King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
Vakanai
Interpol Agent

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Postby Vakanai » Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:08 am

Maritonic wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Its nice that young people in today's age can appreciate an old movie.

Eh, I'm creeping out of that age where people call me young (I'm 31), plus I like classic monster movies in general (love all the old Universal horror pictures). You get weird fans like me in every generation.

I mean I'm 27, think the '33 Kong is by FAR the best one, and love the Universal Horrors. So you're not that weird. haha.

I don't know, I just always had the impression most people my age would never willingly watch anything in black and white, but maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong in that assumption. Know I certainly love a lot of these classic genre films.

Something I find interesting is I read/heard somewhere that a lot of these classic movies were considered low forms of entertainment that some studios/actors/whoever were embarrassed by because horror as a genre was believed to be lowbrow or lowest common denominator or whatever vs more drama type pictures, and yet today these movies have stood the test of time and are far better remembered and beloved than many of the "higher class" drama films.
Always, *always* proofread, typos are Hedorah.
If you discover you have made a typo, *always* correct it.
Trust me.

Godzilla vs Kong: Kong won't die. He might win, he might lose, but he will survive.

Some netiquette:
1. If you don't want to be rude, *ask* me before you sig me.

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:20 am

^ Boy tell me about it. King Kong wasn't even nominated for an Oscar back in 1933 because it wasn't considered a prestige film. Who in the Hell today remembers Cavalcade that years Best Picture Oscar winner? How many people did that movie influence?
Last edited by Shhh! The Octopus on Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikelcho
Yin-Yang Master

Postby mikelcho » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:35 am

"You are absolutely right, sir!" as Ed McMahon would say to Johnny Carson.

G2000
EDF Soldier

Postby G2000 » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:40 am

If we're still talking about weird Kong concepts, consider that in 1975 Universal tried to quickly throw together a King Kong movie to try and force Paramount to stop making theirs
While the project fell apart very quickly, it did generate some interesting concept art, including a Kong design that was explicitly supposed to look "half-human" as opposed to the more traditional gorilla-like ape
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Fri Jan 25, 2019 10:42 am

Reminds me of my headcanon where barring the 2005 incarnation all incarnations of King Kong are hominids descended from a member in the Australopithecine family or own Homo genus.

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Mon Jan 28, 2019 6:07 am

Hmm there's some concept art for K:SI floating around where he fights a giant elephant.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lKa85

Also, imagine how much the ground would be shaking from this battle?

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:25 am

Living Corpse wrote:Hmm there's some concept art for K:SI floating around where he fights a giant elephant.

https://www.artstation.com/artwork/lKa85

So...that maybe one of the coolest pieces of concept art I've ever seen.

Thanks for sharing it L.C.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Godzillian
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Godzillian » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:14 am

Would have loved to see Kong battle that Elephant. Probably would've been more exciting than him battling the squid (not that that little fight wasn't enjoyable)

goji89
Banned Hombre

Postby goji89 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:01 am

Wait....King Kong is REAL???

GodzillaFan1990's
Keizer

Postby GodzillaFan1990's » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:53 am

Living Corpse wrote:Hmm there's some concept art for K:SI floating around where he fights a giant elephant.

Hmmm...

Spoiler:
I wonder if that's assuming true where the idea of the mammoth TITAN came from.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:12 pm

Anyone remember the 2005 tie in game? The soundtrack was FANTASTIC and is such a great atmospheric game that captured how powerful King Kong is. I also love how they gave Kong a more '33 like design.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

mvp9056
Yin-Yang Master

Postby mvp9056 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:34 pm

^I loved that game. On top of the atmosphere like you said, what I appreciated most about it was that it felt like a real journey. It didn't feel like a standard video game. It had a more cinematic appeal to it that really put you in the position of the characters in the movie - and by letting you play as Kong, let you see first hand why he's the god of his island.

JAGzilla
Kwaidan

Postby JAGzilla » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:45 pm

"JACK! HELP ME, JACK! IT'S GOT ME, JACK! I'M LOST, JACK! WHAT DO WE DO, JACK?! CHANGE MY DIAPER, JACK!"

That was part of the 2005 game, too. ;) But yeah, I stayed up till four in the morning playing it on that Christmas...

As for the elephant, I would very much be on board for seeing that thing someday. The Mire Squid was a nice Oodako homage, though, and I feel like the elephant would be better saved for a major boss battle.

Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:53 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Anyone remember the 2005 tie in game? The soundtrack was FANTASTIC and is such a great atmospheric game that captured how powerful King Kong is. I also love how they gave Kong a more '33 like design.

That game was fantastic. Easily the best movie tie in game I've ever played. To this day it's one of my favorite games on the original Xbox – it's the game that introduced me to survival horror.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Postby Grievous » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:34 am

JAGzilla wrote:"JACK! HELP ME, JACK! IT'S GOT ME, JACK! I'M LOST, JACK! WHAT DO WE DO, JACK?! CHANGE MY DIAPER, JACK!"

HA!
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Shhh! The Octopus
Interpol Agent

Postby Shhh! The Octopus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:41 am

They should open up a King Kong bank and this could be their slogan

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Postby cloverfan98 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:22 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Anyone remember the 2005 tie in game? The soundtrack was FANTASTIC and is such a great atmospheric game that captured how powerful King Kong is. I also love how they gave Kong a more '33 like design.

One of my favorite games of all time. I love how well the game makes you feel powerless when playing as Jack. V-Rexes were some really scary stuff man.

MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:10 pm

cloverfan98 wrote:

One of my favorite games of all time. I love how well the game makes you feel powerless when playing as Jack. V-Rexes were some really scary stuff man.

Yeah! I'm impressed how they managed to make the V-Rexes a tough and scary foe at every encounter without feeling like a chore to go through.
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

That game was fantastic. Easily the best movie tie in game I've ever played. To this day it's one of my favorite games on the original Xbox – it's the game that introduced me to survival horror.

I had it on the PS2, I'm still trying to find my copy of the game. Do you remember the alternate ending where Kong escapes and lives?
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

Kaiju-King42
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:26 pm

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:

I had it on the PS2, I'm still trying to find my copy of the game. Do you remember the alternate ending where Kong escapes and lives?

You managed to title drop two different Kong movies at once. :lol:

Yeah! It was a cool ending. Although I always found it strange when I sat down and thought about it – Jack was shooting down planes to rescue Kong. Jack was *killing* people to rescue Kong. It may have been a good ending for Kong, but I can't imagine life for Jack would be great after that. At best he'd be on the run.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Living Corpse
Keizer

Postby Living Corpse » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:38 pm

I want to see Kong fight a giant baboon.

Return to “Monster Manor”