Godzilla's Gender: Voice your opinion (and don't be a jerk)

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

What is your opinion on Godzilla's gender?

I think Godzilla is a male only
65%
I think Godzilla is a male, but I'm fine if he is interpreted as female
10%
I think Godzilla is a female only
1%
I think Godzilla is a female, but I'm fine if she is interpreted as male
1%
I think Godzilla can be interpreted with either gender
10%
I think Godzilla has no gender, only RAGE
12%
Other (please specify)
3%

Total votes: 113

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Godzilla's Gender: Voice your opinion (and don't be a jerk)

Post by Vatarian »

Lizard

Breakdown
Keizer

Post by Breakdown »

I'd be absolutely open to seeing a female member of Godzilla's species. That is completely uncharted territory and could be potentially interesting.
ImageImage
Every rose has it's thorns

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Actually, technically Godzilland has a female member of Godzilla's species, Gojirin. So I think that should be the definite answer since it clearly shows that Godzilla is male. :lol:
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Breakdown wrote:I'd be absolutely open to seeing a female member of Godzilla's species. That is completely uncharted territory and could be potentially interesting.
We'd have to make her differently then Godzilla. And I have a few ideas.

1. ALL male Godzilla's-I.E. Godzilla himself-have plates and explain that they were originally used for display. Female won't have any, or will have much smaller ones. Basically a form of sexual dimorphism

2. Males are also sightly larger overalls, but female are sometimes a bit longer. This is also a form of sexual dimorphism.

3. Males have a more powerful death ray, but more often then not, they have to charge up a bit. Females have a slightly less powerful death ray, but they don't need to charge.

Vatarian
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Vatarian »

Rhedosaurus wrote:
Breakdown wrote:I'd be absolutely open to seeing a female member of Godzilla's species. That is completely uncharted territory and could be potentially interesting.

1. ALL male Godzilla's-I.E. Godzilla himself-have plates and explain that they were originally used for display. Female won't have any, or will have much smaller ones. Basically a form of sexual dimorphism

2. Males are also sightly larger overalls, but female are sometimes a bit longer. This is also a form of sexual dimorphism.

3. Males have a more powerful death ray, but more often then not, they have to charge up a bit. Females have a slightly less powerful death ray, but they don't need to charge.
Really determined for the female to be smaller and weaker, huh?

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Vatarian wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:

Really determined for the female to be smaller and weaker, huh?
Not at all, the females would be just as durable as the males and they would actually be slightly better close combat fighters.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Funilly enough, I actually half-jokingly once thought the Legendary Godzilla could be female.

But on the subject, the films use male pronouns and teat Godzilla as male, so I think he's male, but any other interpretation is ok with me Though personally, I think "only rage" is more appropriate. :lol:
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Evan.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Rhedosaurus wrote:Not at all, the females would be just as durable as the males and they would actually be slightly better close combat fighters.
Would the females be a different color?
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Grievous wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:Not at all, the females would be just as durable as the males and they would actually be slightly better close combat fighters.
Yes. As well as having heart shaped spines.

Resized Image

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

SpaceG92 wrote:Yes. As well as having heart shaped spines.

Resized Image
HA!
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

They very clearly refer to him as a "He" throughout most of the films, he is Minilla/Godzilla Jr's father, and his title is "King" of the Monsters. Not Queen. He's not called Minilla/Godzilla Jr's mother. So it seems pretty obvious to me.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Rhedosaurus wrote:

The differences listed are all very natural. Males animals are often larger and more armed or ornate than the females so that they can attract a female and compete with other males. This doesn't mean the females are weak, though. The kick of a female giraffe will kill a lion as effectively as a male kick would.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

SpaceG92 wrote:
Grievous wrote:
Yes. As well as having heart shaped spines.

Resized Image
If Godzilly ever shows up in a live action film...just...lol!
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Noooooooo! No pink Godzillas!
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

I tend to look at incarnations like Godzilla ‘54, Spacegodzilla, and GMK as asexual. The others I tend to view as male, whether it be because of their contrast to the blatantly feminine Mothra/Megaguirus, their tough love treatment of their offspring (Showa and Heisei), or the deliberate... you know, imagery... of opponents like Hedorah, Biollante, and Orga. Godzilla generally has a masculine role in these films, so it just seems more thematically appropriate to view him as male.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

I don't view these kaiju as monsters or genders, I view them as elemental gods or humanity's arrogance.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

LockBite
JXSDF Technician

Post by LockBite »

GodzillaBurgh wrote:I don't view these kaiju as monsters or genders, I view them as elemental gods or humanity's arrogance.
Some of them definitely have genders though. We can pretty much say for sure Kong is male by his chest. Mothra is obviously female. The initial Rodans were a mating pair. The Gargantuas are stated to be males. So while their gender is often irrelevant, it’s still fun to speculate.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

LockBite wrote: We can pretty much say for sure Kong is male by his chest.
Yeah, and well you know, he went after Ann in several films and had a honeymoon with Lady Kong in King Kong Lives. I do agree though.

I view every Godzilla as male, I mean honestly it's a given. It's not a convoluted idea like the plot of Godzilla vs King Ghidorah. Godzilla has masculine traits, has directly been called "Papa Godzilla", every other form of media such as Godzilland and old games from the 80's go the length to make a distinction between Godzilla himself and female members of his kind. Even weird incarnations such as Shin should be no different since just like any other Godzilla, Shin started off as a "normal" animal. Godzilla Earth is referred to as "King of the Monsters" (a title that has stuck around since the American version of '54), and Godzilla Earth as a beard of all things and a manly six-pack.
Oh, and Godzilla has been called a "bastard" about 405 times in the 21st century :P ;)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Wasn't Mothra referred to as "he" a lot, though? I always refer to Mothra as "she", but I thought in the Showa era the subtitles always refer to Mothra as a "he".
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Maritonic wrote:Wasn't Mothra referred to as "he" a lot, though? I always refer to Mothra as "she", but I thought in the Showa era the subtitles always refer to Mothra as a "he".
Was that for Ghidorah, The Three Head Monster? Because I distincly remember them calling the larva a "he" and wasn't sure if it was just Mandela effect.

RIP Evan.