Rant: MCU/DCU/JW Comparisons

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Re: Rant: MCU/DCU/JW Comparisons

Post by Grievous »

zilla92 wrote:I want one comparison. SUCCESS. I’d kill for the Monsterverse to own 2019 and 2020 beating out all the others. They’re all just fun movies and we should just enjoy the ride. This is a wonderful time to be alive. At least for this 42 year old kid. Lol
HEAR HEAR!!!

This 36 year old kid agrees.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

zilla92
Monarch Researcher

Post by zilla92 »

Grievous wrote:
zilla92 wrote:I want one comparison. SUCCESS. I’d kill for the Monsterverse to own 2019 and 2020 beating out all the others. They’re all just fun movies and we should just enjoy the ride. This is a wonderful time to be alive. At least for this 42 year old kid. Lol
HEAR HEAR!!!

This 36 year old kid agrees.
See we are old and wise Grievous ;)

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

zilla92 wrote:See we are old and wise Grievous ;)
Its like they say...

You're only as old as the woman you feel...

I mean you're only as old as you feel.

:thumbsup:

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Gojira18 wrote: To be fair, the MonsterVerse did get to the $1 billion mark with just two movies while the MCU took three. And the overall quality of the films have been better and more consistent than the DCEU films. So I'd say it's holding its own
Yeah but by the time G14 came out nerd based films had already proven their worth at the box office both critically and financially. Phase 1 MCU was at the very beginning of it. In some ways I doubt G14 would have done near as well without the MCU (and The Dark Knight) opening the floodgates.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

zilla92
Monarch Researcher

Post by zilla92 »

Grievous wrote:
zilla92 wrote:See we are old and wise Grievous ;)
Its like they say...

You're only as old as the woman you feel...

I mean you're only as old as you feel.

Ha ha ha. Ut oh. My girlfriend is 9 years older than me. I’m
In trouble. Lol :lol:

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

zilla92 wrote:Ha ha ha. Ut oh. My girlfriend is 9 years older than me. I’m
In trouble. Lol :lol:
Oh...well...

*Thinks*

I'm just glad there are some older members around here.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Its only natural to compare all the big blockbusters since everybody is kind of/sort of trying to do the same thing (Use a previously existing brand to create a shared cinematic universe).

Personally, I think the MonsterVerse is, so far, one of the better ones. The DCEU has been digging itself out of the hole that Zack Snyder and WB dug them into, JW's 1st two movies are just loud and dumb, Star Wars is oversaturating its brand and TLJ was met with, at best, a mixed reaction, and the less said about The Dark Universe, the better. Oh and Disney remaking all its animated films into live action to cash in on nostalgia...its irritating.

Marvel is the standard bearer right now, but so far, we have gotten two entertaining films from Godzilla and Kong, and the MonsterVerse has done a good job of building anticipation and speculation for what is to come. Godzilla 2 looks like it is going to be a wild one.

But I don't need box office success to validate that I like something. It'd be nice if Godzilla totally stole the show and got Marvel level numbers, but I only need it to do well enough to warrant making more high quality movies. Personally, I think the Planet of the Apes films were the best blockbustery films out there that were following the "Reboot something old and make a big movie series out of it" formula, but they never got the huge numbers that Marvel and others have gotten. But they were awesome and I know they were great and that's all that matters.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

GojiDog wrote: But I don't need box office success to validate that I like something.
Bingo!

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

If Mechagodzilla showing up to wipe out both Godzilla and Kong does happen, then it's really going to be interesting to see how that will be compared to how Lex unleashed cave troll that was supposed to be Doomsday in order to wipe out both Snyderman and Batman in BvS.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Rhedosaurus wrote:If Mechagodzilla showing up to wipe out both Godzilla and Kong does happen, then it's really going to be interesting to see how that will be compared to how Lex unleashed cave troll that was supposed to be Doomsday in order to wipe out both Snyderman and Batman in BvS.
Oh God...

I think I'd vomit if that happened.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Grievous wrote:
Rhedosaurus wrote:If Mechagodzilla showing up to wipe out both Godzilla and Kong does happen, then it's really going to be interesting to see how that will be compared to how Lex unleashed cave troll that was supposed to be Doomsday in order to wipe out both Snyderman and Batman in BvS.
Oh God...

I think I'd vomit if that happened.

I wouldn't like those comparisons myself either, but I think it would happen, provided what I and many others believe does happen.