Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: Talkback Thread #20: Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II (1993)

Post by Godzillian »

Why are you posting here while also posting about how bad the forum is?
eabaker wrote:What's with all this "you guys" business? Pretty sure you were only really having an argument with one person.
I speak for you all, I am your king. Bow :lol:

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

And I, for one, and most definitely no Showa fanboy. I consider the Heisei series to be the best that the entire Godzilla franchise has to offer.

I just consider this particular movie to be the worst that the Heisei series has to offer.

And even then, just like eabaker, I was defending it a few posts ago. Because we can recognize what is good and bad in a film independently of what series it's a part of. Or even independently of whether we like the movie overall. Heck, I'm the guy that defends the majority of Godzilla vs. SpaceGodzilla. :) But this particular film... just didn't work for me.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

G&G-Fan wrote:(and I find it so funny that you guys didn't even respond to my criticism... it's almost as if it's TRUE)
Nobody is interested in arguing against you, since you seem like someone who suffers from a heavy persecution complex. A lot of your posts are awfully loaded with a dislike towards this website and it's community, or "criticisms" which have no bearing on a film's storytelling. For example....
The funny thing is there is a scene in Mothra vs. Godzilla that perfectly fits what you're trying to portray this scene as. After the imago Mothra is dead, the Shobijin suddenly go "Oh, we can just sing to the egg and it will hatch! No worries!". First of all, why does Godzilla just leave the egg after he kills the adult Mothra? He seemed interested in eating it before, so why doesn't he proceed after he's killed the only thing preventing him from doing so? Second, if they could make the egg hatch at will, why didn't the Shobijin make it hatch earlier so it would wreck Happy Enterprises, teaching them a lesson, and then the larva can go home on it's own. No problem! Third, the fact that the Shobijin can just sing a song to make Mothra hatch is just so out of the blue and not explained. Fourth, how did they get all of the natives of Infant Island to sing along with them and do that whole big ceremony? Did they send an email to them saying "Yo my dudes, how about you start singing along with us!" I love the movie and love the song but come on!

And yet that film gets praised up and down as a masterpiece? Want to know why?

Bias. Guess what? No film is perfect.
You're raising non-issues that have no bearing on what the movie is communicating to it's audience, and then dismissing anybody who doesn't care about them as biased individuals. None of these are faults that would take it's audience out of the story, nor anything you can use as some sort of "gotcha!" to try to deflect criticism against something you like. (Not that you should resort to whataboutisms) If you wanna critique Mothra vs Godzilla, why don't you bring up continuity, effects, or editing errors that do make the film a weaker production? Or any gripes you might have with the film's characterization, structure, directing, etc.

Why don't you ask your Facebook friend what their TK username was, to verify if their story is true?
Last edited by Mr_Goji_and_Watch on Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Wow this thread is getting good!
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

eabaker wrote:Honestly, I don't know if it would be possible for another movie to put us so completely at odds as TLJ does.
That's a fair call...
szmigiel wrote:
Grievous wrote:[So...its The Last Jedi of the Godzilla Franchise?
More like the Highlander 2 the Quickening of the Godzilla Franchise
OH SNAP!!!

He's bringing out the big guns!
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Well then hahah. This definitely got interesting.

I wish people just understood it's okay to like a movie, good or bad, and be done with it. No need to get all uppity about defending it.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Gojirawars 03
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gojirawars 03 »

Grievous wrote:
szmigiel wrote:I think this movie is one you either need to gloss over the plot, make up a lot of headcannon, or just laugh at the absurdity of it all.
So...its The Last Jedi of the Godzilla Franchise?
Do NOT compare this movie to that trash.

*insert Danny Devito meme here*

Added in 3 minutes 14 seconds:
Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
G&G-Fan wrote:(and I find it so funny that you guys didn't even respond to my criticism... it's almost as if it's TRUE)
Nobody is interested in arguing against you, since you seem like someone who suffers from a heavy persecution complex. A lot of your posts are awfully loaded with a dislike towards this website and it's community, or "criticisms" which have no bearing on a film's storytelling. For example....
The funny thing is there is a scene in Mothra vs. Godzilla that perfectly fits what you're trying to portray this scene as. After the imago Mothra is dead, the Shobijin suddenly go "Oh, we can just sing to the egg and it will hatch! No worries!". First of all, why does Godzilla just leave the egg after he kills the adult Mothra? He seemed interested in eating it before, so why doesn't he proceed after he's killed the only thing preventing him from doing so? Second, if they could make the egg hatch at will, why didn't the Shobijin make it hatch earlier so it would wreck Happy Enterprises, teaching them a lesson, and then the larva can go home on it's own. No problem! Third, the fact that the Shobijin can just sing a song to make Mothra hatch is just so out of the blue and not explained. Fourth, how did they get all of the natives of Infant Island to sing along with them and do that whole big ceremony? Did they send an email to them saying "Yo my dudes, how about you start singing along with us!" I love the movie and love the song but come on!

And yet that film gets praised up and down as a masterpiece? Want to know why?

Bias. Guess what? No film is perfect.
You're raising non-issues that have no bearing on what the movie is communicating to it's audience, and then dismissing anybody who doesn't care about them as biased individuals. None of these are faults that would take it's audience out of the story, nor anything you can use as some sort of "gotcha!" to try to deflect criticism against something you like. (Not that you should resort to whataboutisms) If you wanna critique Mothra vs Godzilla, why don't you bring up continuity, effects, or editing errors that do make the film a weaker production? Or any gripes you might have with the film's characterization, structure, directing, etc.

Why don't you ask your Facebook friend what their TK username was, to verify if their story is true?
My friend G&G and I both love this movie to death. The difference between me and him is that I think I better understand where the film's critics are coming from. I guess I can just see the other side better, and don't wall off any negative opinions on it. No offense G&G, but sometimes you seem to get really touchy anytime anyone brings up criticisms of the Heisei films.
"The time has come, finally, to put our technology to the final test."
-Dr. Asimov

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8S9Rq ... r78nzbs-FQ

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Silly headcanon from this movie and the rest of the Heisei series. The psychic plant song is kind of an earworm to the psychics that learned it. They find themselves humming it from time to time over the next 2 years. It is this humming that causes baby to grow into little, then into junior, in just 2 years time. It also is what really caused Godzilla to go meltdown. It could also be what drew Spacegodzilla to Earth.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Okay, I'm going to be completely damn honest here I do NOT remember any psychic plant song in this movie. This is usually one of the ones I pop in all the time, too (I'm a sucker for the score for this one). So, someone please remind me what I missed the last time I drunk-watched this?
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Maritonic wrote:Okay, I'm going to be completely damn honest here I do NOT remember any psychic plant song in this movie. This is usually one of the ones I pop in all the time, too (I'm a sucker for the score for this one). So, someone please remind me what I missed the last time I drunk-watched this?
Aoki pockets a plant sample when he sneaks into the lab and meets Azusa. Miki senses it has a strong aura (or something) when he shows it to her in the G-Force commissary. They take it to a psychic research center (this is the scene with the Cosmos actresses and Tadao Takashima cameos) and the psychic girls gather around the sample to "read" it. The girls translate it into the wordless song that, when played at the lab in Kyoto, causes Baby to hatch from his egg. It's the same song that the psychic girls sing in Baby's pen, accidentally riling him up (and unknown to the characters, revives Rodan). An instrumental arrangement plays over the end credits as well.
Last edited by Terasawa on Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Terasawa wrote:
Maritonic wrote:Okay, I'm going to be completely damn honest here I do NOT remember any psychic plant song in this movie. This is usually one of the ones I pop in all the time, too (I'm a sucker for the score for this one). So, someone please remind me what I missed the last time I drunk-watched this?
Aoki pockets a plant sample when he sneaks into the lab and meets Azusa. Miki senses it has a strong aura (or something) when he shows it to her in the G-Force commissary. They take it to a psychic research center (this is the scene with the Cosmos actresses and Tadao Takashima cameos) and the psychic girls gather around the sample to "read" it. The girls translate it into the wordless song that, when played at the lab in Kyoto, causes Baby hatch from his egg. It's the same song that the psychic girls sing in Baby's pen, riling him up (and unknown to the characters, revives Rodan). An instrumental arrangement plays over the end credits as well.
Oh fuck that's right! I remember that now. Thanks!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

https://imgur.com/a/ZVdwGRp
Here is screen caps of the 1st time it is played when it cause Baby to hatch and summons Godzilla
https://imgur.com/gallery/sCDtLaI
Here is the 2nd time when the Children sing, baby goes a little bonkers and Rodan is resurrected as Fire Rodan.

It's kind of a major plot point of the film.

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

szmigiel wrote:https://imgur.com/a/ZVdwGRp
Here is screen caps of the 1st time it is played when it cause Baby to hatch and summons Godzilla
https://imgur.com/gallery/sCDtLaI
Here is the 2nd time when the Children sing, baby goes a little bonkers and Rodan is resurrected as Fire Rodan.

It's kind of a major plot point of the film.
And I kinda said I forgot about it and asked for a refresher, and once I was reminded, I remembered.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The psychic plant song was a major plot point, but it was also never really explained or touched upon. It’s sortve this mysterious thing that just happens.

Strangely enough, when Godzilla Junior is dying, Godzilla sortve starts to glow and “breathes” some sort of pink energy/Fire into Junior. I’m wondering if maybe Godzilla has some sort of telepathic communication going on, and actually the psychics are tapping into the same force. Like someone also said earlier it would tie into the psychic abilities of SG.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:The psychic plant song was a major plot point, but it was also never really explained or touched upon. It’s sortve this mysterious thing that just happens.

Strangely enough, when Godzilla Junior is dying, Godzilla sortve starts to glow and “breathes” some sort of pink energy/Fire into Junior. I’m wondering if maybe Godzilla has some sort of telepathic communication going on, and actually the psychics are tapping into the same force. Like someone also said earlier it would tie into the psychic abilities of SG.
I think that scene was Godzilla trying to revive JR with radiation? Idk but still a sad scene

Anguirus
Gotengo Officer

Post by Anguirus »

This is the Heisei film I have watched the most. The soundtrack, fight scenes, return of Rodan, and Baby Godzilla make this a great film in my opinion. Also has my favorite Mechagodzilla design.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

The return of Rodan is completely undermined by how dreadful and stiff his puppet looks.

Added in 16 days 7 hours 12 minutes 19 seconds:
Found an interesting analysis of GvMG2

*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Gothra
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gothra »

Stump Feet wrote:The return of Rodan is completely undermined by how dreadful and stiff his puppet looks.

Added in 16 days 7 hours 12 minutes 19 seconds:
Found an interesting analysis of GvMG2

This is a weird take. Godzilla is a tragic character by nature.
Within the Heisei era Return of Godzilla and Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah both go out of their way to give Godzilla moments where you're meant to sympathize with him, so it's not new for this iteration of Godzilla. In this video the guy seems to forget that and forget that Godzilla is an animal and ultimately a victim of humanity. Even in Gojira his death is treated as something sad.
I always thought it was pretty clear that what starts to change peoples' minds about Godzilla is seeing what he possibly once was/witnessing a previously unseen nurturing instinct that makes him easier to empathize with.

Whole video comes off as a typical attempt at writing off the Heisei sieries if I'm being honest.

Also always felt like that final shot of Godzilla and Minya in Son of Godzilla was unearned because to my millennial eyes Godzilla is an abusive father in that movie. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Last edited by Gothra on Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

What frustrates me about this movie is Mechagodzilla was originally planned to do SOME tooth & claw fighting but the stuff they made the suit out of was too frail and keep falling apart so he was reduced to exclusively being a mobile turret.

So if you ever wondered why Heisei Mechagodzilla seems to know some hand to hand combat in the video games, there's your answer. He was supposed to be a mostly long ranger fighter who does some punches, not be only a long range fighter.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

Unfortunately I haven't seen the original Japanese version of this film, so I can't give a definitive answer on how I feel about the original version due to not knowing how different it might be.

As for where it currently stands, I love it.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image