Godzilla's Gender: Voice your opinion (and don't be a jerk)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What is your opinion on Godzilla's gender?

I think Godzilla is a male only
65%
I think Godzilla is a male, but I'm fine if he is interpreted as female
10%
I think Godzilla is a female only
1%
I think Godzilla is a female, but I'm fine if she is interpreted as male
1%
I think Godzilla can be interpreted with either gender
10%
I think Godzilla has no gender, only RAGE
12%
Other (please specify)
3%

Total votes: 113

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Re: Godzilla's Gender: Voice your opinion (and don't be a jerk)

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Wasn't Mothra referred to as "he" a lot, though? I always refer to Mothra as "she", but I thought in the Showa era the subtitles always refer to Mothra as a "he".
Was that for Ghidorah, The Three Head Monster? Because I distincly remember them calling the larva a "he" and wasn't sure if it was just Mandela effect.
Then there's Mothra Leo and Battra, whom are the only official males of the Mothra species. But then again, Battra was practically the yin (negative & dark) to Mothra's yang (positive and bright).
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

Grievous wrote:
Maritonic wrote:....proof of kaiju being a hermaphrodite?
I hope we don't get any photographic evidence...

:shock:
I hope we do!
Wait, I mean, yeah. That'd be weird. I don't, I don't want to see that. [cough] Did it just really hot in here?
WHAT ARE YOU ALL LOOKING AT! I'M TOTALLY NORMAL!!!

;)
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Here's my take on the whole gender-flipping concept that has become an ongoing tend in recent years.

While misogyny could be a reason for some people rejecting it, I think it has more to do with fans of the established property not liking change. I like my characters the way I knew them and the way I experienced them, because that's how I knew them when I fell in love with them in the first place. Even cosmetic changes like Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century and the recent Thundercats Roar debacle were completely rejected by me because it isn't what I want these properties and characters to be represented as, and those aren't cases of gender or race flipping. They just radically changed something I was a fan of to the point that I rejected it. I don't want Sherlock Holmes to be a Sci-Fi story and I don't want the Thundercats to look like Adventure Time/Stephen Universe reject Goblins.

Fans just don't like change and changing a gender could essentially turn a character they love into something completely different from what it was when they fell in love with it, so yeah, they probably aren't going to like it.

And on the flip side, people advocating for more representation and such seem to want it just for the sake of having it, which can come across as shallow pandering. Instead of trying to transform something that already exists and risk the ire of the fanbase, why not just create your own thing? Heck, I'm always advocating for new monsters in the Godzilla franchise, and I'd be more than happy to have new female ones enter the fray. And in the past we've had Mothra, a female Rodan in the original film, Biollante, Megaguiras, the Queen MUTO, and I'd even make a case for Spacegodzilla possibly being female (assuming it evolved from Biollante), and I'd be completely fine with more being added.

But, to me, Godzilla is male. The movies call him male. The characters refer to him as a male. And he's called the King of the Monsters. It isn't necessarily a big deal as gender isn't that important to a giant destructive lizard, but I've been referring to Godzilla as a male my whole life, and I don't feel like changing it just to make some people feel more comfortable.
Last edited by GojiDog on Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I think people give too much thought to the gender of a radioactive dinosaur.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maritonic wrote:I think people give too much thought to the gender of a radioactive dinosaur.
Don't speak nonsense now. :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GojiDog wrote:Here's my take on the whole gender-flipping concept that has become an ongoing tend in recent years.

While misogyny could be a reason for some people rejecting it, I think it has more to do with fans of the established property not liking change. I like my characters the way I knew them and the way I experienced them, because that's how I knew them when I fell in love with them in the first place. Even cosmetic changes like Sherlock Holmes in the 22nd Century and the recent Thundercats Roar debacle were completely rejected by me because it isn't what I want these properties and characters to be represented as, and those aren't cases of gender or race flipping. They just radically changed something I was a fan of to the point that I rejected it. I don't want Sherlock Holmes to be a Sci-Fi story and I don't want the Thundercats to look like Adventure Time/Stephen Universe reject Goblins.

Fans just don't like change and changing a gender could essentially turn a character they love into something completely different from what it was when they fell in love with it, so yeah, they probably aren't going to like it.

And on the flip side, people advocating for more representation and such seem to want it just for the sake of having it, which can come across as shallow pandering. Instead of trying to transform something that already exists and risk the ire of the fanbase, why not just create your own thing? Heck, I'm always advocating for new monsters in the Godzilla franchise, and I'd be more than happy to have new female ones enter the fray. And in the past we've had Mothra, a female Rodan in the original film, Biollante, Megaguiras, the Queen MUTO, and I'd even make a case for Spacegodzilla possibly being female (assuming it evolved from Biollante), and I'd be completely fine with more being added.

But, to me, Godzilla is male. The movies call him male. The characters refer to him as a male. And he's called the King of the Monsters. It isn't necessarily a big deal as gender isn't that important to a giant destructive lizard, but I've been referring to Godzilla as a male my whole life, and I don't feel like changing it just to make some people feel more comfortable.
This completely.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira