Kaiju Fan Confessions

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Kaiju Fan Confessions

Post by Grievous »

UltramanGoji wrote:I would rather the MonsterVerse end
Yep...

4 films is fine.

Let Toho have their rights back & lets see what they can cook up.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Um, Toho already has been cooking stuff up?

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

2004Zilla wrote:Um, Toho already has been cooking stuff up?
Oh I'm sorry...I should have been more specific.

Let Toho have their rights back & lets see what they can cook up...
AFTER THE MONSTERVRSE IS DONE & DUSTED.

How was that?

Do you comprehend what I'm saying now?
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

What difference does it make if there's a Monsteverse or not? lol

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

2004Zilla wrote:What difference does it make if there's a Monsteverse or not? lol
Because as long as the Monsterverse is the main menu at the Kaiju restaurant, anything that Toho may cook has to stay at the oven
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

ManuJM1997 wrote:
2004Zilla wrote:What difference does it make if there's a Monsteverse or not? lol
Because as long as the Monsterverse is the main menu at the Kaiju restaurant, anything that Toho may cook has to stay at the oven
But... they literally made Shin Godzilla and the anime trilogy, is there something I'm missing here?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

2004Zilla wrote: But... they literally made Shin Godzilla and the anime trilogy, is there something I'm missing here?
Shinji Higuchi stated at G-FEST 2017 that Shin was made under a loophole in Legendary's contract.

As you can see by the chart, the sequel was originally meant to come out in 2018. It was postponed and so Shin was able to be released. Higuchi also said that if KOTM wasn't postponed, they would still be working on Shin.

The anime films are likely another result of the loophole. They're both...well, animated and also limited theatrical releases in Japan. They likely don't fall under the same restrictions that Shin would've had.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Well, if the quality's going to be as good as Shin Godzilla then I'm all for Toho getting the license back too.

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

The cream of the crop of the genre include: Godzilla (1954), Mothra vs Godzilla, Gamera III, Shin Godzilla, Godzilla vs Hedorah, GMK, Monster Zero, Gamera: Guardian of the Universe, and Godzilla 2000 (American).
Last edited by kamilleblu on Fri Jan 04, 2019 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ Not much of a confession. Those are all fairly standard favorites.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Leviarex
JXSDF Technician

Post by Leviarex »

Even though from what I've read, the second anime Godzilla movie is an improvement (in some areas) over the first one, I'm never going to watch it or 'Planet Eater' .

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I think the human scenes in Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster are a lot better than the monster scenes. I'm all for silly monster scenes, but unfortunately with this film I think they really clash with the serious tone of the human story. I think that Ghidorah has the one of the most interesting human stories of the whole franchise, but I honestly think they dragged the film down by playing most of the monster stuff silly.
Last edited by Dr. Professor on Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

^ I felt like they struck a pretty good balance, really. Yes, the monster scenes are mostly silly, with some notable exceptions such as Mothra's attempt to take on Ghidorah alone, but you still feel how serious the stakes are.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

Dr. Professor wrote:I think the human scenes in Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster are a lot better than the monster scenes. I'm all for silly monster scenes, but unfortunately with this film I think they really clash with the serious tone of the human story. I think that Ghidorah has the one of the most interesting human stories of the whole franchise, but I honestly think they dragged the film down by playing most of the monster stuff silly.
Dr. Professor, my arch nemesis, back to your old tricks I see. You just gotta dislike everything I like. Not today villain, not today. As Jagzilla said it has a nice balance to it to distract from the seriousness of the human plot.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:
2004Zilla wrote: But... they literally made Shin Godzilla and the anime trilogy, is there something I'm missing here?
Shinji Higuchi stated at G-FEST 2017 that Shin was made under a loophole in Legendary's contract.

As you can see by the chart, the sequel was originally meant to come out in 2018. It was postponed and so Shin was able to be released. Higuchi also said that if KOTM wasn't postponed, they would still be working on Shin.

The anime films are likely another result of the loophole. They're both...well, animated and also limited theatrical releases in Japan. They likely don't fall under the same restrictions that Shin would've had.
Maybe that’s why a lot of the monsters are also “legally distinct”. Like sure yeah Godzilla looks similar, but his powers and origin are the most far removed you can get from Shin. In addition, Ghidorah’s design is radically different, and well Mothra doesn’t even really appear. Rodan also just appears as bones. Maybe that’s also why such an outlandish setting for the anime was decided on.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

monintoho
Ronin

Re: Your Fan Confessions

Post by monintoho »

DrKaiju1954 wrote:I sing along to the Mothra prayer thing
Same lol, I can't help my self

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I really wish that old PS2 game War of the Monsters did better. It was a fantastic game and the kaiju in it were far more original and interesting than anything since the 90s

KaijuCanuck
Futurian

Post by KaijuCanuck »

Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster is fun, but compared to everything else of that era, kinda weak.

goji89
Sazer

Post by goji89 »

KaijuCanuck wrote:Ghidorah the Three Headed Monster is fun, but compared to everything else of that era, kinda weak.
Choose your next words wisely Canadian.

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

Spoiler:
I don't like the more traditional part of Anime Ghidorah. I see what they're going for with the new noodle necks and the bug face but then I see what's basicaly a normal Ghidorah body attached to it and it just doesn't work for me. Honestly, would have prefered just noodle necks the whole movie or at least an attempt to change the rest of the body.

RIP Evan.