Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Worse human character out of any Kaiju film

Poll ended at Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Ford Brody (Godzilla 2014)
No votes
Pteranodon guy (Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 2)
14%
Haruo Sakaki (Godzilla Anime)
57%
Dr. Stewart (War of the Gargantuas)
14%
Kennys (Showa Era Child characters)
No votes
Chujo (Tokyo SOS)
No votes
Other (If other, please specify who)
14%

Total votes: 7

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Worst human character in a Kaiju film, Godzilla or otherwise.

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:-The Major from Godzilla vs Biollante:
The guy who controls the super x. Normally I wouldn’t criticize a character for the inner plot points of the film, but doesn’t he just suck at his job? When the fire mirror starts to fail, he keeps using it repeatedly. Then he makes a grave error of where Godzilla will land, and fucks up again hard in the second super x fight. I also remember him being late and annoying.
Huh. Major Kuroki is actually one of my favorite characters. Yeah, he's under pressure, having to make some tough and semi-arbitrary calls, and he gets it wrong a lot, but he's a relatable guy trying his damnedest while facing borderline no-win situations.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Honorable mention:
Kobayashi and co from GRA. What did they do other then discover Angurius and Godzilla? They have a painfully forced and pointless romance plot that’s just there to pad out the film. One thing that works in there favor is that they’re directly affected by Godzilla because there’s less fish. It adds a human element to the whole thing.
The characters might not be especially fleshed out but I like that they’re not the usual stock characters in these movies: scientists, soldiers, and usually reporters or civil and public servants. The main characters in GRA are everymen who keep encountering the monsters out of circumstance. To me it really reinforces the idea that Godzilla and Angilas represent nuclear disaster. They don’t care who you are or where you live. They can strike anywhere. Yes, it may be a little convenient that Godzilla should basically follow Kobayashi to Hokkaido but I like that more than our civilian characters joining some sort of official government/military search.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:The characters might not be especially fleshed out but I like that they’re not the usual stock characters in these movies: scientists, soldiers, and usually reporters or civil and public servants. The main characters in GRA are everymen who keep encountering the monsters out of circumstance. To me it really reinforces the idea that Godzilla and Angilas represent nuclear disaster. They don’t care who you are or where you live. They can strike anywhere. Yes, it may be a little convenient that Godzilla should basically follow Kobayashi to Hokkaido but I like that more than our civilian characters joining some sort of official government/military search.
Yeah, I'm pretty much with you here. While I don't think the movie totally works, the idea of telling the story from the perspective of more "common folk" was a good one that I think was mostly hampered by the rushed writing and production.

And I could just about kiss you for using the classic spelling of Angilas. :D
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

eabaker wrote:And I could just about kiss you for using the classic spelling of Angilas. :D
I always strive for accuracy.

Resized Image

Besides, "Angilas" is closer to the Japanese pronunciation. Unless you pronounce it "ANGLE-us," as in the international version of DAM. Blech.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Not Haruo, I liked him and his motives were believable.

Pteranodon guy should take the cake since no one remembers his real name :lol: I don't even remember him appearing in the climax.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Pteranodon guy should take the cake since no one remembers his real name
Kazuma Aoki

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

comment deleted.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:Ford Brody. Hopefully he and his family died in the Titans or King Ghidorah's attack in King of the Monsters.
You'd really a hope a family died just because they might be bland and boring, but are basically still good people?

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

comment deleted.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 4 times in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:You'd really a hope a family died just because they might be bland and boring, but are basically still good people?
Yes especially too they were also emotionless robots. That would make up for the main lead Gareth had given us instead of Joe.

In fact its a headcanon of mine that they were among the casualties. Besides its fiction. It ain't like they were real people so nothing to get work up about if you think its messed up of me to hope that.
I mean I'm not worked up... but that is still a little messed up, man. :shock:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

comment deleted.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:I mean I'm not worked up... but that is still a little messed up, man. :shock:
Dude its fiction. Not real. Anyone can think what they want.
Alright man, whatever you say. Please don't imagine me and my family dying!!!!

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

comment deleted.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Alright man, whatever you say. Please don't imagine me and my family dying!!!!
I wouldn't because you're real people.
Oh okay, good. PHEW. That's a load off my mind, bud. Thanks so much.

So in my headcanon, after The Angry Beavers ends, Dagget stubs his toe on a nail and then dies of a horrible, slow, painful bacterial infection. But that's just my headcanon, just helps me with some issues I had with the creative direction, so no biggie. Forget I even said anything. :P

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

comment deleted
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:Oh okay, good. PHEW. That's a load off my mind, bud. Thanks so much.

So in my headcanon, after The Angry Beavers ends, Dagget stubs his toe on a nail and then dies of a horrible, slow, painful bacterial infection. But that's just my headcanon, just helps me with some issues I had with the creative direction, so no biggie. Forget I even said anything. :P
Obvious bait is bait and you know it.
I'm not baiting, I'm just teasing. I'm trying to humorously point out why I think what you're saying is a bit silly.
Last edited by KaijuCanuck on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:
KaijuCanuck wrote:You'd really a hope a family died just because they might be bland and boring, but are basically still good people?
Yes especially too they were also emotionless robots. That would make up for the main lead Gareth had given us instead of Joe.
Gareth didn't write the film, my dude, he only directed it.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

I officially take back my headcanon. Honestly I don't know what I was thinking tbh. Though I had problems with Ford as the main lead I wouldn't wish this on any good person fiction or not.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

KaijuCanuck wrote: Oh okay, good. PHEW. That's a load off my mind, bud. Thanks so much.

Daggett lies on his death bed, Norbert clasping his hand. He turns to Norbert, tears in his eyes. "Norb," he says. "Come closer." Norbert obliges. He leans in closer. Daggett wheezes, "There's something I should've told you a long time ago." Norbert listens in silence, waiting with bated breath to hear his brother's solemn last words. In his final breath, Daggett screams "SPOOOOOOTTT!" and dies.

-The End-
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

GodzillaFan1990's wrote:I officially take back my headcanon. Honestly I don't know what I was thinking tbh. Though I had problems with Ford as the main lead I wouldn't wish this on any good person fiction or not.
But you've said this multiple, multiple, MULTIPLE times before. So it's not really a matter of "damn, man, I don't know what I was thinking with that post."
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.