Is Zone Fighter canon to the Showa era?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Is Zone Fighter canon to the Showa era?

Post by Zarm »

HillyHulk wrote:Possibly since it is clearly after Terror of Mechagodzilla given the suit used in the series, indicating it's somewhere between that film and Destroy All Monsters.
Well, I mean- it was actually made right after vs. Megalon (in 1973), and before vs. MechaGodzilla, so I'd assume the suit was the correct one for that era, too.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

GigaBowserG wrote:
Grievous wrote:*Looks Around*

So...what's Zone Fighter actually like?

It looks fun from the small amount of clips I've seen.
It's incredibly goofy at times, but it's an entertaining little series. There's an English translation in the works, so I'd recommend waiting for that to finish if you want to check an episode or two.
So...its like the 70's Godzilla films?

Because if so then I AM THERE!

:thumbsup:
Last edited by Grievous on Tue Jan 15, 2019 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

It’s like if Godzilla vs. Megalon fucked Ultraman.
Only problem is the budget is lower than both.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:It’s like if Godzilla vs. Megalon skreeonked Ultraman.
Only problem is the budget is lower than both.
Sounds fun to me!
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

ABB Gamma
GPN Volunteer

Post by ABB Gamma »

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

There is no such thing as ''canon'' when it comes to the Showa era.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

KaijusHunter wrote:There is no such thing as ''canon'' when it comes to the Showa era.
I think that's a fairly controversial opinion here but I agree, especially when events from any movie have no lasting importance elsewhere. Narrative continuity is one of the least important things about these movies (and Zone) for me.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

But again, 'canon' and 'continuity' are two separate concepts. A canon is merely a list of works considered official within a series.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Zarm wrote:But again, 'canon' and 'continuity' are two separate concepts. A canon is merely a list of works considered official within a series.
Exactly. All the showa Godzilla films, plus Rodan and Mothra, and likely plus Zone Fighter, are 'canon' to the showa Godzilla series. In regards to continuity - I think the more accurate thing to say, rather than that it does not exist, is that it was approached with a different attitude of the filmmakers, where discrepancies don't matter so much, and neither do tieing things so tightly together. It doesn't mean that, for example, when you watch Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster, it is out of continuity with Astro-Monster because you didn't see how Godzilla ended up in that cave - it means that Toho just didn't feel that was a question anyone cared about answering, or would think too hard about.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Zarm wrote:But again, 'canon' and 'continuity' are two separate concepts. A canon is merely a list of works considered official within a series.
True, but I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm interested in most of these movies whether they're "officially" part of a series or not. I don't need Zone to officially be part of the Godzilla series for it to pique my interest. I'm interested because it's a Toho production from the '70s with Godzilla and Ghidorah and Gigan. The key for me is that it's produced by Toho. It's the same reason I'm going to seek out Conflagration (1975) or Monkey Sun (1959) or any other Toho movie regardless of its connection to the Godzilla films.

Actually I suppose I'm interested in a different sort of canon, in this case a canon of Toho films produced from ~1950 to ~1980. So maybe this a moot point and I've wasted everyone's time here. Have a good afternoon fellas.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

KaijusHunter
Samurai

Post by KaijusHunter »

Terasawa wrote:Actually I suppose I'm interested in a different sort of canon, in this case a canon of Toho films produced from ~1950 to ~1980. So maybe this a moot point and I've wasted everyone's time here. Have a good afternoon fellas.
Same for me. In my opinion, the movies from this period are the most interesting and polished.
Starting with the original ''Godzilla to the last movies with Teruyoshi Nakano as special effects director, is one big universe of stories. I much prefer to see it that way than to concentrate on continuity issues and ''canon''.
“For the next 30 minutes, you'll experience a parting of mind from body and become swallowed into this mysterious time.”

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I think it's up to the viewer. There are no glaring plots holes in Zone Fighter or the later Showa films that prevent it from being included. If someone wants it to be canon, why not

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

If Toho actually does consider Zone Fighter to be part of the Showa Godzilla timeline, then it is canon.
Personally I prefer Zone Fighter to be canon to the Showa Godzilla continuity for all the good feats it gives Showa G & Ghidorah, as well as closure on what happened to Gigan.

The wiki page does have a Sci-fi japan article link from November 14th 2009, in which it reads that Zone "reportedly" takes place between Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla.
Wikizilla's page links to the same article:
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009 ... ies-guide/

I'm inclined to believe Zone is part of the Showa timeline, since it doesn't really contradict anything established before, and adds to the Showa series by:
* Giving Showa Godzilla the strength to throw 80,000+ ton monsters, as apposed to only 40k ton monsters in the films alone.
* Showing King Ghidorah holding his own against a 55,000 ton Zone fighter, evidence that contradicts the notion that Showa Ghiddy is weak.
* Giving us the closest we may ever get to an Ultraman & Godzilla crossover.
* OG Gigan's demise.
* Zone fighter's interesting powers like the meteor missiles and teleporting through a TV broadcast.
Never forget the Showa Era, R.I.P, Haruo Nakajima 8/7/2017. :g64:
Extra THICC!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Billzilla1974 wrote:If Toho actually does consider Zone Fighter to be part of the Showa Godzilla timeline, then it is canon.
Personally I prefer Zone Fighter to be canon to the Showa Godzilla continuity for all the good feats it gives Showa G & Ghidorah, as well as closure on what happened to Gigan.

The wiki page does have a Sci-fi japan article link from November 14th 2009, in which it reads that Zone "reportedly" takes place between Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla vs MechaGodzilla.
Wikizilla's page links to the same article:
http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009 ... ies-guide/

I'm inclined to believe Zone is part of the Showa timeline, since it doesn't really contradict anything established before, and adds to the Showa series by:
* Giving Showa Godzilla the strength to throw 80,000+ ton monsters, as apposed to only 40k ton monsters in the films alone.
* Showing King Ghidorah holding his own against a 55,000 ton Zone fighter, evidence that contradicts the notion that Showa Ghiddy is weak.
* Giving us the closest we may ever get to an Ultraman & Godzilla crossover.
* OG Gigan's demise.
* Zone fighter's interesting powers like the meteor missiles and teleporting through a TV broadcast.
Also, the addition of Zone Fighter as a henshin-hero trope really fills out the Showa continuity as the most complete of all kaiju universes. Just a kitchen sink of dark atomic metaphors, alien invasions, epic monster battles and military confrontations, and giant superheroes. What's not to love about that, eh?
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

^ Not to mention all the other crazy films that people count as expanded universe. Showa's got it all.

Anywho, I always headcanoned the explaination for Godzilla and Zone Fighter was some Gargoa monster attacked and injured Godzilla, Zone saved him and beat the monster, and Godzilla's been healing in that cave/helping Zone. That's also the reason why Godzilla's hanging around Tokyo in the Mechagodzilla films instead of being on Monster Island.

Added in 2 minutes 34 seconds:
though, it does make me wonder where Zone Fighter would be during the Mechagodzilla films. He was working with Godzila and would probably notice a ramapaging "Godzilla". He'd probably try and stop him as well. I'd love to see that: Zone Fighter taking on Fake Godzilla/Mechagodzilla. Mechagodzilla would probably beat the shit out of-

wait.

:shock: Oh dear.

RIP Evan.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:^ Not to mention all the other crazy films that people count as expanded universe. Showa's got it all.

Anywho, I always headcanoned the explaination for Godzilla and Zone Fighter was some Gargoa monster attacked and injured Godzilla, Zone saved him and beat the monster, and Godzilla's been healing in that cave/helping Zone. That's also the reason why Godzilla's hanging around Tokyo in the Mechagodzilla films instead of being on Monster Island.
I like it!

Also, it would be hilarious if, as many assume, the Garogas were somehow defeated and Zone left between the end of the series and vs. MechaGodzilla... and he forgot to tell Godzilla. So Godzilla's just sitting there in his cave, waiting for the summons that will never come, when he hears some commotion at the refinery that was built above where his secret, accessible-only-from-underwater seaside cave resides... :)

Maranatha!

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Alternatively, Godzilla might've stayed in Japan because he assumed his fellow monsters would flee to Japan after the destruction of Monster island in the intro of Godzilla vs Megalon.

My belief is that the only reason Zone fighter wouldn't return is because he might've died during or shortly after his last confrontation with the Garogas. Zone and his family probably succeeded in wiping out the Garogas (assuming Ghidorah didn't wipe out the Garoga home-world after being released from their mind control.) but died in a final act to protect the Earth.

It's also possible that even if they survived the Garogas, the Zone family could've been targeted and assassinated by the Black Hole Planet 3 aliens.
Extra THICC!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

The Garoga Star People are a vast empire; maybe the Zone Family took the fight to them...

(Death may be more realistic, I'm just a sucker for happy endings).

Maranatha!

Billzilla1974
Interpol Agent

Post by Billzilla1974 »

Zarm wrote:The Garoga Star People are a vast empire; maybe the Zone Family took the fight to them...

(Death may be more realistic, I'm just a sucker for happy endings).
That's also a possibility, I actually forgot that the Garoga are a galactic empire, not restricted to their home planet.
Maybe Zone Fighter felt that Godzilla and the other earth monsters could handle any Garoga that were left after he stopped Grotogauros.
Extra THICC!

KaijuKing1998
Young Farmer

Post by KaijuKing1998 »

According to Wikizilla its cannon. Taking place between Megalon and Mechagodzilla. But I wonder where Zone Fighter was during Destroy all Monsters. :freak: