Directors you want to see in the MonsterVerse

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Re: Directors you want to see in the MonsterVerse

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

We need Matt Reeves for a MonsterVerse movie. In fact he or Dougherty are who should had been the director of the 2014 Godzilla film.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

For a second I thought the title was 'Dictators you want to see in the MonsterVerse'. I was going to say Kim-Jong Il, if he were still alive, but I see I mis-read.

Same answer.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:We need Matt Reeves for a MonsterVerse movie. In fact he or Dougherty are who should had been the director of the 2014 Godzilla film.
Matt Reeves would make an iconic King Kong film, maybe even bring Serkis back for a kaiju role?
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:Matt Reeves would make an iconic King Kong film, maybe even bring Serkis back for a kaiju role?
If not Jordan Vogt-Roberts again. Matt Reeves should be the director of a Kong sequel.

Troyal1
Interpol Agent

Post by Troyal1 »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:We need Matt Reeves for a MonsterVerse movie. In fact he or Dougherty are who should had been the director of the 2014 Godzilla film.
Came to say this. Reeves proved he can make a 10/10 monster flick with Cloverfield imo.

Also Alfonso Cuaron. Love the guy. He can put a unique spin on anything he touches

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Sam Rami would be a great choice

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Godzillian wrote:Sam Rami would be a great choice
Every time a monster would appear it would cut to a shot of a woman screaming into the camera.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Xx_The_Masquerade_xX
Futurian

Post by Xx_The_Masquerade_xX »

I was one of the few screaming for Doughtery to be the director prior to Gareth Edward's announcement for Godzilla 2014. So I 100% agree with this. Matt Reeves would make a fine monster film despite me not being a big fan of Cloverfield. I do love ''Let me in'' and his planet of the apes films so I have no complaints.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

XxComablack1937xX wrote:I was one of the few screaming for Doughtery to be the director prior to Gareth Edward's announcement for Godzilla 2014. So I 100% agree with this. Matt Reeves would make a fine monster film despite me not being a big fan of Cloverfield. I do love ''Let me in'' and his planet of the apes films so I have no complaints.
It really should had been him in all honestly IMO.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Godzillian wrote:Sam Rami would be a great choice
"Ah Rosie, I love this boy." Sam Raimi..... he is one of a kind.
Dr. Professor wrote: Every time a monster would appear it would cut to a shot of a woman screaming into the camera.
He would give the monsters personality like no other, I mean he made Green Goblin and Doc Ock some of the most memorable villains of all time, because of a great script and direction. Heck, Sam Raimi's "cheesy" style is great at capturing certain elements, like I legitimately can see him pulling off Godzilla doing some more out there stuff in this day and age, like boulder tossing!
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

J.A. Bayona. Before people hold JW:FK against him, that wasn't his fault. His power was very limited because Colin Trevorrow wanted a more bombastic tone and ruined his vision. I'd like to see him make a Godzilla/ giant monster movie and see how it turns out.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Everybody has their own opinion on Zack Snyder, but I personally loved what he's done with BvS, MOS and Watchmen. I think he could pull off a really mean Kaiju film. He has an eye for scale and does wonders with his Cinematographer (Clay Enos I believe). Plus his special effects are off the chain. Say what you will but his plots often have deep ideologies with shallow characterization, which works for monster films.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:Everybody has their own opinion on Zack Snyder, but I personally loved what he's done with BvS, MOS and Watchmen. I think he could pull off a really mean Kaiju film. He has an eye for scale and does wonders with his Cinematographer (Clay Enos I believe). Plus his special effects are off the chain. Say what you will but his plots often have deep ideologies with shallow characterization, which works for monster films.
Oh skreeonk no! Keep that hack away from my MonsterVerse! :mad:
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:Everybody has their own opinion on Zack Snyder, but I personally loved what he's done with BvS, MOS and Watchmen. I think he could pull off a really mean Kaiju film. He has an eye for scale and does wonders with his Cinematographer (Clay Enos I believe). Plus his special effects are off the chain. Say what you will but his plots often have deep ideologies with shallow characterization, which works for monster films.
Oh skreeonk no! Keep that hack away from my MonsterVerse! :mad:
He has the visual side down packed, God-like ideals and his shallow characterizations basically sum up all kaiju film characters :lol: :lol: Plus like I said, Clay Enos is too nice with the camera
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:He has the visual side down packed, God-like ideals and his shallow characterizations basically sum up all kaiju film characters :lol: :lol: Plus like I said, Clay Enos is too nice with the camera
Still don't want him touching the MonsterVerse with a 100 meter long pole especially after what he did that doomed the DCEU. Good visuals and camera work or not.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:54 pm, edited 4 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:He has the visual side down packed, God-like ideals and his shallow characterizations basically sum up all kaiju film characters :lol: :lol: Plus like I said, Clay Enos is too nice with the camera
Still don't want him touching the MonsterVerse with a 100 meter long pole especially after what he did that doomed the DCEU. Good visuals and camera work or not.
You didn't like MoS? Idk I liked the modern realistic take on the invincible blue Boy Scout. Bats was a beast and I understood him killing indirectly since Robins death. JL was a disaster but his film was much different than Joss Whedons hot mess of jokes and bright colors.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:You didn't like MoS? Idk I liked the modern realistic take on the invincible blue Boy Scout. Bats was a beast and I understood him killing indirectly since Robins death. JL was a disaster but his film was much different than Joss Whedons hot mess of jokes and bright colors.
No I did not because they turned who is suppose to be the Symbol of Peace into this gloomy emo downer which Superman is not suppose to be.

They also turned Batman into Bat Punisher.

And that's just scratching the surface of the problems with the DCEU especially including how they were trying to rush to catch up to where the MCU was rather then take their time.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:You didn't like MoS? Idk I liked the modern realistic take on the invincible blue Boy Scout. Bats was a beast and I understood him killing indirectly since Robins death. JL was a disaster but his film was much different than Joss Whedons hot mess of jokes and bright colors.
No I did not because they turned who is suppose to be the Symbol of Peace into this gloomy emo downer which Superman is not suppose to be.

They also turned Batman into Bat Punisher.

And that's just scratching the surface of the problems with the DCEU especially including how they were trying to rush to catch up to where the MCU was rather then take their time.
I saw it more as Superman being conflicted on his place in the universe, Like questioning who is he to play hero? If the people don't want him, why should he try? By JL I'm sure Zack Snyder would've had Superman come back MUCH differently than what Joss Whedon had in mind.

Batman really didn't kill anyone directly, it was more like a Batman Begins Ra's al Ghul situation, where he indirectly causes their death but it's not HIS fault. Such as the one dude that tried to grab a grenade, that was HIS decision not Batmans.

I didn't see it as rushing as much as it seemed like they were trying something different, team up stories that led to solo films. But JL definitely felt rushed and developed into a mess due to 2 completely different minds working on the film.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

_JNavs_ wrote:I saw it more as Superman being conflicted on his place in the universe, Like questioning who is he to play hero? If the people don't want him, why should he try? By JL I'm sure Zack Snyder would've had Superman come back MUCH differently than what Joss Whedon had in mind.

Batman really didn't kill anyone directly, it was more like a Batman begins Morale, where he indirectly causes their death but it's not HIS fault. Such as the one dude that tried to grab a grenade, that was HIS decision not Batmans.

I didn't see it as rushing as much as it seemed like they were trying something different, team up stories that led to solo films. But JL definitely felt rushed and developed into a mess due to 2 completely different minds working on the film.
Agree to disagree then. May as well drop it since this isn't the thread for it.

Added in 26 days 10 hours 2 minutes 23 seconds:
Since I mentioned it in other thread.

Matt Reeves to direct a Beast from 20,000 Fathoms remake.

Given his great film track record and doing a giant monster movie in New York. He's fit for the role.

NBG2
Samurai

Post by NBG2 »

Michael Bay or Rian Johnson, so we never get the opportunity again.