Godzilla Running

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Godzilla running

Looks Awesome
48%
Looks Stupid
11%
Will improve by the time the film is released
41%

Total votes: 100

Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Godzilla Running

Post by Godzilla21 »

Im with my esteemed colleague goji89. THERES A THREAD FOR THIS??

lol.

I don't care if Godzilla runs. As long as its executed well.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:They're really bad and immature attempts to imply somebody or a group of people are hypocrites. Immaturity is par for the course in this section though...
Well...you're here posting calling people immature & hypocrites...so yes?
Dv-218 wrote:I don't have a problem with it either, but it's always for the best not to add fuel to the fire lol.
Oh...Okay.

*Puts away gasoline*
Titanoterror98 wrote:I'm only here out of masochistic arrogance curiosity.
That's fair I guess.
BARAGONBREH wrote:Still haven't demonstrated me engaging in this "whining and squealing" you speak of.

Why would the movie be ruined for me over one bad scene that, you correctly point out, may not even be in the final cut as seen? Have I made any statement whatsoever saying I will not possibly like or enjoy the movie over that? You just can't seem to help but assume things about my views. It's strange.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Mmmmmmm.... why do people resort to whataboutisms in this thread?
Fantastic question. Not sure at all why Godzilla dancing or gliding on his tail in likeable old Toho movies with a totally different tone = Godzilla the Hedgehog scene looks great. But some people seem to think that is the pinnacle of irrefutable logic somehow. It's quite a mystery.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

BARAGONBREH wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Mmmmmmm.... why do people resort to whataboutisms in this thread?
Fantastic question. Not sure at all why Godzilla dancing or gliding on his tail in likeable old Toho movies with a totally different tone = Godzilla the Hedgehog scene looks great. But some people seem to think that is the pinnacle of irrefutable logic somehow. It's quite a mystery.
Perhaps this quote is to blame, as the poster seems to think that Godzilla running is on-par with tail-sliding
jayson wrote:Imagine Christopher Nolan doing Batman begins with the same script, using the same characters and actors. Now swap Christian Bale out for Adam West in all his full 60's glory... costume and everything. That's my take of how the running scene fits in with the Legendary Godzilla.

He may have done weird and hokey stuff back then, but he shouldn't be doing it now. It's one of the reasons Pacific Rim 2 was just a lame Power Ranger show with unimaginative robots and crappy monsters.
The effects could probably use some touching up and I can understand people being worried that he's moving too fast (like Jayson said, one major criticism against Uprising was that unlike the original it's effects completely disregarded instilling a sense of weight in the Jaegers, so to speak) but I don't see how Godzilla running in and of itself is somehow hokey
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

The point is simple, the only people who are whining about that scene are Godzilla fans, not the general audience. If most people were laughing at that scene or thought it looked terrible due to effects, the Godzilla fans whining about it would certainly have a more valid point...but they don't. And given that it's just Godzilla fans whining, it brings along with it a sincere level of irony (and hilarity) given that the scene they are mocking/criticizing still looks better than the overwhelming majority of the entire franchise...

Last edited by Moogabunga on Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Moogabunga wrote:The point is simple, the only people who are whining about that scene are Godzilla fans, not the general audience. If most people were laughing at that scene or thought it looked terrible due to effects, the Godzilla fans whining about it would certainly have a more valid point...but they don't. And given that it's just Godzilla fans whining, it brings along with it a sincere level of irony (and hilarity) given that the scene they are mocking/criticizing still looks better than the overwhelming majority of the entire franchise...

Hear Hear!
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Its an animal.....animals run. Some less awkward than others, but animals run. Godzilla running whether it be fast or slow is nothing. We can be indifferent to him having atomic breathe and surviving nukes.......but oh Lord dont make Godzilla run it looks bad, guess what people, its a damn animal running at full speed defending itself or its turf. As awjward as it might seem to most its logical and whether the effects showcase this better or not is beside the point.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Moogabunga wrote:The point is simple, the only people who are whining about that scene are Godzilla fans, not the general audience. If most people were laughing at that scene or thought it looked terrible due to effects, the Godzilla fans whining about it would certainly have a more valid point...but they don't. And given that it's just Godzilla fans whining, it brings along with it a sincere level of irony (and hilarity) given that the scene they are mocking/criticizing still looks better than the overwhelming majority of the entire franchise...

So "stop complaining because this and that exists!!!!!!" Why are you assuming all Godzilla fans are a monolith who enjoy Godzilla's tail slide and other cheesy moments? I'm 99% sure every time someone mentions the tail slide it's as an example of how far the series has fallen from the 50's/early 60's or as an ironic "lol this is so cool and epic!!11!!! xD" joke. You don't have to be discount Ryguy and take a shot at something else to deflect criticism lol
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:You don't have to be discount Ryguy and take a shot at something else to deflect criticism lol
Damn. lol

I still think the shot looks fine personally. It is what it is.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

jayson
Samurai

Post by jayson »

G2000 wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:.The effects could probably use some touching up and I can understand people being worried that he's moving too fast (like Jayson said, one major criticism against Uprising was that unlike the original it's effects completely disregarded instilling a sense of weight in the Jaegers, so to speak) but I don't see how Godzilla running in and of itself is somehow hokey
It's not even the speed of the run but more the choice of animation used to execute the run, as there's very little fluidity in Godzillas movement in the sense that he's not running, so much as he's stomping his feet in a rapid pace and bobbing up and down while moving forward. None of it feels or looks like natural movement imo, hence the hokey part. The scene from the first movie where Godzilla is pushing the female MUTO back was done quite well imo, and showed a faster pace even though it wouldn't be considered running. The point being that it was done right before and could be done right again, or you fall back into PR2 territory, where established rules on weight and movement are thrown out.

Furthermore, it seems like only a select few understand the difference between a movie from the later Showa years versus the Legendary universe, and how the tone and execution of said movies are intentionally, vastly different.

As an aside, people that use words like "whining" aren't overly helpful, nor constructive. I know that many people here are kids, so I understand it when these types of words are used in responses as a way of creating "high ground" to stand on debate wise. I imagine a lot of times that I or others that are older, are debating with 11-13 year olds who haven't formed the mental maturity to follow through in a positive manner. This is not meant as an insult, but an observation.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

jayson wrote:
G2000 wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:
It's not even the speed of the run but more the choice of animation used to execute the run, as there's very little fluidity in Godzillas movement in the sense that he's not running, so much as he's stomping his feet in a rapid pace and bobbing up and down while moving forward. None of it feels or looks like natural movement imo, hence the hokey part. The scene from the first movie where Godzilla is pushing the female MUTO back was done quite well imo, and showed a faster pace even though it wouldn't be considered running. The point being that it was done right before and could be done right again, or you fall back into PR2 territory, where established rules on weight and movement are thrown out.

Furthermore, it seems like only a select few understand the difference between a movie from the later Showa years versus the Legendary universe, and how the tone and execution of said movies are intentionally, vastly different.

As an aside, people that use words like "whining" aren't overly helpful, nor constructive. I know that many people here are kids, so I understand it when these types of words are used in responses as a way of creating "high ground" to stand on debate wise. I imagine a lot of times that I or others that are older, are debating with 11-13 year olds who haven't formed the mental maturity to follow through in a positive manner. This is not meant as an insult, but an observation.
THIS

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I know I'll probably sound like a Tinfoil hat guy and i'm sure this was brought up much earlier in the thread but honestly I've watched that trailer over and over, and I really feel like the helicopters shooting and the lightning strike behind Godzillas head are sped up even if ever so slightly in that split second as he speeds up. Likely to match the quick paced tone of the rest of the trailer.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

_JNavs_ wrote:I know I'll probably sound like a Tinfoil hat guy and i'm sure this was brought up much earlier in the thread but honestly I've watched that trailer over and over, and I really feel like the helicopters shooting and the lightning strike behind Godzillas head are sped up even if ever so slightly in that split second as he speeds up. Likely to match the quick paced tone of the rest of the trailer.
Yeah, you probably have that tinfoil hat on too tight lol. I don't see it

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gojira18 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:I know I'll probably sound like a Tinfoil hat guy and i'm sure this was brought up much earlier in the thread but honestly I've watched that trailer over and over, and I really feel like the helicopters shooting and the lightning strike behind Godzillas head are sped up even if ever so slightly in that split second as he speeds up. Likely to match the quick paced tone of the rest of the trailer.
Fair enough lol, Maybe it's just me. I do think it'll be slowed down in post though, I don't see them pulling another PR:Uprising especially with the similar criticisms that film got for it's far too quick pacing.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Jan 26, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
Fair enough lol, Maybe it's just me. I do think it'll be slowed down in post though, I don't see them pulling another PR:Uprising especially with the similar criticisms that film got for it's far too quick pacing.
Idk, Hollywood doesn't have a spotless track record, especially these days. If they can authorize stuff like TLJ and JWFK, anything is possible.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gojira18 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Gojira18 wrote: Yeah, you probably have that tinfoil hat on too tight lol. I don't see it
Idk, Hollywood doesn't have a spotless track record, especially these days. If they can authorize stuff like TLJ and JWFK, anything is possible.
I liked JWFK ngl, liked it better than JP3. I completely get your point with that train wreck of a "Star Wars" in name only film though. But I have trust in Legendary, they're personally my favorite big company making films right now. Disney is corporate greed with a jolly shell incarnate.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Fair enough lol, Maybe it's just me. I do think it'll be slowed down in post though, I don't see them pulling another PR:Uprising especially with the similar criticisms that film got for it's far too quick pacing.
I liked JWFK ngl, liked it better than JP3. I completely get your point with that train wreck of a "Star Wars" in name only film though. But I have trust in Legendary, they're personally my favorite big company making films right now. Disney is corporate greed with a jolly shell incarnate.
Agree to disagree on JWFK then. JP3 is MILES ahead of FK imo. But yeah, TLJ is an abomination. Legendary's probably one of the less greedy movie companies, so my faith isn't TOTALLY destroyed yet lol.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Gojira18 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
Gojira18 wrote: Idk, Hollywood doesn't have a spotless track record, especially these days. If they can authorize stuff like TLJ and JWFK, anything is possible.
Agree to disagree on JWFK then. JP3 is MILES ahead of FK imo. But yeah, TLJ is an abomination. Legendary's probably one of the less greedy movie companies, so my faith isn't TOTALLY destroyed yet lol.
Yeah I mean I'm a big fan of the entire JP franchise, it got less gruesome as of JW but the third act more than made up for it, I liked the tonal switch up in the middle of JWFK, from Adventure to Horror/Suspense. TLJ like you said is a complete disaster I have no clue how they fumbled the ball so badly. Legendary has been great to me so far, Pacific Rim/G14/K:SI, Detective Pikachu seems nostalgically good, plus G19 and GvK in 2020... Man, They have my full attention.

Gojira18
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira18 »

_JNavs_ wrote:
Gojira18 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: I liked JWFK ngl, liked it better than JP3. I completely get your point with that train wreck of a "Star Wars" in name only film though. But I have trust in Legendary, they're personally my favorite big company making films right now. Disney is corporate greed with a jolly shell incarnate.
Yeah I mean I'm a big fan of the entire JP franchise, it got less gruesome as of JW but the third act more than made up for it, I liked the tonal switch up in the middle of JWFK, from Adventure to Horror/Suspense. TLJ like you said is a complete disaster I have no clue how they fumbled the ball so badly. Legendary has been great to me so far, Pacific Rim/G14/K:SI, Detective Pikachu seems nostalgically good, plus G19 and GvK in 2020... Man, They have my full attention.
That and the MCU is still going strong. Endgame and KOTM are at the top of my Hype List

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I love how one, second long scene is enough for people to start thinking the movie will be awful.
You know, completely ignoring everything else we saw so far.

This thread is a fucking blessing, I haven't laughed like that in years :lol:

(But seriously, the shot is 100% sped up. The lighting clearly gives it away).
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.