King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by The Octopus »

^ Boy tell me about it. King Kong wasn't even nominated for an Oscar back in 1933 because it wasn't considered a prestige film. Who in the Hell today remembers Cavalcade that years Best Picture Oscar winner? How many people did that movie influence?
Last edited by The Octopus on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

"You are absolutely right, sir!" as Ed McMahon would say to Johnny Carson.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

If we're still talking about weird Kong concepts, consider that in 1975 Universal tried to quickly throw together a King Kong movie to try and force Paramount to stop making theirs
While the project fell apart very quickly, it did generate some interesting concept art, including a Kong design that was explicitly supposed to look "half-human" as opposed to the more traditional gorilla-like ape
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Reminds me of my headcanon where barring the 2005 incarnation all incarnations of King Kong are hominids descended from a member in the Australopithecine family or own Homo genus.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Hmm there's some concept art for K:SI floating around where he fights a giant elephant.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lKa85

Also, imagine how much the ground would be shaking from this battle?

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Living Corpse wrote:Hmm there's some concept art for K:SI floating around where he fights a giant elephant.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lKa85
So...that maybe one of the coolest pieces of concept art I've ever seen.

Thanks for sharing it L.C.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Would have loved to see Kong battle that Elephant. Probably would've been more exciting than him battling the squid (not that that little fight wasn't enjoyable)

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Wait....King Kong is REAL???

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Living Corpse wrote:Hmm there's some concept art for K:SI floating around where he fights a giant elephant.
Hmmm...
Spoiler:
I wonder if that's assuming true where the idea of the mammoth TITAN came from.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Anyone remember the 2005 tie in game? The soundtrack was FANTASTIC and is such a great atmospheric game that captured how powerful King Kong is. I also love how they gave Kong a more '33 like design.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

^I loved that game. On top of the atmosphere like you said, what I appreciated most about it was that it felt like a real journey. It didn't feel like a standard video game. It had a more cinematic appeal to it that really put you in the position of the characters in the movie - and by letting you play as Kong, let you see first hand why he's the god of his island.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

"JACK! HELP ME, JACK! IT'S GOT ME, JACK! I'M LOST, JACK! WHAT DO WE DO, JACK?! CHANGE MY DIAPER, JACK!"

That was part of the 2005 game, too. ;) But yeah, I stayed up till four in the morning playing it on that Christmas...

As for the elephant, I would very much be on board for seeing that thing someday. The Mire Squid was a nice Oodako homage, though, and I feel like the elephant would be better saved for a major boss battle.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Anyone remember the 2005 tie in game? The soundtrack was FANTASTIC and is such a great atmospheric game that captured how powerful King Kong is. I also love how they gave Kong a more '33 like design.
That game was fantastic. Easily the best movie tie in game I've ever played. To this day it's one of my favorite games on the original Xbox – it's the game that introduced me to survival horror.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

JAGzilla wrote:"JACK! HELP ME, JACK! IT'S GOT ME, JACK! I'M LOST, JACK! WHAT DO WE DO, JACK?! CHANGE MY DIAPER, JACK!"
HA!
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

They should open up a King Kong bank and this could be their slogan

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Anyone remember the 2005 tie in game? The soundtrack was FANTASTIC and is such a great atmospheric game that captured how powerful King Kong is. I also love how they gave Kong a more '33 like design.
One of my favorite games of all time. I love how well the game makes you feel powerless when playing as Jack. V-Rexes were some really scary stuff man.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

cloverfan98 wrote:
One of my favorite games of all time. I love how well the game makes you feel powerless when playing as Jack. V-Rexes were some really scary stuff man.
Yeah! I'm impressed how they managed to make the V-Rexes a tough and scary foe at every encounter without feeling like a chore to go through.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
That game was fantastic. Easily the best movie tie in game I've ever played. To this day it's one of my favorite games on the original Xbox – it's the game that introduced me to survival horror.
I had it on the PS2, I'm still trying to find my copy of the game. Do you remember the alternate ending where Kong escapes and lives?
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:
I had it on the PS2, I'm still trying to find my copy of the game. Do you remember the alternate ending where Kong escapes and lives?
You managed to title drop two different Kong movies at once. :lol:

Yeah! It was a cool ending. Although I always found it strange when I sat down and thought about it – Jack was shooting down planes to rescue Kong. Jack was *killing* people to rescue Kong. It may have been a good ending for Kong, but I can't imagine life for Jack would be great after that. At best he'd be on the run.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

I want to see Kong fight a giant baboon.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Kaiju-King42 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: I had it on the PS2, I'm still trying to find my copy of the game. Do you remember the alternate ending where Kong escapes and lives?
You managed to title drop two different Kong movies at once. :lol:

Yeah! It was a cool ending. Although I always found it strange when I sat down and thought about it – Jack was shooting down planes to rescue Kong. Jack was *killing* people to rescue Kong. It may have been a good ending for Kong, but I can't imagine life for Jack would be great after that. At best he'd be on the run.
Glad you caught that :lol:
Jack and Carl can be buddies in jail.