Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Dr. Professor
Futurian

Re: Unpopular Godzilla Opinions

Post by Dr. Professor »

KaijuCanuck wrote: Personally, I like the helmets, but hey that's just me.
Normally I wouldn't mind something like that, but I just feel like they clash with the tone of this particular film. But it's just a nitpick really.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

goji89 wrote:
Grievous wrote:
goji89 wrote:Thanks for telling us, we were wondering about that very thing actually. Good to know thanks.

:thumbsup:
Wait...is this the real you? Or are you "acting"?

:P
:lol: ....Aw, someone was paying attention.
Yeah...I actually read what other members post...
not just skip over it so I can say my piece.

;)
Last edited by Grievous on Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KaijuCanuck wrote: Don't get used to it, Arizona scum.
Careful Canadian, last time a Canuck spoke to me in that manner he was last seen 4 yrs ago....He sleeps with the beavers.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Zarm wrote:Oh, is it time for the monthly 'insult your peers by talking about how stupid it is to discuss theoretical battles' session already? :)
No. I clarified that the theoretical battles weren't the issue. It was specifically the people getting angry and condescending over them.

Saying "I think Titanosaurus would beat Rodan because X and Y = Z," is one thing. That's totally fine. I don't have any problem with that.

However, saying "Do you really think Rodan would win? Let me prove how OBJECTIVELY WRONG YOU ARE," is quite another.

And don't even get me started on the condescending remarks, whether they be on TK or in offsite chatrooms, going: "This dude is so stupid. Look at him trying to defend Rodan. He's such a moron."
Last edited by Spuro on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

goji89 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote: Don't get used to it, Arizona scum.
Careful Canadian, last time a Canuck spoke to me in that manner he was last seen 4 yrs ago....He sleeps with the beavers.
You ain't never even met a Canuck, fool! It was probably a Minnesotan you killed. If you throw a Canuck in with the beavers, dead or alive, he automatically is granted special Beaver powers! Biological fact.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

And count me in with the small group that holds Terror of Mechagodzilla superior over Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. I still like the latter, and in fact it's slowly been gaining more favor from me with each rewatch (meanwhile, two other Mechagodzilla movies: Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2 and Tokyo SOS, have fallen hard in my eyes. I used to adore them).

But Terror of Mechagodzilla is something special. This was the movie that introduced me to Mechagodzilla. For the longest time, it was the *only* movie starring Mechagodzilla that I would get to see. It's consistently in my top ten favorites list.

I also consider it to be the second best of the 70's movies, after Godzilla vs Hedorah, by a considerable margin. Critically, it even beats out a few of the 60's classics (GTTHM, DAM, Ebirah, and War of the Gargantuas specifically).
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I find ToMG to be pretty lackluster myself. Very draggy :shrug:

It’s got amazing moments but they don’t save it for me, I don’t revisit this one often.
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:I find ToMG to be pretty lackluster myself. Very draggy :shrug:

It’s got amazing moments but they don’t save it for me, I don’t revisit this one often.
This sums it up well for me. I enjoy Mechagodzilla because it feels like a return-to-form- the quality and style of a 60s film- and I feel like everything that it has to say or do with Mechagodzilla is done better in that one than in the sequel. It's not like either movie is in my top 10, it's just that it stands head and shoulders above the rest of the 70s entries, including Terror, for me, and the concept is both unique enough and well-executed enough that it adds some additional entertainment value. Seeing the two Godzilla square off against one another, the reveal of Mechagodzilla, and all his bags of tricks, are quite entertaining to watch.

Whereas by the second film, all of those interesting and unique things that made Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla stand out a little are already rote, and simply a repeat of the greatest hits. And what's there that's new and original is not enough, for me, to elevate it above the novelty and quality of the first. That, at least for me, is why Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla is more praiseworthy than Terror of Mechagodzilla.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Zarm wrote:That, at least for me, is why Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla is more praiseworthy than Terror of Mechagodzilla.
I just like Godzilla vs. MechaGodzilla more because
its more fun & has an incredibly funky soundtrack.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

never dug the "swing" dance hall music of Mechagodzilla while Anguirus is getting rekked like always. I love the dark tone of Terror. Plus the edgier design of Mechagodzilla II. Dunno.

Good enough, Professor?
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Hedorah IMO is highly overrated to high Hell. I get it, but it, design wise sucked. And dont get me started on that shiitty psychedelic movie. Its just too often felt like a montage of trying too hard to be artsy with images just thrown in there for shiits and giggles.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

goji89 wrote:Its just too often felt like a montage of trying too hard to be artsy with images just thrown in there for shiits and giggles.
Sounds like another movie I know...from the 80's....
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

Maritonic wrote:never dug the "swing" dance hall music of Mechagodzilla while Anguirus is getting rekked like always. I love the dark tone of Terror. Plus the edgier design of Mechagodzilla II. Dunno.

Good enough, Professor?
Hmmm. Not wordy enough. If you read your post out loud and your voice doesn't go hoarse then I don't think you've truly expressed your love for Terror of MechaGodzilla. Try again.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think that music syncs amazing well to Angurius getting tossed around so it’s one of my favorites.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Maritonic wrote:
goji89 wrote:Its just too often felt like a montage of trying too hard to be artsy with images just thrown in there for shiits and giggles.
You shut your filthy mouth you bastard. I know where your going....... I swear to my God Eabaker I will gut you like a fish....... :sigh:

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I think that music syncs amazing well to Angurius getting tossed around so it’s one of my favorites.
it does. I was trying to troll. I'm not good at it.

Added in 38 seconds:
goji89 wrote:
Maritonic wrote:
You shut your filthy mouth you bastard. I know where your going....... I swear to my God Eabaker I will gut you like a fish....... :sigh:

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Perfect response bro. I love it.

:lol:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I prefer G vs Mg as well. I find it more enjoyable, and the ape face transformation is more interesting than a face scarred by radiation. I will admit that Titanosaurus and Katsura bring an added depth to ToMG, but I just like G vs Mg better.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maritonic wrote:]
Ever notice how James Franco can't properly blink? :lol: Makes it even more awesome.

Dr. Professor wrote: Hmmm. Not wordy enough. If you read your post out loud and your voice doesn't go hoarse then I don't think you've truly expressed your love for Terror of MechaGodzilla. Try again.
I will actually type a 5 paragraph essay in MLA format on why it's my favorite Godzilla movie. :mechagodzilla:
Last edited by MechaGoji Bro7503 on Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Maritonic wrote:
Which one?