Hedorah vs. Destroyah: Godzilla’s Deadliest Foe

For discussions covering more than one Toho film or show that span across more than one “era.”

Who’s The Deadliest?

Hedorah
66%
Destroyah
34%

Total votes: 53

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Hedorah vs. Destroyah: Godzilla’s Deadliest Foe

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

So there’s been a bit of a fan debate going on for years about who’s the greater threat to Godzilla, Hedorah or Destroyah, it’s been so back and fourth in fact, I thought it deserved its own thread to debate the matter.

So who’s the real big bad here? Discuss below who always felt more dangerous to you.

In my opinion, Destroyah can’t even compare to Hedorah, but what do you think?
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Godzilla21
Keizer

Re: Hedorah vs. Destroyah: Godzilla’s Deadliest Foe

Post by Godzilla21 »

Good topic. For me it's not even close. Hedorah was probably Godzilla's most dynamic enemy.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Godzilla21 wrote:Good topic. For me it's not even close. Hedorah was probably Godzilla's most dynamic enemy.
I agree, I always felt they sold the global threat of Hedorah very solidly in his debut movie.
And at least Godzilla could fight off Destroyah, Godzilla just looks helpless when he fights Hedorah…
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Noble Saber
Xilien Halfling

Post by Noble Saber »

Hedorah, but Destoroyah looks infinitely more cooler.

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

I like them both. A lot. But I'll vote Destoroyah since he apparently could use a little more love here. lol
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

Hedorah is far more threatening. There wasn't one moment where I thought Destoroyah posed an actual threat. Meanwhile Hedorah could have turned Godzilla to bone with it's sheer acidity. Besides, those striking red eyes are way more imposing than Destoroyah's sheer mass.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

Spydrmanjr
Monarch Researcher

Post by Spydrmanjr »

Hedorah is one of the few kaiju I felt was a global threat if left unchecked. Most other kaiju are mind controlled or had singular motives (fight/kill Godzilla or survive in general). Hedorah just ate pollution and kept growing and growing. His mere presence was toxic and killed hundreds.

Destoroyah just felt like a plot device in his own movie; a way to shoehorn a fight in the "final" Godzilla film. Nothing about the Oxygen Destroyer really came about beyond the soil the crustaceans lived in. It was not like Tokyo Bay was slowly killing all marine life or Destoroyah's presence/existence was like a walking Oxygen Destroyer.

I'm a huge fan of the concept and idea of Destoroyah but let's be real, his execution was lackluster. He suffered from being in the final film of the Hesei series, a series that became rushed and sub-par. All of the hype around Destoroyah comes from his edgy look, video game descriptions/bios, and us Godzilla fans creating head canon or seeing the potential of something greater than what we actually got. Nothing

Gojira2K
EDF Instructor

Post by Gojira2K »

I think Hedorah is definitely the more deadly and unique, ability wise. But in my opinion Destoroyah has the better design, even though it could be a lot better than it currently is.
Twelfth Brother, Jedi Killer
Brazilian Moviegoers
Spoiler:
G2000 wrote:
KinoKaiser wrote:Is the Brazil market big or something?
Definitely, there's like a Brazilian moviegoers there
TK Park
Spoiler:
_JNavs_ wrote:
goji89 wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote: Dun dun
dun dun
dah dah dah
da da
da dunnnnnnnnn

*Giant BARAGONBREH comes out of the woods and roars*

*A bunch of Goji89s run across the screen in packs" :lol:
Go faster! *Baragonbreh in mirror is closer than he appears*
*Baragonbreh sneaks up on 3 unsuspecting New TK user raptors and just mauls them before disappearing*

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

In the context of the films themselves, as in what was demonstrated on film and not by what ancillary media states, Hedorah is one of Godzilla's biggest challenges and required human intervention to be defeated.

Destoroyah, on the other hand, is not. Their only claim to fame is killing Godzilla Junior and...well, that's it really.

Keep in mind, I like Destoroyah. I like their design and their origin is unique and interesting. Those concepts just...weren't put to fruition well in the movie.

In fact, I'm going to actually watch the battle right now as I'm typing this and add what exactly Destoroyah did that could be considered "a challenge".

- They blast Godzilla with the Micro-Oxygen beam and Godzilla falls down. A few moments later, Godzilla gets right back up.
- They knock over Godzilla while the two...hug? Shove each other?
- They drag Godzilla by their tail and...drop him into the water. Godzilla gets right back up from this, practically unscathed.
- The infamous Laser Horn scene! Godzilla actually does get cut up pretty badly and reels back in pain...but then just goes straight into blasting Destoroyah with his heat beam. This exchange actually results in Destoroyah taking considerably much more damage than Godzilla and even breaking down into their Aggregate forms.
- Speaking of, the Aggregate forms nibble at Godzilla's ankles and eventually cause him to topple over by swarming him (one at a time, though) which Godzilla gets right back up from, naturally. Also I guess they drain his atomic energy or something because he flashes a blue beam a few times but it goes completely unexplained so there's no point in trying to figure out what it means.
- Destoroyah blasts Godzilla with their Micro-Oxygen beam after the latter mourns Junior's death. It...does nothing.
- Destoroyah grabs Godzilla with their tail...and actually does something! Apparently, it drains energy or something because Godzilla's burns fade out a few times. They then toss him into a building before Godzilla stands back up again immediately (they really don't know how to do tension well in these fights).

It's at this point that Godzilla starts to physically melt down and his heat ray becomes more powerful. Destoroyah gets hit twice with it, leaving visible damage as soon as they try to escape. That's, of course, when the military shoots them down with their freezer guns and the monster is never seen again.

So honestly? At the beginning of this post, I said Destoroyah wasn't a big challenge and...really, they kind of were.

But...being a challenge isn't a unique trait to Destoroyah. SpaceGodzilla, Mechagodzilla, Mothra & Battra, Ghidorah, all the Heisei villains more-or-less had an advantage over Godzilla and properly bashed him around a few times. That's just how the Godzilla films work. He fights an enemy, looks like he's about to lose, and then bounces back for the dramatic victory. It's basic storytelling, really.

Hedorah and Destoroyah were both kaiju that required human intervention to defeat, but Hedorah is the only one that was defeated by Godzilla and humanity simultaneously. Godzilla activates the electrodes with his atomic breath to dry out Hedorah. In GvD, Destoroyah is severely wounded by Godzilla's atomic breath and tries to flee but is shot down by the military.

Destoroyah also had the disadvantage of being in a story that didn't revolve around them. Whether or not they were even in the movie, Godzilla would have died anyway. The story is about Godzilla's death more than it is about Godzilla facing Destoroyah. The climax of the film does not revolve around Destoroyah's death, but Godzilla's.

I think I've rambled on enough, but hopefully you see my point. While Destoroyah is somewhat of a challenge for Godzilla, they're ultimately nothing extraordinary in the grand scheme of the Heisei films. I'll do another one of these "live analysis" for Hedorah's fight sometime later.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sat Jan 05, 2019 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I recognize that Godzilla's burning state may skew the impressions of difficulty level, but I would actually see SpaceGodzilla as a greater threat than Destroyah; he seemed to require more intervention and assistance from humanity, he wasn't put to flight, and he seemed to be able to absorb a lot more punishment- and potentially, to dish it out as well. I'd have a lot more trouble choosing between him and Hedorah. But to echo others here, Destroyah just doesn't come off all that deadly in practice.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

<Hedorah has more votes then Destoryah

Hedorah is and always will be one of Godzilla's ultimate opponents to me, with Mechagodzilla and King Ghidorah. He's a lovably evil monster who hurts Godzilla just by Godzilla attacking him, let alone Hedorah's own attacks. Destroyah is only an ultimate foe due to his (barely utilized) orgins, the ways he is a counterpoint to Godzilla, and the personal feelings involved with him killing Junior.

Hedorah all the way, boys.
Last edited by SoggyNoodles2016 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RIP Evan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Zarm wrote:I recognize that Godzilla's burning state may skew the impressions of difficulty level, but I would actually see SpaceGodzilla as a greater threat than Destroyah; he seemed to require more intervention and assistance from humanity, he wasn't put to flight, and he seemed to be able to absorb a lot more punishment- and potentially, to dish it out as well. I'd have a lot more trouble choosing between him and Hedorah. But to echo others here, Destroyah just doesn't come off all that deadly in practice.
I actually agree with this.

SpaceGodzilla was an overarching threat in his movie. He showed up on Birth Island in the beginning and brutally beat Godzilla and captured Little G. The whole rest of the movie is Godzilla making his way to Fukuoka to stop SpaceGodzilla. SpaceG actually manages to "colonize" the city and turn it into his own crystal palace.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Zarm wrote:I recognize that Godzilla's burning state may skew the impressions of difficulty level, but I would actually see SpaceGodzilla as a greater threat than Destroyah; he seemed to require more intervention and assistance from humanity, he wasn't put to flight, and he seemed to be able to absorb a lot more punishment- and potentially, to dish it out as well. I'd have a lot more trouble choosing between him and Hedorah. But to echo others here, Destroyah just doesn't come off all that deadly in practice.
I actually agree with this.

SpaceGodzilla was an overarching threat in his movie. He showed up on Birth Island in the beginning and brutally beat Godzilla and captured Little G. The whole rest of the movie is Godzilla making his way to Fukuoka to stop SpaceGodzilla. SpaceG actually manages to "colonize" the city and turn it into his own crystal palace.
It would be interesting to have an overrun-off between SpaceGodzilla, Hedorah, and Shin Godzilla. Each one starts at equidistant point on the globe, unchecked and with critical mass for the required self replications... and then just see which one ends up overrunning the world, and the other two, in the end. :)
Last edited by Zarm on Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Technically Showa Mechagodzilla is arguably the most dangerous Showa monster, it has an electric chest beam that could drive Hedorah away.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Living Corpse wrote:Technically Showa Mechagodzilla is arguably the most dangerous Showa monster, it has an electric chest beam that could drive Hedorah away.
But this is Destroyah vs. Hedorah
#slatternking

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

I'm going to say Hedorah...for 2 main reasons...

1). I like Hedorah more than Destroyah...(Not a real reason I know)

&

2). Hedorah is a true global threat...a danger to every living organism on the planet.

But then Destroyah is just a second rate crab copy of Hedorah anyway.

(Also off topic but Hedorah vs. MechaGodzilla 74 would be an
awesome fight to see...have they done that in the K.W.C yet?)
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Destroyer was a let down considering the back story he had with Godzilla. Destroyah really only had Godzilla in trouble once in their fight where as Godzilla was on his way to dying against Hedorah.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Technically Showa Mechagodzilla is arguably the most dangerous Showa monster, it has an electric chest beam that could drive Hedorah away.
But this is Destroyah vs. Hedorah
True, it is between these two.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

vagina eyes for the win.

Hedorah is who I believe is the deadlier of the two. Pretty much everything has been said!

By the way, Destoroyah only killed Godzilla's second son, not the original Minilla who was a lot more memorable. :P
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:vagina eyes
HA!

Sounds like the name of a Melvins' song/album.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!