Ghostbusters General Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

Favorite Ghostbusters Movie

Ghostbusters (1986)
85%
Ghostbusters 2
7%
Ghostbusters (2016)
7%

Total votes: 55

kingkevzilla88
Interpol Agent

Re: Ghostbusters General Thread

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:52 pm

Well that was something. Leslie Jones is a very arrogant and unpleasant person, if that's how she acts.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:02 pm

eabaker wrote:A casting agenda, singular? Universal?

Every narrative movie's casting is done according an agenda. Every aspect of the production of every narrative movie follows an agenda.

When a studio's money is involved, right at the top of that agenda, for every department, is: Ensure as many people as possible buy tickets to see this movie.

It doesn't always work, but that's always the goal.

'A' as in each denial involves refuting one. :) Much as if I had said 'every time I see you, you're shooting down a conspiracy.' Not that there's a singular mono-conspiracy, but that each time, you would be shooting down a different one.

Actually, I do agree with you in regards to the studios. They're just out to make money.

I do think there is an (absurd) cultural agenda at play in some quarters; there are too many derisive complaints of 'Oh, just another white male lead' or 'not enough [insert minority here]' in reactions to film for there not to be some sort of standard of 'correct' demographics to which some people are comparing... but that standard doesn't belong to the studios. If anything, they may cater to that apparent standard on the assumption it will draw in the maximum number of crowds... but the studios don't generate those standards or concepts of what a film 'has' to have. They just try to appeal to what standards are already there. (And not every casting choice reflects some sort of appeal to that standard, either).

Studios are out to capitalize on what's popular or desired. Not everyone has the same desires or attitudes, so sometimes, they cater to a specific group's standards for what ought to be onscreen and it rubs another the wrong way. And sometimes, what's popular is universally popular enough that capitalizing on it doesn't raise any eyebrows.
Last edited by Zarm on Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

Winner of the last-ever(?) TK Fantasy Match tournament.

#ProLife

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

kingkevzilla88
Interpol Agent

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:22 pm

There's an article up on Forbes now, blaming this new Star wars movies for this new Ghostbusters film. Yes, it is one of the smuggest things I've ever seen.

I'm not linking to it, as it might cause brain damage it you read it.

Kaiju-King42
Kwaidan

Postby Kaiju-King42 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:29 pm

I'm starting to retroactively hate the entire Ghostbusters franchise now...

Can we *please* stop this stupid debate? I thought this was over and done with in 2016.
Last edited by Kaiju-King42 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Godzillian wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:What is up with the American trope of hide the monster?

Jaws happened

ernesth100 wrote:
Ryguy wrote:When the new director is announced, I guarantee this fanbase will be torn through the middle...

We're always split down the middle. TK is like a giant buttcrack.

Anno wrote:never forget tadpole :godzilla:

ROMG4
Interpol Agent

Postby ROMG4 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:48 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I'm starting to retroactively hate the entire Ghostbusters franchise now...

Can we *please* stop this stupid debate? I thought this was over and done with in 2016.

Stop reading idiotic articles and putting idiotic ideas and content into your brain

Believe me your mental state and actual enjoyment of everything will greatly improve if you STOP GOING TO THOSE SITES and reading opinion pieces by people that can't do real journalism

When you get bored search youtube for stuff, anything it'll remove the boredom and desire to go check them out
Last edited by ROMG4 on Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:44 pm

kingkevzilla88 wrote:

Well that was something. Leslie Jones is a very arrogant and unpleasant person, if that's how she acts.

And not only that, but Paul Feig has actually been defending her. Good luck finding work anytime soon, and Paul Feig's future movies will no doubt take a hit after remembering what a douche this guy has been towards GB fans (or moviegoers in general), calling people ists of every shape and color because, ZOMG, they disliked the shitty GhostBusters reboot. #GetWokeGoBroke

RedLetterMedia made a vid (which I posted on the last page) debunking this whole sexist/misogynist theory, but yet here they are, STILL claiming it didn't get a fair shake because of those evil sexists/misogynists hating on the film for starring women. Nevermind that it cost Sony $60-80 mil because it tanked so bad, can't blame em for wanting to distance themselves from that monstrosity and create a new film in the original universe.

Hell, it has bad audience scores on pretty much all the aggregate review sites (and even after all the review-bombing, it still rounded out to a measly 5.2 on IMDb... 2 years later), gee, maybe it's because they made an objectively bad, unfunny movie. Even a lot of the so-called "fresh" reviewers on RT didn't really like it as the RLM vid also pointed out. Sony's also been caught faking reviews in the past (just like Fox faked glowing reviews for Fant4shit, which I pointed out in its respective thread), that was also in the RLM vid.
Last edited by KManX89 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Jan 26, 2019 1:56 pm

I'll never forget the backlash that poor James Rolfe received for his video on the film. His refusal to see the movie was targeted more at the terrible corporate cash grab mentality and the awful timing (being released two years after Harold Ramis had passed) than anything to do with the actors. Yet people tore him a new skreeonking asshole over politely doing the sensible thing and just not giving the movie his thoughts. He just didn't want to see it and he was vilified for that.

KManX89
G-Grasper

Postby KManX89 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:04 pm

Kaiju-King42 wrote:I'm starting to retroactively hate the entire Ghostbusters franchise now...

Well, maybe if MM, Leslie Jones and Paul Feig didn't CONTINUE to make it about sexism 3 years later, we wouldn't still be talking about it, but they keep making it a point of contention 3 years later, so we'll continue to slam them for it.

The RLM vid I mentioned/posted a page back already debunked this, yet they still insist on making this a spiel against the wyminz. It's doing them no favors with future movies, I mean, good luck to Leslie Jones finding new work any time soon after this and people will remember Paul Feig made (and is STILL making to this day) these comments slamming/guilting people as sexist for not liking the 2016 movie and hurt the box office returns for his future movies. Remember that the internet forgets nothing, dude (get woke, go broke).
Last edited by KManX89 on Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.
My Game Ideas Page

~"Now I Am Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Jan 26, 2019 3:50 pm

Is there an echo in here?

Rhedosaurus
Interpol Agent

Postby Rhedosaurus » Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:22 am

Here's an interesting You Tube video about GB3 and the controversy.

Return to “Monster Manor”