Is Zone Fighter canon to the Showa era?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Kiryu2012
Keizer

Is Zone Fighter canon to the Showa era?

Post by Kiryu2012 »

According to the Wikipedia article on Zone Fighter, supplementary materials published by Toho confirm it to be canon, but there's no citation for it. Is there any official material that states Zone Fighter to be canon to the Showa era?
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Is Zone Fighter canon to the Showa era?

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I always assumed it was. Gigan gets essploded and I'm pretty sure Ghidorah survives so there's no reason it couldn't be, right?
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I think the real question is the sleuthing work. Plenty of places say Toho says it is... but where does Toho actually say that?

Which is a fair question I hadn't considered before.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I mean, pretty much every book lists it as such. I see no reason why it couldn't/shouldn't be. Why is this even a debate?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I'm guessing he just wants to confirm it isn't a popular urban legend, and is actually stated somewhere official.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

MaxRebo320 wrote:I mean, pretty much every book lists it as such. I see no reason why it couldn't/shouldn't be. Why is this even a debate?
It’s still an interesting question. Like Zarm said, what is the original source? Lots of books say it is, but where did Toho themselves actuallly say it?

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Kiryu2012 wrote:According to the Wikipedia article on Zone Fighter, supplementary materials published by Toho confirm it to be canon, but there's no citation for it. Is there any official material that states Zone Fighter to be canon to the Showa era?
Did you use Wikizilla or just Wikipedia? I mean, Wikizilla is where it's at.

I view it as canon, I mean it does no harm besides having fans wonder why ZF didn't help Godzilla in the next two movies ;)
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:According to the Wikipedia article on Zone Fighter, supplementary materials published by Toho confirm it to be canon, but there's no citation for it. Is there any official material that states Zone Fighter to be canon to the Showa era?
Did you use Wikizilla or just Wikipedia? I mean, Wikizilla is where it's at.

I view it as canon, I mean it does no harm besides having fans wonder why ZF didn't help Godzilla in the next two movies ;)
Doesn't Zone Fighter leave Earth in the final episode?

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Zarm wrote:I'm guessing he just wants to confirm it isn't a popular urban legend, and is actually stated somewhere official.
Pretty much this.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
Doesn't Zone Fighter leave Earth in the final episode?
I don’t think so since a second season was supposed to happen.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Probably. It’s not like something that Toho is ashamed of and continually tries to hide, although it is a bit dissapointing Zone Fighter hasn’t made any sort of appearance in the franchise since.

It adressess what presumably occurred between TOMG and DAM though(maybe I’m wrong, but it works best that way. The events of zone fighter fit neatly into that gap and show the end of Gigan as well as space out whatever Ghidorah was up to in that time span. Strangely enough, Godzilla sortve has a cave that he lives in peacefully, it’s not thatdifferent from what they did with the enclosure on DAM.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

From what I understand, it isvsupposed to be set the same time period t.hat it was made, in between Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla. I do have to say, though- in a retcon sense, filling in that gap before Destroy All Monsters would be a much more satisfying placement.

Maranatha!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Zarm wrote:I do have to say, though- in a retcon sense, filling in that gap before Destroy All Monsters would be a much more satisfying placement.
40 years ago Toho, and to be fair most studios, had no interest in creating a detailed canon or history for their films. The kaiju were treated more like actors in each appearance than trying to create a wider shared universe like today.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

As I've said before, continuity in the Showa era was loose at best. If you want Zone Fighter to count, it probably can fit. If you don't, it is easily ignored.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

To be fair, there's a difference between continuity (how/where do these films fit together, and how well?) and canon (the official list of what entries are part of a series or work). As most modern franchise prequels demonstrate, something can be canon without having very good continuity, since canon is simply an official list, while continuity is the details of how things fit together.

Maranatha!

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote: Doesn't Zone Fighter leave Earth in the final episode?
From what I have heard (and I guess will soon find out thanks to Zarm), the show's finale is simply the last episode. There is no real closure, the Garogas aren't properly defeated once and for all and the Zone family doesn't leave Earth. But I guess one could assume the Garogas were eventually defeated offscreen, hence their absence in Godzilla movies set after the show.

And I kind of doubt there were plans for a "second season", as Toku shows simply didn't roll like that back then (Or even now). If the was a big hit, they'd either keep pumping out episodes on a weekly basis or make a whole new show as a sequel.
Last edited by MaxRebo320 on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

MaxRebo320 wrote:
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote: Doesn't Zone Fighter leave Earth in the final episode?
From what I have heard (and I guess will soon find out thanks to Zarm), the show's finale is simply the last episode. There is no real closure, the Garogas aren't defeated for good and the Zone family doesn't leave Earth. But I guess one could assume the Garogas were eventually defeated offscreen, hence their absence in Godzilla movies set after the show.

And I kind of doubt there were plans for a "second season", as Toku shows simply didn't role like that back then (Or even now). If the was a big hit, they'd either keep pumping out episodes on a weekly basis or make a whole other show as a sequel.
Yep- I don't know yet, it's the only one we haven't translated, but probably in about a week I will. It's actually killing me, because I'll have to proofcheck it before I get the chance to watch it/the series, and I don't wanna know 'till I get there! :( Oh well, c'est la vis... :)

(However, I have heard the same; no closure.)
Last edited by Zarm on Mon Jan 14, 2019 12:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maranatha!

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

*Looks Around*

So...what's Zone Fighter actually like?

It looks fun from the small amount of clips I've seen.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

HillyHulk
Gotengo Officer

Post by HillyHulk »

Possibly since it is clearly after Terror of Mechagodzilla given the suit used in the series, indicating it's somewhere between that film and Destroy All Monsters.
Last edited by HillyHulk on Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

Grievous wrote:*Looks Around*

So...what's Zone Fighter actually like?

It looks fun from the small amount of clips I've seen.
It's incredibly goofy at times, but it's an entertaining little series. There's an English translation in the works, so I'd recommend waiting for that to finish if you want to check an episode or two.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock