Ghostbusters General Thread

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.

Favorite Ghostbusters Movie

Ghostbusters (1986)
85%
Ghostbusters 2
7%
Ghostbusters (2016)
7%

Total votes: 55

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Re: Ghostbusters General Thread

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:51 pm

It says they're looking to cast four teenagers. Part of me hopes they're adapting one of the stories from the IDW comics or something like Extreme Ghostbusters.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:00 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:It says they're looking to cast four teenagers. Part of me hopes they're adapting one of the stories from the IDW comics or something like Extreme Ghostbusters.

Oh, man- an Extreme Ghostbusters film is continuity with the original films? That would be awesome!
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:36 pm

I’m just happy it’s set after the originals. That’s all I’ve ever wanted. Female cast, male cast, all-dog cast, I never cared about that... all I ever cared about was continuing the story of the originals.

Yes, cautiously optimistic.

2004Zilla
E.S.P.Spy

Postby 2004Zilla » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:36 pm

Make it animated or it's a bust.
SuperPawnageGigan wrote:What has this thread become.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:43 pm

KaijuCanuck wrote:I’m just happy it’s set after the originals. That’s all I’ve ever wanted. Female cast, male cast, all-dog cast, I never cared about that... all I ever cared about was continuing the story of the originals.

Here, here. That's what made the bait-and-switch of the reboot trailer so painful.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:

The Zone Fighter campaign is funded and complete, with translations in progress! PM me if you want to be part of the Facebook updates group.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:11 pm

Zarm wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I’m just happy it’s set after the originals. That’s all I’ve ever wanted. Female cast, male cast, all-dog cast, I never cared about that... all I ever cared about was continuing the story of the originals.

Here, here. That's what made the bait-and-switch of the reboot trailer so painful.

Ugh, I remember that. Yeah, that was lame of them.

BTW should this really be in Monster Manor? I'm not really sure I see ghosts as 'monsters' so much. But I guess it's all semantics.

UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju

Postby UltramanGoji » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:21 pm

Yeah, that confused me when I was on the main page and went looking for this thread. It really isn't a "monster movie" to me.

XxComablack1937xX
G-Force Lieutenant

Postby XxComablack1937xX » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:00 pm

Well this is interesting on the one hand the have the opportunity to fix the mistakes of the previous Reboot and give us a solid film or they could do the impossible and make something worse.

Interested but not excited in the slightest at this time.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:42 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Zarm wrote:

Ugh, I remember that. Yeah, that was lame of them.

BTW should this really be in Monster Manor? I'm not really sure I see ghosts as 'monsters' so much. But I guess it's all semantics.

Well, Stay Puft was pretty kiaju-esque... :)

Maranatha!

Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:44 am

My problem with this is the mentality that just because he's Ivan's son, he's just as talented. This has come up whenever they talk about remaking American Werewolf in London with Landis' son.

Personally? I couldn't care any less about this. They're all too old, it's far too late for a "sequel" to 2, I just. I don't know I don't see the point personally.
Resized Image

What doesn't kill me makes me Vicious

goji89 wrote:So.......are we gonna Kinkshame the skreeonking birds or what?

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:53 am

Maritonic wrote:My problem with this is the mentality that just because he's Ivan's son, he's just as talented. This has come up whenever they talk about remaking American Werewolf in London with Landis' son.

Personally? I couldn't care any less about this. They're all too old, it's far too late for a "sequel" to 2, I just. I don't know I don't see the point personally.

It's true that's not a given- but sometimes, it is. In Trek, Adam Nimoy's son is a pretty strong director, and Chris Doohan nails his father's role.

I don't know if I would necessarily expect it to be just as good; it's still an unknown quality. But to me, at least it shows respect- leaving the legacy in the hands of someone it belongs to; someone hopefully best suited to understand the shaping of the original through understanding the man who shaped it. It's no guarantee... but it's a leg up, if you will.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:55 am

Zarm wrote:
Maritonic wrote:My problem with this is the mentality that just because he's Ivan's son, he's just as talented. This has come up whenever they talk about remaking American Werewolf in London with Landis' son.

It's true that's not a given- but sometimes, it is. In Trek, Adam Nimoy's son is a pretty strong director, and Chris Doohan nails his father's role.

I don't know if I would necessarily expect it to be just as good; it's still an unknown quality. But to me, at least it shows respect- leaving the legacy in the hands of someone it belongs to; someone hopefully best suited to understand the shaping of the original through understanding the man who shaped it. It's no guarantee... but it's a leg up, if you will.

I get that, but like in the case of Landis he would BUTCHER American Werewolf. His pitch for it sounded horrific (and not in the way it should be).

I guess my point is that some people (not here, yet) give these legacies a pass simply because they're related. But blood doesn't equal talent. That's all I'm saying. Not to mention the other person involved did the Poltergeist remake which was garbage too.

If everyone signs on, maybe I might get a bit more excited? But I just think this ship sailed YEARS ago.
Resized Image

MandaSaurus wrote:I think a lot of you here don't exactly know what LOGIC actually means.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:03 am

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:

I get that, but like in the case of Landis he would BUTCHER American Werewolf. His pitch for it sounded horrific (and not in the way it should be).

I guess my point is that some people (not here, yet) give these legacies a pass simply because they're related. But blood doesn't equal talent. That's all I'm saying. Not to mention the other person involved did the Poltergeist remake which was garbage too.

If everyone signs on, maybe I might get a bit more excited? But I just think this ship sailed YEARS ago.

Probably. I think my thought is more 'they're not going to leave it alone, so if they're going to do something, this at least sounds like the best potential version of an undesired follow-up; the one that might screw things up the least.' :)

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
EDF Soldier

Postby KaijuCanuck » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:36 am

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:53 am

KaijuCanuck wrote:Holy bajeezus, people!!

https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/trail ... m-released

Goosebumps.

Love it.

LOVE IT!!!!

Original music cues for the win! :) I dig the use of the far-less-iconic but far more involving cues from the original film. It would've been easy to go the obvious route, use the theme song... but this is about immersion in the feel and tone of the original, and I really appreciate that.
Last edited by Zarm on Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maranatha!

kingkevzilla88
Interpol Agent

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:38 am

Holy crap! I really hope it's good. Just out of curiosity, I looked on Twitter and they're sad losers people complaining about how that poop heap from 2016 is better than this.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:41 am

kingkevzilla88 wrote:Holy crap! I really hope it's good. Just out of curiosity, I looked on Twitter and they're sad losers people complaining about how that poop heap from 2016 is better than this.

They're complaining that a 2-hour movie is better than a 50 second teaser trailer?

I mean, the case could be made (I wouldn't agree, personally), but... it's a dumb assertion to make. I mean, Attack of the Clones is probably better than the teaser trailer for Empire Strikes Back, but that doesn't say much. :)

Maranatha!

Maritonic
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Maritonic » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:50 am

Zarm wrote:I mean, Attack of the Clones is probably better than the teaser trailer for Empire Strikes Back, but that doesn't say much. :)

I had to read this, out loud, slowly, just to make sure I didn't misunderstand you. Cause. Man.
Resized Image

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Postby Zarm » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:51 am

Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:I mean, Attack of the Clones is probably better than the teaser trailer for Empire Strikes Back, but that doesn't say much. :)

I had to read this, out loud, slowly, just to make sure I didn't misunderstand you. Cause. Man.

I appreciate the effort; I would not want to be caught dead saying what a cursory reading could make it look like I was saying... :)

Maranatha!

kingkevzilla88
Interpol Agent

Postby kingkevzilla88 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:52 am

Zarm wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:Holy crap! I really hope it's good. Just out of curiosity, I looked on Twitter and they're sad losers people complaining about how that poop heap from 2016 is better than this.

They're complaining that a 2-hour movie is better than a 50 second teaser trailer?

I mean, the case could be made (I wouldn't agree, personally), but... it's a dumb assertion to make. I mean, Attack of the Clones is probably better than the teaser trailer for Empire Strikes Back, but that doesn't say much. :)

Sorry, I missed tiped(bloody tablet). What I meant to say that their complaining about how that stupid movie WILL be better than the new one.

Return to “Monster Manor”