King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

For the discussion of non-Toho monster media, tokusatsu franchises, and also for mixed discussion of Toho and non-Toho kaiju media.
The Octopus
G-Grasper

Re: King Kong Tribute Thread (THE REAL KING KONG!)

Post by The Octopus »

^ That's pretty badass. I was disappointed we didn't get a tie in video game for that film.

Edit: As for Space Kong Mark Cotta Vaz briefly mentioned it in his book. It had something to do with a copy of Earth that is discovered by astronauts that was prehistoric and of course Kong was living there (!).

O'Brien wanted to do a story where Carl Denham wanted to find the Abominable Snowman and ended up encountering King Kong in the Himalayas (!!). It was gonna be called The Abominable Carl Denham. He came up with this story treatment around the time he was conceiving King Kong Meets Frankenstein.

I'm all for new King Kong adventures but some of these ideas sounded stupid.
Last edited by The Octopus on Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:^ That's pretty badass. I was disappointed we didn't get a tie in video game for that film.

Edit: As for Space Kong Mark Cotta Vaz briefly mentioned it in his book. It had something to do with a copy of Earth that is discovered by astronauts that was prehistoric and of course Kong was living there (!).

O'Brien wanted to do a story where Carl Denham wanted to find the Abominable Snowman and ended up encountering King Kong in the Himalayas (!!). It was gonna be called The Abominable Carl Denham. He came up with this story treatment around the time he was conceiving King Kong Meets Frankenstein.

I'm all for new King Kong adventures but some of these ideas sounded stupid.
Well...sometimes stupid can be fun.

Not everything has to be super serious all the time.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

If we're talking about weird King Kong films, Dino DeLaurentis was planning on a sequel to King Kong (1976) where Kong would fight the Orca from the Jaws rip-off he produced.

Added in 27 seconds:
This one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orca_(film)

RIP Evan.

Mr. Yellow
G-Force Personnel

Post by Mr. Yellow »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:If we're talking about weird King Kong films, Dino DeLaurentis was planning on a sequel to King Kong (1976) where Kong would fight the Orca from the Jaws rip-off he produced.

Added in 27 seconds:
This one.

Wonder if he got the idea from A*P*E*?

"Monsters are tragic beings. They are born too tall, too strong, too heavy. They are not evil by choice. That is their tragedy. They do not attack people because they want to, but because of their size and strength, mankind has no other choice but to defend himself. After several stories such as this, people end up having a kind of affection for the monsters. They end up caring about them." - Ishiro Honda

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:If we're talking about weird King Kong films, Dino DeLaurentis was planning on a sequel to King Kong (1976) where Kong would fight the Orca from the Jaws rip-off he produced.
God how much I wish that became a reality.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I had previously mentioned that Peter Cullen, known far and wide as the voice of Optimus Prime had worked on '76 KING KONG as the man behind the roars and growls of Kong. I was slightly wrong. He actually worked on KING KONG LIVES !. Cullen was worked pretty hard on the project. Bad enough that he ended up coughing up some blood. :freak: Cullen talks about it a little bit before at TF Con before getting into how he ended up getting the job for PREDATOR.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Added in 27 seconds:
This one.

Kong vs. Orca...

Wow,..

I didn't even think of that one...lol.

How about Kong vs. The White Buffalo?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_White_Buffalo

Does anyone else besides me remember that one?

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I actually started a thread awhile back on the never made KING KONG Vs. ORCA after seeing the killer whale revenge flick on Encore one night. Two other unmade Dino DeLaurentis Kong flicks that I had read about was Bionic Kong. In which a group of scientists resurrected Kong after his fall from the World Trade Center as a cyborg. Supposedly said scientists end up forcing Kong to kill Dwan(Jessica Lange) in the course of the proposed flick. The other flick was Kong Goes To Africa ! where the massive ape is transplanted to Africa.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Kong goes to Africa in that King Kong/Tarzan crossover novel that came out in 2016.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I would have loved to see that original 'Kong vs. Frankenstein' film that Willis O'Brien was planning.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

KaijuCanuck wrote:I would have loved to see that original 'Kong vs. Frankenstein' film that Willis O'Brien was planning.
Hear Hear!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

My (current yet likely to change) ranking of the King Kong films:

1. King Kong (1933) (I only saw this movie for the first time about a month before Kong: Skull Island came out when I nabbed it for pretty cheap at the dollar store, but fell in love with it right away).
2. King Kong (1976) (don't know why this doesn't get more love, a very competent and beautiful remake)
3. King Kong Escapes (1967) (don't know why I love this movie as much as I do, but I do)
4. Son of Kong (1933) (notable for being the first Kong movie I ever saw)
5. Kong: Skull Island (2017) (just such a powerful version of Kong really deserving of the title of "King", great design updating the original look some and cool action)
6. King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962) (it's King Kong vs Godzilla, what more do you want?)
7. King Kong (2005) (despite being so low on my list, I really do like this movie, the Skull Island bits are pretty good, plus my aunt really liked this one and I miss her a lot)
8. King Kong Lives (1986) Only saw this once on TV. It was alright, not bad, just doesn't measure up as much compared to the others)

It's notable that personally I don't think Kong's ever had a bad movie.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Vakanai wrote:7. King Kong (2005) (despite being so low on my list, I really do like this movie, the Skull Island bits are pretty good, plus my aunt really liked this one and I miss her a lot)
Don't feel bad man. To many people on here many would agree with you on this being among their least favorite.

Visually and beautifully shot but main issue with this film was its use of excess and poor pacing issues with no need having to be over three hours long.

That said this is my ranking for the movies.

1. Kong: Skull Island (2017)
2. King Kong (1933)
3. King Kong Escapes (1967)
4. King Kong (1976)
5. King Kong Lives (1986)
6. Son of Kong (1933)
7. King Kong vs. Godzilla (1962)
8. King Kong (2005)

As it holds up Kong: Skull Island is my favorite Kong movies. Tons of dumb fun and action-adventure to go with it. What Godzilla (2014) should had been and what King of the Monsters hopefully will be.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

1. King Kong (2005) (It didn't change the landscape of film-making like the original did, but as far as storytelling, characters, worldbuilding, and yes, pacing, are concerned... this will always be my favorite of the Kong films. And, heaven help me, I'm going to be swarmed for this... I think it's a better movie than the original.)
2. King Kong (1933) (That said, the original is still a great movie and easily takes second place. Just a little too fast paced for my tastes and lacks a lot of the emotional and character depth of the remake. Ann's character is pretty bad here.)
3. King Kong vs Godzilla (1962) (The Japanese version, specifically. The clever themes and satire make this Kong movie stand out above all the other non-remakes so far.)
4. King Kong (1976) (It's decent. Not as bad as people say it is, I think. I think in some ways this movie is considered a classic in its own right.)
5. Kong: Skull Island (2017) (Now we're getting into bad territory. Skull Island isn't terrible... but I found it extremely underwhelming, shallow, and boring. How they managed to make a movie about Skull Friggin Island boring is beyond me...)
6. King Kong Escapes (1967) (It has its charms, but I always thought it was one of 60's Toho's weakest kaiju entries. Susan Watson doesn't help by being the single most annoying adult character I have ever seen in a monster movie.)
7. King Kong Lives (1986) (At least the suit is decent?)

I haven't yet seen Son of Kong...

GodzillaFan1990's wrote: As it holds up Kong: Skull Island is my favorite Kong movies. Tons of dumb fun and action-adventure to go with it. What Godzilla (2014) should had been and what King of the Monsters hopefully will be.
https://i.redd.it/1bnkiic32z501.gif

(gif was too big)
Last edited by Spuro on Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

1.) King Kong (1933) - Mostly for nostalgic purposes since my first viewing of this film was really special to me but also because the stories behind its creation were some of my favorite tales of movie-making growing up and it inspired me to pick up a video camera and make things. I also really love the spectacle of the original, even if some of the characters aren't necessarily well-developed.
2.) King Kong vs. Godzilla - Japanese version only. A really clever comedy with tons of character and tokusatsu flair. It's basically everything I look for in a Showa-era kaiju film and I just love it to bits. It also gains extra points for not being just a straight remake of the original Kong story.
3.) Kong: Skull Island - It's been getting a ton of flak lately, but I don't care. I still love it, almost exactly for the same reasons I love the original. I love Jordan Vogt-Roberts direction with the film and hearing his commentary and choices for visual styles and motifs makes me appreciate the film even more. Yes, not all the characters are well-developed or explored but I think the stunning visuals and just pure spectacle are enough to satisfy me.
4.) Son of Kong - An often overlooked film but one I actually really like. It's a lot less of a spectacle than the original but still has that adventurous Depression-era feel to it. It also manages to give Carl Denham a decent character arc and develops him more than the original. I really like the approach they took with this one.
5.) King Kong (2005) - A lot of nostalgia for this one too, but less from the film and more from the marketing and hype surrounding it. I remember being so excited for this movie the I literally kept an old Regal popcorn tub with a Kong ad on it for a few months before and after the film came out. Looking back at it now, it's still pretty fun but held down a lot by a very sluggish pace and a little too much bloat. Still good and another film I can admire for its behind-the-scenes information.
6.) King Kong (1976) - An awful film, really. I think the only highlights are Jeff Bridges' performance and the Rick Baker Kong suit. Everything else is dull, forgettable, and just a huge mess and a waste of time.

It's been years since I've seen Escapes and I have no desire to see Lives ever.

The Octopus
G-Grasper

Post by The Octopus »

Vakanai wrote:1. King Kong (1933) (I only saw this movie for the first time about a month before Kong: Skull Island came out when I nabbed it for pretty cheap at the dollar store, but fell in love with it right away).
Its nice that young people in today's age can appreciate an old movie.

mvp9056
Monarch Researcher

Post by mvp9056 »

I thought this was a pretty interesting video. It gives interesting ideas on why Kong is the only creature that's brought back to civilization.

https://youtu.be/RY7qIUb9s0I?t=46
Last edited by mvp9056 on Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Vakanai wrote:1. King Kong (1933) (I only saw this movie for the first time about a month before Kong: Skull Island came out when I nabbed it for pretty cheap at the dollar store, but fell in love with it right away).
Eh, I'm creeping out of that age where people call me young (I'm 31), plus I like classic monster movies in general (love all the old Universal horror pictures). You get weird fans like me in every generation.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Vakanai wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
Eh, I'm creeping out of that age where people call me young (I'm 31), plus I like classic monster movies in general (love all the old Universal horror pictures). You get weird fans like me in every generation.
I mean I'm 27, think the '33 Kong is by FAR the best one, and love the Universal Horrors. So you're not that weird. haha.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Maritonic wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Shhh! The Octopus wrote:
I mean I'm 27, think the '33 Kong is by FAR the best one, and love the Universal Horrors. So you're not that weird. haha.
I don't know, I just always had the impression most people my age would never willingly watch anything in black and white, but maybe (hopefully) I'm wrong in that assumption. Know I certainly love a lot of these classic genre films.

Something I find interesting is I read/heard somewhere that a lot of these classic movies were considered low forms of entertainment that some studios/actors/whoever were embarrassed by because horror as a genre was believed to be lowbrow or lowest common denominator or whatever vs more drama type pictures, and yet today these movies have stood the test of time and are far better remembered and beloved than many of the "higher class" drama films.