unfortunately he's not enough of a household name for people to care whether he gets his own movie or not.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Also I feel now would definitely be the best time to bring Gamera back being were in the decade of the revival of giant monster/kaiju films.

Just get Guillermo del Toro to direct and were all set. ;)

Only again its own separate remake. No part of the MonsterVerse.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Also I feel now would definitely be the best time to bring Gamera back being were in the decade of the revival of giant monster/kaiju films.

Just get Guillermo del Toro to direct and were all set. ;)

Only again its own separate remake. No part of the MonsterVerse.
Just curious, how many of del Toro's films have you watched?
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Just curious, how many of del Toro's films have you watched?
I've seen Mimic, Pacific Rim, Blade II, Hellboy 1 & 2 and The Shape of Water.

Reason I feel Guillermo del Toro is the best choice for director is due to being a kaiju fan and the various mythos in many of his films like Pan's Labyrinth and Hellboy 1 & 2 which would easily work for Gamera. I can easily see him incorporating that into an American Gamera remake with the whole Atlantis origin.

Not to mention the visuals man. The skreeonking visuals! That'd be such a sight to see! :huge:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I just feel we need more non-Toho Kaiju in the Monsterverse, for variety’s sake.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote:I just feel we need more non-Toho Kaiju in the Monsterverse, for variety’s sake.
that's true, but Warner Bros have plenty of those already. they own Rhedosaurus, and i think the Giant claw too? and they could always just make more original being.
Last edited by Gigantis on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I wish people would stop saying Gamera wouldn't fit when Legendary Godzilla more or less took part Gamera's heisei backstory. Gamera would work fine in the MV with some minor tweaks.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

No ones saying he couldn’t, (well those who are don’t comprehend what the MV’s going for so let’s just ignore them)
The main point really is just no one cares enough to want him and the GA wouldn’t give eight fucks about him either so there’d be no hype except among the fandom and that’s not enough to warrant acquiring his rights when the MV could easily make its own “Gamera” fo free.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Fri Feb 01, 2019 4:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Godzilla2000Zero
Gotengo Officer

Post by Godzilla2000Zero »

Ultimately it depends on how committed Legendary wants to expand the Monsterverse I can definitely see some of them would like to bring Gamera into the fold not that I'm expecting it to happen.
I never worked this hard all my life since the time I lost my virginity.-Gareth Edwards SDCC 2012

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Del Toro is great with visuals but his scripts are either dull or flat.

Let's talk about Gameta after we see how good the MV actually is, I mean we've only had two films so far.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:No ones saying he couldn’t, (well those who are don’t comprehend what the MV’s going for so let’s just ignore them)
The main point really is just no one cares enough to want him and the GA wouldn’t give eight skreeonks about him either so there’d be no hype except among the fandom and that’s not enough to warrant acquiring his rights when the MV could easily make its own “Gamera” fo free.
Gamera had a NYCC panel and that short generated hype and now we have people on youtube saying Mothra was Gamera in the KOTM 2 trailer. I think if they introduced him in a Godzilla film first then did the solo film it would work better.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

It’ll never be as big as you guys are hoping it’d be
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dv-218 wrote:Like everyone else here said, he just doesn't fit in with the Monsterverse tbh. I would not mind if he gets a seperate, disconnected reboot, but here he would just feel a out of place. And like said above, unfortunately he's not enough of a household name for people to care whether he gets his own movie or not.
Would you rather see Ultraman?

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

LegendZilla wrote:
Dv-218 wrote:Like everyone else here said, he just doesn't fit in with the Monsterverse tbh. I would not mind if he gets a seperate, disconnected reboot, but here he would just feel a out of place. And like said above, unfortunately he's not enough of a household name for people to care whether he gets his own movie or not.
Would you rather see Ultraman?
He wouldn't fit in the Monsterverse at all. At least Gamera has a head start since he's already a giant prehistoric turtle and a protector of Earth. Now they just need him to move away from the whole protecting children aspect. Ultraman is a great character and a cool concept but he's an alien that took refuge inside a dead man because he felt bad and protects the Earth. I don't think the GA would warm up to that idea in the Monsterverse at all.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira