Beasts of the Mesozoic, Jurassic World, & other Dinosaurs thread!

General discussion for all non-Toho, non-Kaiju collectibles!
MandaSaurus
Sazer

Re: Beasts of the Mesozoic, Jurassic World, & other Dinosaurs thread!

Post by MandaSaurus »

A pic of Mattel's Indominus Rex has appeared on YT. It came off the Collecting Jurassic site, supposedly. It's a frontal/face shot, but it looks pretty good, from what can be seen...

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Here's the pic of the figure, shown off at Hong Kong Toys and Games Fair.

Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ Bingo! That's it! Thanks, Birdman. Nobody on YT even knew what event/exhibit the photo was from...

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Ehhh.... I'm not a particularly huge fan of Indominus or hybrids in general, but then I don't dislike her, either... And I'd feel kind of stupid owning an Indoraptor without having its predecessor, too... I guess I'll see how the full figure turns out and go from there.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

The big Hasbro Indominus Rex left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. I had one - and then returned it to the store. The damn thing couldn't even stand up on it's own! The Mattel I-Rex will make right the big wrong that was the Hasbro version. I'm sure that I'll be picking one up...

FYI, the new Indominus will be part of the regular line-up. It won't be part of the Battle Damage or Legacy Collections. So, no worries that I-Rexy was gonna be Spino 2, or some such shite...
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

The new stuff is finally trickling into my Walmart. I do like the Albertasaurus up close, ugly battle damage aside, and will likely be getting one soon. The Styracosaurus and its wave were also present, but I'm thinking I might just skip it. It's a beautiful figure overall, but clearly a good bit smaller than it should be, and that's going to bug me just enough. It really shouldn't, given that my collection is hardly perfectly scaled as it is, but here we are. Something had to get the axe, anyway, given how many freaking toys I plan to buy this year...

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ Yah, the Styracosaurus should have been a bit bigger, but it still looks good. Add a half inch of height at the shoulder and flesh the rest out accordingly, and it would've been perfect. Some bozo said that it is no bigger than the Protoceratops, and that's NOT true...

Just saw a strange thing at my Wal-Mart. Savage Strikes: Two Velociraptor Blue, Two Stiggies, Two Monolophosaurus. Is there a casepack going around without a Styracosaurus? :eh:
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Parasaurolophus and Concavenator sighted at Walmart! When I'm broke, of course, like always. Not too thrilled with the Para's eyes, but it's a nice enough figure overall, and I'll most likely get one, not least because I want to do my part to encourage more hadrosaurs out of this line. The Conca is great, very different and standout among the therapods. Nice color scheme, too. That one is a definite buy once I get paid.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

^ Yah, after Parasaurolophus, Corythosaurus and Lambeosaurus would be good choices...

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Tsintaosaurus would be a solid choice, too, with its unusual crest. Iguanodon and Ouranosaurus (not technically hadrosaurs, but close) have the thumb spikes and sail going for them. I'd also like Edmontosaurus and Maiasaura, but I don't know how likely they are, being comparatively bland.

On a distantly related note, I'd also love to see a dryosaurus or one of its relatives in this line, or one of the movies, for that matter. They featured pretty prominently in the original novel and Operation Genesis, so it'd be nice for them to get some recognition in toy form.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

JAGzilla wrote:They had several Mosasaurs, too... I was initially solidly against buying that monster, but that was before I became helplessly addicted to this line, and the idea is slowly growing on me.
The Mosasaurus is one of the must-have figures in the whole series, if you ask me; it's a ton of fun to hold and have around, due to its size and texture.
MandaSaurus wrote:The big Hasbro Indominus Rex left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths. I had one - and then returned it to the store. The damn thing couldn't even stand up on it's own! The Mattel I-Rex will make right the big wrong that was the Hasbro version. I'm sure that I'll be picking one up...

FYI, the new Indominus will be part of the regular line-up. It won't be part of the Battle Damage or Legacy Collections. So, no worries that I-Rexy was gonna be Spino 2, or some such shite...
I'm still much too bitter about Spinosaurus to even pretend I care about Indominus; frankly Indominus is hardly as memorable as Spino in look or sound, anyway.

I haven't been buying any more of Mattel's figures for a while now - between being salty about Spino and running out of space - but some of these new figures are looking pretty good. Para, Draco, and Alberto all look like they'd be good purchases. I'm still anticipating the Brachiosaur, too (ironically, considering my space problem).

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I feel like the Brachiosaurus is the kind of thing you make some damn space for, you know? :lol: Like, this is a true icon of the Jurassic franchise, in full, glorious scale for the first time. I'm a little concerned that I might not have enough clearance between the tops of my shelves (where the JP stuff is kept) and the ceiling, but that's not going to stop me if this thing turns out like I hope it will. I'll figure something out.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

JAGzilla wrote:I feel like the Brachiosaurus is the kind of thing you make some damn space for, you know? :lol: Like, this is a true icon of the Jurassic franchise, in full, glorious scale for the first time. I'm a little concerned that I might not have enough clearance between the tops of my shelves (where the JP stuff is kept) and the ceiling, but that's not going to stop me if this thing turns out like I hope it will. I'll figure something out.
Damn straight. The Brachio SHOULD be something that is so good that you can fit it SOMEwhere...

I've seen my second Styraco in the wild - the horns leave something to be desired, paint-wise. The one I have has a small reddish/brown smoodge on it's beak. I plan on picking up some light grey acrylic and a small brush to remedy these problems...

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^^Honestly, the Brachiosaurus will be going on the floor, with my Mosasaur, EC T.rex, Jakks Godzilla and Lanard Kong. A figure this big doesn't even need a display shelf - I couldn't fit that kind of shelf in my room, anyway. :lol:

Meanwhile, in other (belated) dinosaur news, last month David Silva posted an update for Beasts of the Mezozoic:
"***BIG NEWS***
Hope you all had a great holiday this past week! As we bid farewell to 2018, a year that saw the official release of the first Beasts of the Mesozoic action figures, I have a big announcement to make regarding next year's Kickstarter.
To this point, many of you know that the plan has been to split the Ceratopsians into two Kickstarter campaigns (Centrosaurines and Chasmosarines), however I know that many of you really want your favorite Chasmosaurine dinos such as Pentaceratops, Chasmosaurus, and Triceratops represented sooner rather than later. And after careful consideration, I've decided to concentrate on the most prominent ceratopsians for one single campaign instead of two, with additional species to follow later without crowdfunding. Here is my revised list for the 2019 Beasts of the Mesozoic Kickstarter (items are subject to change)::

1/18th (from smaller to larger)
Zuniceratops
Udanoceratops
Avaceratops
Einosaurus
Monoclonius- (juvenile Centrosaurus) *KS exclusive
Styracosaurus
Nasutoceratops
Diabloceratops
Triceratops (juvenile)
Regaliceratops
Chasmosaurus b.
Utahceratops
Mercuriceratops
Kosmoceratops
Albertaceratops
Pentaceratops
Medusaceratops
Wendiceratops
Xenoceratops
Centrosaurus
Pachyrhinosaurus lakustai
Sinocerotops
Triceratops (adult)
Torosaurus

1/6th
Protoceratops
Psittacosaurus

All species shown so far will still be offered, but some that were only listed previously have been switched out in favor of the most-requested Chasmosaurines. I estimate that this adjustment will push the schedule back a few months to late summer 2019, but in addition to representing more well-known species, having only one Ceratopsian campaign will allow us to get to Tyrannosaurs that much sooner. As we continue with the prototype development into 2019, know that I will continue to show all of the concept art for each figure, however certain prototype pics and package art will be held back to be revealed during the campaign. I wouldn't want to spoil everything before the big show!

So, what do you all think of the new list? Are there any species you feel I missed that should be in this initial offering?
Thank you all so much for your interest and support thus far and here's looking forward to a great 2019!

"

Seriously, this line is going to be NUTS.
Here are some Einiosaurus color samples:
Image Image Image

...And in STILL OTHER news, this big bad boy is finally out in online stores: the Eofauna Giganotosaurus!

This is a must-have for any fan of large theropods.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Impressive... most impressive... That is a heck of a list. I'll definitely aim to get at least one. I'll have to see the final products, obviously, but Styracosaurus is pretty likely since I passed on the JW one.

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

Seems that the Destruct-A-Saurus basic packs( Velociraptor, Dilophosaurus, Pteranodon )have surfaced in Canada. I never understood why TRU Canada can't ship to the Continental US - we're just south of them fer cryin' out loud! :mad:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

If I have to complain about that otherwise incredible Einiosaurus prototype, its mid-body joint looks awful. Hopefully the final version improves it.

ROMG4
G-Grasper

Post by ROMG4 »

I want a Spinosaurus

Never forget tadpole :g2k:
Cinematic Kaiju wrote:"...And you keep still because you think that maybe his visual acuity is based on movement like T-Rex - he'll lose you if you don't move. But no, not Godzilla. You stare at him, and he just stares right back."
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:00 amI'm sowey, I didn't mean it uMu

MandaSaurus
Sazer

Post by MandaSaurus »

ROMG4 wrote:I want a Spinosaurus
Join the club. Find a friend in Canada or the UK, or look for a deal on eBay, or troll Target's site waiting for it to become available...

EDIT: The Target-Excl. Legacy Collection basic dinos( Pteranodons, Pachy, Galli, orange Raptor, baby T-Rex )have started hitting final clearance. $2.98 each. Go get 'em... :D

EDIT 2: I found a matte grey acrylic for my Styraco. Too pale for the beak, but good for the spikes. Then I just used my fingernail to scratch that reddish-brown smoodge off the beak - some of the under-plastic came thru, but it doesn't clash with the beak color, so it IS an improvement...
Last edited by MandaSaurus on Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

My Walmart finally started restocking, and I picked up an Albertosaurus and a Dracorex this morning. The Alberto is one of the better figures in the line so far, with lots of great details; I particularly like all the armor-like scales, spikes, and knobs running down its neck and back. I'm also glad it has a poseable head and jaws that can be manually opened/closed, as opposed to some gimmick where you have to pull the tail or whatever. The Draco is a little less outstanding, but does its job well enough. I'm not too crazy about the shade of pale tannish they went with for its underside, but then I guess it will stand out from the darker colors that make up most of my collection.