ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: ULTRA-THREAD 2.0

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

They are? Might have to check. Finished Gaia not too long ago. Thinking of starting Tiga/Dyna. Wanna focus mostly on the pre Monster Galaxy stuff.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I loved the OG Ultraman show, I also liked aspects of Ultraman Taro, Ace, Leo, Seven. The last one I kept up on was Ultraman Zero and Belial, which I really liked. But when did it start to turn into a more Power Ranger-esque show? With cards, yo-yos and different kids toys to power themselves up? Its lost a lot of the old school kaiju feel for me and stemmed more into a kinda childish "Ultra super mega powered so and so" kinda thing with mixed characters and what not.

P.S. Where's Gomora and the other classic kaiju?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

_JNavs_ wrote:P.S. Where's Gomora and the other classic kaiju?
Dude, these past several shows have been using nothing BUT classic monsters. R/B alone has used most of the ones we've seen over and over again (Gomora included)...aside from Zetton, which is nice. But one that has been mysteriously absent for a long while is Baltan...
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Dude, these past several shows have been using nothing BUT classic monsters. R/B alone has used most of the ones we've seen over and over again (Gomora included)...aside from Zetton, which is nice. But one that has been mysteriously absent for a long while is Baltan...
Yeah R/B is one that I couldn't get into, Anything post Ultra Galaxy. That's true too, where is Baltan :lol: ? I never got to finish the end of Ultra Galaxy so I have no clue where the classic kaiju ended up lol. I remember watching all those really cool fights with Gomora whooping literally everyone, but he's been notably absent in clips i've seen. The new series seem to only focus on bits and pieces from Ultra Galaxy while focusing on a much younger audience.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

_JNavs_ wrote:I remember watching all those really cool fights with Gomora whooping literally everyone, but he's been notably absent in clips i've seen. The new series seem to only focus on bits and pieces from Ultra Galaxy while focusing on a much younger audience.
Not sure if I follow. If you're saying you expected subsequent shows to continue from Ultra Galaxy, then that's simply not how these shows roll (We never followed up on the ZAT crew in Ultraman Leo, for example). Though of course, Ultraman Zero (Who originated from the Ultra Galaxy movie) still plays a substantial role.

As for Gomora, while the one owned by Rei in Ultra Galaxy hasn't been seen since, Gomora has appeared in Ultraman Ginga S, Ultraman X (Where the Gomora owned by Daichi plays a similar role to Rei's) and as stated, R/B, in a pretty lame appearance that could have been filled by any other monster. There's also Mecha Gomora who has gotten waaaaaaay overused these past few years.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I remember watching all those really cool fights with Gomora whooping literally everyone, but he's been notably absent in clips i've seen. The new series seem to only focus on bits and pieces from Ultra Galaxy while focusing on a much younger audience.
Not sure if I follow. If you're saying you expected subsequent shows to continue from Ultra Galaxy, then that's simply not how these shows roll (We never followed up on the ZAT crew in Ultraman Leo, for example). Though of course, Ultraman Zero (Who originated from the Ultra Galaxy movie) still plays a substantial role.

As for Gomora, while the one owned by Rei in Ultra Galaxy hasn't been seen since, Gomora has appeared in Ultraman Ginga S, Ultraman X (Where the Gomora owned by Daichi plays a similar role to Rei's) and as stated, R/B, in a pretty lame appearance that could have been filled by any other monster. There's also Mecha Gomora who has gotten waaaaaaay overused these past few years.
Rei's Gomora was my favorite, I hoped they brought him back, that's too bad. He was really the coolest notable kaiju and the Ultra Galaxy fights were some of the best in terms of action. I have seen a few Mecha Gomora clips but I haven't really looked into him as a character yet. Now another question I had was with the original Ultramans arrival, he felt bad because he accidentally killed a pilot, so he decided to stick around in the pilots body which was pretty admirable, but now with all these newer Ultramen they seem to just be popping up all over. Are they just mass crushing multiple people by accident? :lol: :lol:, it kinda seems to be turning less into an event and more into a common occurrence.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

_JNavs_ wrote:Now another question I had was with the original Ultramans arrival, he felt bad because he accidentally killed a pilot, so he decided to stick around in the pilots body which was pretty admirable, but now with all these newer Ultramen they seem to just be popping up all over. Are they just mass crushing multiple people by accident? :lol: :lol:, it kinda seems to be turning less into an event and more into a common occurrence.
Well, all of the shows of the past (almost) 6 years have each been separate universes (Excluding Ginga and Ginga S of course), so I guess it's a bit less contrived there. Though their constant creating of new verses that never get revisited is mildly annoying. I do hope that the next show's universe is stuck with for subsequent ones, being the start of a new era and all.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Not sure if I said this before, but I would like to see a future series return to the Tiga/Dyna continuity.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

LegendZilla wrote:Not sure if I said this before, but I would like to see a future series return to the Tiga/Dyna continuity.
Yup, you've said that before, and while I agree it would be cool, I can't see any reason why they would do it, especially with the Heisei series pretty much over. Best case scenario is we'll get a check-in on what's happening the next time Asuka appears like we did in Ultraman Saga.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Not sure if I said this before, but I would like to see a future series return to the Tiga/Dyna continuity.
Yup, you've said that before, and while I agree it would be cool, I can't see any reason why they would do it, especially with the Heisei series pretty much over.[/i].
Yeah, but they decided to have Mebius in the Showa continuity despite it being made in the 21st Century.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

LegendZilla wrote:Yeah, but they decided to have Mebius in the Showa continuity despite it being made in the 21st Century.
But Mebius was made as the 40th anniversary series, and revisits a long-ran, well-established universe (Not to mention was made during a very different time for Tsuburaya). Maybe the next time Tiga celebrates a big anniversary, they'll make a special or maybe even show that returns to the universe, but I just wouldn't get your hopes up, is all.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
LegendZilla wrote:Yeah, but they decided to have Mebius in the Showa continuity despite it being made in the 21st Century.
But Mebius was made as the 40th anniversary series, and revisits a long-ran, well-established universe (Not to mention was made during a very different time for Tsuburaya). Maybe the next time Tiga celebrates a big anniversary, they'll make a special or maybe even show that returns to the universe, but I just wouldn't get your hopes up, is all.
Care to speculate what it be like if they did?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

LegendZilla wrote:Care to speculate what it be like if they did?
I guess they'd have to set it in the future, but not make much of an attempt to look futuristic since Dyna is set 2017 - 2018.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Just Baltan? What about the Dinosaur Tank, Badu, Mefilas, Iron Rocks, and Antlar?

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:[Just Baltan? What about the Dinosaur Tank, Badu, Mefilas, Iron Rocks, and Antlar?
Mephilas was just in R/B, and also appeared in Orb. Badu/Bado cameoed in both Geed and R/B, and while we haven't seen a ton of Antlar, we've seen more of him this past decade than we have of Baltan. I find it weird because Baltan is such an iconic alien, yet we've seen barely anything since Max. Be like if the Daleks haven't appeared since Tennant's run.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Why the hell would anyone want Iron Rocks back? Of all the damn Seven kaiju, Iron Rocks?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote:[Just Baltan? What about the Dinosaur Tank, Badu, Mefilas, Iron Rocks, and Antlar?
Mephilas was just in R/B, and also appeared in Orb. Badu/Bado cameoed in both Geed and R/B, and while we haven't seen a ton of Antlar, we've seen more of him this past decade than we have of Baltan. I find it weird because Baltan is such an iconic alien, yet we've seen barely anything since Max. Be like if the Daleks haven't appeared since Tennant's run.
Geed was so long ago though. However, that's good to hear they show up in R/B. It gives me some encouragement to watch R/B at some point if they ever put the damn thing up on Crunchyroll or something.

As for the Daleks, frankly, I wish they would take a break from them. They're overused.

Added in 23 seconds:
MM Raids Again wrote:Why the hell would anyone want Iron Rocks back? Of all the damn Seven kaiju, Iron Rocks?
Because Iron Rocks rocks!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:Geed was so long ago though.
I mean, little over a year ago, lol, but alright. I am glad to see the Bado back though, and am fine with them making frequent cameos and the like. Their cameo in R/B wad really damn funny.
Kaiju no Kami wrote:As for the Daleks, frankly, I wish they would take a break from them. They're overused.
I agree (and that obviously wasn't a perfect analogy, but you get my point). I guess it DID more or less happen with the Cybermen throughout most of the 70s though. Hell, imagine an Earthshock-style reveal for the Baltans...will never happen though, since TsuPro seems obligated to show off every monster that's going to appear in magazine scans now.
MM Raids Again wrote:Why the hell would anyone want Iron Rocks back? Of all the damn Seven kaiju, Iron Rocks?
If Iron Rocks were to return, I'd be super happy, as with just about any other monster that hasn't been seen since their debut show. Though I'd rather see the likes of Astromons, Gudis, Peguila (Whom Tsuburaya has a perfectly usable suit for), Noislar (Ditto Peguila), Plooma or really any of the TDG monsters (Sans Golza and Gan Q I guess) first. Not that I should get my hopes up (Aside from Peguila and Noislar, maybe).
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Millenial88
Interpol Agent

Post by Millenial88 »

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

It's awful, but I love it nonetheless. The more English Ultra-stuff we get, the better.