Concept arts or Suits?

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Godzilla2004fan
Samurai

Concept arts or Suits?

Post by Godzilla2004fan »

Do you prefer Concept Arts for the kaijus in the movies, or kaiju designs in the films?

It's a serious question, because some of the concepts are much better than the suits.
"The King of Monsters That Appeared in 1954" is Godzilla!
My DeviantArt account: https://www.deviantart.com/sonic2006fan

cmdmstudios
JXSDF Technician

Re: Concept arts or Suits?

Post by cmdmstudios »

Godzilla2004fan wrote:Do you prefer Concept Arts for the kaijus in the movies, or kaiju designs in the films?

It's a serious question, because some of the concepts are much better than the suits.
It's honestly a case by case basis for me. For the most part, I much prefer the final suits, but every so often, there is one piece of concept art for a kaiju that I think just looks so cool that it disappoints me that it wasn't used in the final film.

Case in point: There's a couple different designs for the Heisei MG that I much prefer over the final design. One being the Union MG that was made famous by Ohrai's poster. And the other being this bad boy:
https://www.tohokingdom.com/concept_art ... la_07.html
Well, that's certainly a thing.

"Well, you see, the Higgs Bison is the friendliest species of the water buffalo."

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I tend not to dwell on concept art too much...
and I understand that generally its used to
"funnel" ideas down to allow those in charge
to select which design they will eventually go
with.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It depends on what the suit looks like. Most of the time, the suits are just fine or fantastic. However, some of the concept art is just so creative that I wish they'd gone with it. Take Dagahra for example. I like the design of the sea monster, but a couple of those concept drawings would have looked amazing on screen.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The only concept art I really think is better then the final product are a bunch of the ones of Spacegodzilla, and a few of Destroyah. Early SG concept art had the monster look more original, and more menacing. Destroyah has some really cool early concepts, that were unique (like the weird combiner ones). Still Destroyah is awesome
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Final Wars Anguirus. The official concept art was infinitely superior to the actual suit. Most the FW suits matched the concept art pretty closely except Anguirus.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Final Wars Anguirus. The official concept art was infinitely superior to the actual suit. Most the FW suits matched the concept art pretty closely except Anguirus.
King Caesar, Hedorah, and Anguirus all have concept art tons better than the suits we got
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Final Wars Anguirus. The official concept art was infinitely superior to the actual suit. Most the FW suits matched the concept art pretty closely except Anguirus.
King Caesar, Hedorah, and Anguirus all has concept art tons better than the suits we got
I think all of the GFW costumes are worse than the concept art. I'm not a big fan of Wakasa's work in general and I don't think they were fully prepared to make that many monsters in the amount of time that they had, or with whatever they were budgeted.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

depends for me. sometimes the design for a Kaiju looks perfect and it looks like they hit the nail on the head like Biollante or Destoroyah.... but on the other hand, monsters like SpaceGodzilla, Heisei Mechagodzilla, and even the M.U.T.O's had better looking concepts than what we got.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

There are some bits of concept art for monsters that went unused that I adore and wish would be brought to life in the form of a new kaiju but for the most part happy with what we got. As for how the suits look on paper and on the screen, most of them don't have that much of an advantage over the other.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Concept art sometimes makes them look very great...then comes the movie suits and they change them. Sometimes just by taking away minor details often affect the end result.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Case by case.

While some of the designs in the concept art is better than the finished product that would become the suits, it's because the artist took artistic liberties where they aren't restricted and said designs need to be toned down a little cause they would be impractical as suits if 100% the same, when you reach that point they only way some of the concept designs can work is if they are brought to life through CGI.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Some of the SpaceGodzilla concept art would have been practical only as CGI. They look cool, but an actor has to fit inside the suit and be able to move.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.