Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

A place for users to address comments, suggestions, submissions, or errors found on Toho Kingdom and its forum.
User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13533
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby UltramanGoji » Sat Jan 05, 2019 3:56 pm

Godzilla21 wrote:What potential problems may I ask? Im on the AVS forums and many forums that have Disqus. I have been frequenting these forums for many years and never encountered an issue


The more I think about it, the more it's just a minor problem that will likely not come up very often: if you have a like system where you can see what users liked what, it could potentially lead to flame wars or something.

Godzilla Vinyl Mania wrote:I am a member of other forums and it works well. Nothing wrong with liking a post, a new aquisition, collection photos etc...without needing to add unecessary quote/I like replies.


That's actually a fair point that I didn't consider.

Like I said, I wouldn't use it, but I wouldn't mind it being added. Just...not as priority.
Image

User avatar
Mr_Goji_and_Watch
G-Force Lieutenant
Posts: 2425
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:34 pm
Location: le kinoplex locale
Contact:

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby Mr_Goji_and_Watch » Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:32 pm

Like features always lead to popularity contests and less discussions. Keep that stuff relegated to reddit.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)

on 12-31-2017, Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Nobody in the West can do the Oxygen Destroyer justice, especially not for some new Godzilla popcorn flick.

User avatar
Godzilla21
Keizer
Posts: 7680
Joined: Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:39 pm

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby Godzilla21 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 8:37 pm

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:Like features always lead to popularity contests and less discussions. Keep that stuff relegated to reddit.


I've never encountered that in my years of going online.

Im part of a Blu ray forum, the AVS forums, a Dodge Durango owners forum, and several other movie sites (Dark Horizons, Cease and Desist, Latino Review which all use Disqus) and the issue of "popularity" has never come with their upvote features. The demographics of those sites might be a little different and perhaps a little older but no one cares.

Its really kind of moot anyway I dont think they will implement it
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

User avatar
SpaceG92
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager
Posts: 8912
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:33 am
Location: Southern California
Contact:

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby SpaceG92 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:24 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:
It used to not be, strangely.

Back when Vega was around, it made the user's posts and posting history completely erased. You never saw the dumb box in threads, you never saw them show up on the main topic list as a new post, it was as if the user just NEVER existed on the site. It was bliss.

Another great feature was the ability to blacklist topics, which basically did the same thing. That would be a perfect tool to have right now in the age of spoilers.


Wow interesting. #LongliveVega

Who changed it to the way it is now?


Nobody intentionally changed it. The shift to new servers(?) caused the old additions to be removed.

I like how the first reaction was, "Who changed it?" and literately not anything else.
^@above quote: PhpBB update . It basically invalidated A LOT of the old MOD files that people just

A: Refuse to update. Such as the Quoted image to URL.
B: Never got updated to begin with
C: Updated into a language that isn't English

Alternatively, there are 3rd party extension files that could be something similar but you always run the risk of getting some bad juju with those.

User avatar
MechaGoji Bro7503
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 5380
Joined: Thu Sep 01, 2016 6:02 pm
Location: Black Hole Planet 3
Contact:

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby MechaGoji Bro7503 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:17 pm

So when we get new offical avatars for part 2 and 3 of the anime, are human/alien characters gonna be included? Just curious, since there's some hilarious faces they make.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

Dv-218 wrote:This is so sad, Alexa play "Bio-Wars".

Dr. Professor wrote:If I had a dollar for every "SAVE MOTHRA" joke, I'd be able to buy Legendary Pictures, renew the license for Godzilla, acquire the rights to the rest of the Toho monsters, and make a Godzilla film that totally bombs without even putting a dent in my bank account.

"Wake the fruck up Godzilla, we got a city to burn." - Goro Maki, 2016.

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby Grievous » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:53 pm

*Looks Around for a moment*

I think all non-kaiju film music threads should
be moved to the Media Center section with a
brand new section possibly being created for
music in general.

Just an idea.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13533
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:12 pm

We used to have a music section. It was pretty dead.
Image

User avatar
Grievous
Terminated
Terminated
Posts: 1564
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:27 pm

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby Grievous » Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:49 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:We used to have a music section. It was pretty dead.

Oh...

I did not know that.

That's a shame.
Image
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

User avatar
Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:42 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby Darth Kiryu » Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:54 am

Could we get links to automatically open in a new tab? It's a minor inconvenience to be taken off the site if I accidentally left click a link.
Image
Kaiju Galaxy is hosting a special tournament in honor of the Heisei Era now!
We're down to the final four kaiju! Join us by clicking my sig image for the Heisei Grand Championship!

User avatar
MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 941
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:57 pm
Location: Celery
Contact:

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby MikeSTZillak » Sun Apr 21, 2019 1:24 pm

Could we have an option to automatically resize large images?
Image


Resized Image


#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10063
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby goji89 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:59 pm

Can you move the "mark as read" button from where one clicks to see their posts? Im not asking to remove it completely just somewhere where I don't accidently click on it. Too many times I've done that and its frustrating....

User avatar
UltramanGoji
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 13533
Joined: Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:40 am
Location: Western New York
Contact:

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby UltramanGoji » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:49 pm

goji89 wrote:Can you move the "mark as read" button from where one clicks to see their posts? Im not asking to remove it completely just somewhere where I don't accidently click on it. Too many times I've done that and its frustrating....


Prepare for a nothing "tons of people use that feature!!!!" response, which is what I've gotten in the past when asking about this exact thing.
Image

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10063
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby goji89 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:39 pm

UltramanGoji wrote:
goji89 wrote:Can you move the "mark as read" button from where one clicks to see their posts? Im not asking to remove it completely just somewhere where I don't accidently click on it. Too many times I've done that and its frustrating....


Prepare for a nothing "tons of people use that feature!!!!" response, which is what I've gotten in the past when asking about this exact thing.


Believe me I know. Especially the " I love that feature, it lets me know what's new" ... :lol: .

All Im asking is removing it from that spot. Its like they found the most annoying spot to have it placed.

User avatar
Darth Kiryu
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 861
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 1:42 pm
Location: Sweden

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby Darth Kiryu » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:57 am

Perhaps a doubling of the staff is in order? There are after all 4000+ members total, with I'd wager 400-500 active each day. I have some more suggestions, which may be better said directly to the staff, as I'm a kaiju forum admin myself.
Image
Kaiju Galaxy is hosting a special tournament in honor of the Heisei Era now!
We're down to the final four kaiju! Join us by clicking my sig image for the Heisei Grand Championship!

User avatar
MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician
Posts: 941
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:57 pm
Location: Celery
Contact:

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby MikeSTZillak » Mon Jun 17, 2019 6:14 pm

Perhaps there could be a fourm chat feature, like on Kaiju Galaxy?
Image


Resized Image


#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

johnboy3434
Yojimbo
Posts: 93
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:27 am

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby johnboy3434 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:05 pm

I'm sorry, but the Advanced Search limiting the results for short or common words does far more harm to search results than it does good. I search for the name "Jason Barr", the name of someone who wrote a book about Kaiju films, and both his first and last name are considered both too common and too short. I then search for the main title of his book "The Kaiju Film", and get told that all the words are too short. I repeat, searching for the phrase "kaiju film" on a board about kaiju films yields no results. I don't think I need to tell you what's wrong with that.

Really, no matter how flooded the search results may be with irrelevant garbage, the very concept of not searching for a word that the user deliberately entered into the search bar is an example of critically backwards thinking.
Last edited by johnboy3434 on Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4369
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby _JNavs_ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:07 pm

johnboy3434 wrote:I'm sorry, but the Advanced Search limiting the results for short or common words does far more harm to search results than it does good. I search for the name "Jason Barr", the name of someone who wrote a book about Kaiju films, and both his first and last name are considered both too common and too short. I then search for the main title of his book "The Kaiju Film", and get told that all the words are too short. I repeat, searching for the phrase "kaiju film" on a board about kaiju films yields no results. I don't think I need to tell you what's wrong with that.

Really, no matter how flooded the search results may be with irrelevant garbage, the very concept of not searching for a word that the user deliberately put in to be search is an example of critically backwards thinking.

Yeah the search bar is almost impossible to use conveniently. I find myself having to just go on google, typing in "Tohokingdom" then the topic I'm looking for.
Image
Sith Apprentice. きの Dragon Tamer. ニューヨーク市.

User avatar
Terasawa
G-Grasper
Posts: 1332
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:06 am

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby Terasawa » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:47 pm

_JNavs_ wrote:
johnboy3434 wrote:I'm sorry, but the Advanced Search limiting the results for short or common words does far more harm to search results than it does good. I search for the name "Jason Barr", the name of someone who wrote a book about Kaiju films, and both his first and last name are considered both too common and too short. I then search for the main title of his book "The Kaiju Film", and get told that all the words are too short. I repeat, searching for the phrase "kaiju film" on a board about kaiju films yields no results. I don't think I need to tell you what's wrong with that.

Really, no matter how flooded the search results may be with irrelevant garbage, the very concept of not searching for a word that the user deliberately put in to be search is an example of critically backwards thinking.

Yeah the search bar is almost impossible to use conveniently. I find myself having to just go on google, typing in "Tohokingdom" then the topic I'm looking for.


That’s really the only effective way of doing it unless you know exactly which uncommon words you want to throw into the forum search bar, but even that’ll take all day because “You cannot search again for 59 seconds.” (Even if your keywords are ruled out!)
-- 寺沢 --
YouTube

Image

User avatar
_JNavs_
E.S.P.Spy
Posts: 4369
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:59 pm
Location: ニューヨーク

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby _JNavs_ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:58 pm

Terasawa wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:
johnboy3434 wrote:I'm sorry, but the Advanced Search limiting the results for short or common words does far more harm to search results than it does good. I search for the name "Jason Barr", the name of someone who wrote a book about Kaiju films, and both his first and last name are considered both too common and too short. I then search for the main title of his book "The Kaiju Film", and get told that all the words are too short. I repeat, searching for the phrase "kaiju film" on a board about kaiju films yields no results. I don't think I need to tell you what's wrong with that.

Really, no matter how flooded the search results may be with irrelevant garbage, the very concept of not searching for a word that the user deliberately put in to be search is an example of critically backwards thinking.

Yeah the search bar is almost impossible to use conveniently. I find myself having to just go on google, typing in "Tohokingdom" then the topic I'm looking for.


That’s really the only effective way of doing it unless you know exactly which uncommon words you want to throw into the forum search bar, but even that’ll take all day because “You cannot search again for 59 seconds.” (Even if your keywords are ruled out!)

Oh I absolutely cannot stand the "Search again in 59 seconds" I try to go back 4 pages and end up dealing with that twice.
Image
Sith Apprentice. きの Dragon Tamer. ニューヨーク市.

User avatar
goji89
Seatopian Daikaiju
Posts: 10063
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2012 2:27 pm

Re: Suggestions/Changes for the TK Forum

Postby goji89 » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:37 am

"Search again in 59 seconds" thing pisses me off to no end. I mean even when I want to see "New posts" I get that crap. Even thinking about it I want to break my skreeonking phone afgu7jdsghyddyyttchytfdsssyyhcygytgghyvbjggb


Return to “Comments, Suggestions and Submissions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest