"Godzilla 3" - Looking into the next POSSIBLE solo Godzilla outing

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

"Godzilla 3" - Looking into the next POSSIBLE solo Godzilla outing

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

With everything going into hyper drive when it comes to G:KoTM and also 2020's Godzilla vs. Kong, it seems the franchise has no chance of slowing down. While rights and everything have to be squared away with Toho following the clash of the giants in '20, if both these movies go strong, it seems more than likely Toho and Legendary would continue pumping out Monsterverse titles. So while we do have a "future of the Monsterverse" thread, I feel this topic should still be warranted. If only because the director of KoTM himself has weighed in and straight up said he wants to be involved in the possible "Godzilla 3."

https://screenrant.com/godzilla-3-biollante-gigan/

Biollante and Gigan? It wouldn't be too hard to tie "new" origins for these two together, both being completely unnatural creatures. Monarch Anti-Godzilla/Kaiju weapons gone rogue? Who knows. All I do know is I really hope this comes together.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: "Godzilla 3" - Looking into the next POSSIBLE solo Godzilla outing

Post by LegendZilla »

I think they should introduce an offspring of Godzilla. So long as it isn’t along the lines of Minya.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LegendZilla wrote:I think they should introduce an offspring of Godzilla. So long as it isn’t along the lines of Minya.
The only negative with Minya is that he's butt ugly. Otherwise, his quirky personality would be quite enjoyable to see in a modern movie. Hopefully Legendary Godzilla's more of the compassionate type of parent like the Heisei one :P

If a "Godzilla 3" happens, my hope is that any previously-introduced MonsterVerse monsters/Titans (who manage to live beyond GvsKong) appear more frequently, while any new faces are slowly introduced.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

I would love to see another Godzilla solo movie assuming the Monsterverse continues. Imo Biollante and Anguirus could work really well as Monsterverse Titans- Bio especially would fit nicely with the whole "humanity vs nature" theme they appear to be going for.
Though some new, original faces would be pretty nice too :)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I wouldn't mind a return of the Son of Godzilla, but I would hope he'd be closer in design to what the Heisei series did with Baby and Junior rather than going cartoony in a Minilla/Little direction.

But if we're going to bring back old monsters, the top of my list would be Anguiras, Gigan, Biollante, and Hedorah, all monsters I desperately want to see again.

I also want Gorosauras, but that might be asking too much, lol.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

If they do give Godzilla a child, it should be done by cloning him in a lab.

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

I imagine they would just do a juvenile of the LPG design.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

One thing I hope is assuming it continues that they move away from the realism/naturalism as the Showa series did. Only so much that can be done besides prehistoric leftovers.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

I imagine it would be hard to surpass GvK at least in the public eyes concerning an epic kaiju fight so I wouldn't mind seeing the threat in this film be something "smaller". Perhaps a swarm of Kamacuras or Megaguirus.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

We get a Godzilla Junior, I want it to have a design more in line with Junior, but Minilla's personality. (aka actually having one outside of "cute animal")

RIP Evan.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I'm surprised to see how many people would be cool with Godzilla having an offspring in the MonsterVerse.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

cloverfan98 wrote:I imagine it would be hard to surpass GvK at least in the public eyes concerning an epic kaiju fight so I wouldn't mind seeing the threat in this film be something "smaller". Perhaps a swarm of Kamacuras or Megaguirus.
I could see that. I think the threat would still have to be a physical threat to Godzilla, to keep the dramatic tension - but maybe the stakes could be lower. Like the enemy kaiju is threatening a small island village or something.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Dr. Professor wrote:I'm surprised to see how many people would be cool with Godzilla having an offspring in the MonsterVerse.
Not that it’s an inherently bad idea.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

LegendZilla wrote:
Dr. Professor wrote:I'm surprised to see how many people would be cool with Godzilla having an offspring in the MonsterVerse.
Not that it’s an inherently bad idea.
I know. I just figured a lot of people wouldn't like it for the MonsterVerse.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:
cloverfan98 wrote:I imagine it would be hard to surpass GvK at least in the public eyes concerning an epic kaiju fight so I wouldn't mind seeing the threat in this film be something "smaller". Perhaps a swarm of Kamacuras or Megaguirus.
I could see that. I think the threat would still have to be a physical threat to Godzilla, to keep the dramatic tension - but maybe the stakes could be lower. Like the enemy kaiju is threatening a small island village or something.
It could still be high stakes but presented in a smaller fashion. I would think Hedorah would be a perfect match for this kind of role. He'd be a perfect threat to all humanity and present an interesting physical challenge to Godzilla without him being able to wrestle with it in a traditional sense like KG or Kong. Alternatively Destroyah could fit this role too but my gut says he's the big bad in GvK that forces them to work together.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here’s another idea : Why not have the next film actually end on a lower note?

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I mean...this isn't happening right?

Like no matter how much some fans want the MonsterVerse to continue...
it finishes with Godzilla vs. Kong right?
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Grievous wrote:I mean...this isn't happening right?

Like no matter how much some fans want the MonsterVerse to continue...
it finishes with Godzilla vs. Kong right?
Possibly, but not conclusively. It's important to mention that nowhere was it stated that GvK will be the last Monsterverse film- not even in the official synopsis. If they see profit in that, nothing stops them from renewing the license. As of now, anything is possible in that regard.

While I won't mind if it ends after GvK, if it doesn't...then where's the problem? The more Godzilla, the merrier :)
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

If both KOTM/GVk Make a decent profit then Toho as a business would probably want to think and hammer things out with Legendary, never say never.

However, one big issue is that they clearly want to make their own Godzilla films. Perhaps release some stuff in the gap between Godzilla vs Kong and the next film after that? Keep in mind while Legendary is expanding and had other IPs, Godzilla is sortve the franchise that got them independent.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

marcdrac
GPN Volunteer

Post by marcdrac »

I think we should also think about the 14 unknown Kaijus that will appear in Godzilla 2, as they can give juice for franchising.