Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Would you like to see Mechagodzilla?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 59

JGAR
Futurian

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Post by JGAR »

^No one will say that :lol: :roll:

Mecha-Godzilla predates both of them and not only that; we don’t know how they’ll adapt him on film. Even if it’s a mech similar to Pacific Rim (which out of the 3 is the most deserving of being called a rip off), it won’t matter because they already did that approach with Mecha G in the Heisei and Millenium era.
Last edited by JGAR on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yooo 8-)

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

JGAR wrote: both films flopped (with the first one being a success).
ROFL

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Thunderbird wrote:
ROFL
Did you just change what I wrote?

Yooo 8-)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

JGAR wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:
ROFL

He took it out of context and ignored the main part of your post, that the first was successful in China.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

JGAR wrote:Mecha-Godzilla predates both of them.
If the GA remembers Toho's Mecha G at all, they will inevitably make comparisons between a new CGI version that battles Godzilla and the CGI Jaegers battling kaiju in PR. They won't care about the history of the character. Their first impression of Mecha G in action will likely be "Oh, this is like that other robot movie".

Added in 2 minutes 4 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
JGAR wrote:
Thunderbird wrote:
ROFL

He took it out of context and ignored the main part of your post, that the first was successful in China.
Flop and success can never be attributed to the same subject. Those are absolutes.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Thunderbird wrote:
JGAR wrote:Mecha-Godzilla predates both of them.
If the GA remembers Toho's Mecha G at all, they will inevitably make comparisons between a new CGI version that battles Godzilla and the CGI Jaegers battling kaiju in PR. They won't care about the history of the character. Their first impression of Mecha G in action will likely be "Oh, this is like that other robot movie".

Added in 2 minutes 4 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
JGAR wrote:

Flop and success can never be attributed to the same subject. Those are absolutes.
Sure when you take them out of context. He clearly said it was a flop in the states, but the first was a success in China. Maybe his wording could have been a bit better, but his point was still clear.
Last edited by Maritonic on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

Maritonic wrote: his wording could have been a bit better
Hence the laughter.

PR recouped its costs and profited just enough to risk a sequel. Legit flops earn below cost and never spawn sequels under any circumstances.

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

The film flopped everywhere except in China. On a budget of $190M, a $410M worldwide total is, at best, a modest hit. Getting a sequel greenlit was a huge risk since there just wasn’t any appeal outside of Chinese audiences (who didn’t come back to see the sequel). Pacific Rim just didn’t capture audiences.

Godzilla, on the other hand, has the name recognition and legacy, and the divisive 2014 film still pulled in $100M+ more on a lower budget than the ‘critically acclaimed’ Pacific Rim. It made a bit less in China, but that was because Transformers: Age of Extinction came out 2 weeks later and occupied 95% of all Chinese cinemas at the time.

And on topic, whether you want to believe it or not, a Mecha-Godzilla is just more appealing than anything out of Pacific Rim. The concept of an evil, robotic version of Godzilla is more exciting, similar to comparing Venom to Spider-Man for example. Audiences won’t be complaining about a rip off, because if you look closely at many of the major blockbusters currently in theaters and in recent years, they’re all borrowing plot elements from each other. Beams in the skies, cinematic universes, more female protagonists, rightful heirs fighting for the throne (Black Panther >The Lion King >Aquaman), and no one is complaining about it.
Last edited by JGAR on Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:40 am, edited 2 times in total.
Yooo 8-)

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Granted there are always a handful of blissfully ignorant people, but there is no way the bulk of audiences are going to see a Mechagodzilla and react with "rip off!". I can't fathom that. The concept of Mechagodzilla is pretty well known in pop culture.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

JGAR wrote:On a budget of $190M, a $410M worldwide total is, at best, a modest hit.
Exactly. Not a flop.

Flops lose money for studios and for investors. PR clearly did not.

Regardless, in terms of capturing audience interest, monsters vs mechs is played out thanks to PR. If Jaegers didn't bring them back a second time, a Jaeger shaped like a dinosaur won't either.

jayson
Samurai

Post by jayson »

It seems that the argument for people that want MechaGodzilla is to just add him because they like him while throwing logic out the window. As I said before, I'd love to see the metal doppelganger but it just doesn't make sense. If you continue the movies past 2020, are you saying that they should jump a hundred years (more likely 300+ based on reality) just to fit what people want?

Also I don't know how old most of you are but when Godzilla vs Destroyah was released in Japan, Western fans and non fans alike could actually hear about it on regular news and news papers as it was a pretty big deal and "Godzilla dies" was a common headline. I even saved one of the news clippings!

As a child we had the Hanna Barbara show which is what introduced me to Godzilla along with my Mattel Shogun warriors toys. During that time up until now, western releases of comic books, toys, video games, t- shirts, tv showings and home video to name a few, has been done to keep recognition alive and to that extent the universe surrounding him. Destroyah isn't that obscure imo.

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

Did folks scream "RIPOFF!" at RPO's MechaGodzilla?
. . .

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

jayson wrote: Also I don't know how old most of you are but when Godzilla vs Destroyah was released in Japan, Western fans and non fans alike could actually hear about it on regular news and news papers as it was a pretty big deal and "Godzilla dies" was a common headline. I even saved one of the news clippings!
But that didn't have anything to do with Destoroyah itself (just like the movie!). It was a big deal that Godzilla died for real, which is what made headlines.

Destoroyah is a niche kaiju. Very niche. It's nowhere near the same level of recognition as Mothra, Rodan, or even King Ghidorah. Sure, it makes headlines on fandom news sites but that really isn't the level of recognition most people here seem to think it is.

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

UltramanGoji wrote:
jayson wrote: Also I don't know how old most of you are but when Godzilla vs Destroyah was released in Japan, Western fans and non fans alike could actually hear about it on regular news and news papers as it was a pretty big deal and "Godzilla dies" was a common headline. I even saved one of the news clippings!
But that didn't have anything to do with Destoroyah itself (just like the movie!). It was a big deal that Godzilla died for real, which is what made headlines.
Nope, Jayson is right. CNN named and described Destroyah in their coverage of that film's release, featured him prominently and sold him as an end boss in their newscast via footage of the final battle. You never saw enemy kaijus like Mechagodzilla, Orga, Gigan, etc get that kind of international exposure. Ever.
Last edited by Thunderbird on Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

I really hope Kong vs. Godzilla is the MonsterVerse endgame, personally. But I'm likely the only one.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Thunderbird wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Nope, Jayson is right. CNN named and described Destroyah in their coverage of that film's release, featured him prominently and sold him as an end boss in their newscast via footage of the final battle. You never saw enemy kaijus like Mechagodzilla, Orga, Gigan, etc get that kind of international exposure. Ever.
Would love a source for this. Sounds interesting.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Shin Gabara
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shin Gabara »

Maritonic wrote:I really hope Kong vs. Godzilla is the MonsterVerse endgame, personally. But I'm likely the only one.
No, same here. I'm eager to see what Toho themselves are gonna do.
. . .

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, sorry. This in no way features Destoroyah "prominently" nor does it paint him as an "end boss". They mention him when describing the film's plot and link him more with the Oxygen Destroyer than as his own separate monster.

Like I said, it focuses more on the impact of Godzilla's death and the process behind his last film.

And even if it did feature Destoroyah in the way you claimed it would, you're bonkers if you think the GA is going to remember them because of a few news segments and features from more than two decades ago.

Moogabunga
EDF Instructor

Post by Moogabunga »

Maritonic wrote:I really hope Kong vs. Godzilla is the MonsterVerse endgame, personally. But I'm likely the only one.
Why? i don't get this rush or desire that Toho fanboys have to make Godzilla fall into obscurity again