Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

For the discussion of the Legendary Pictures MonsterVerse. This includes Godzilla (2014), Kong: Skull Island and any upcoming films under the MonsterVerse umbrella.
Forum rules
Please be sure to read the subforum sticky "Regarding: Monsterverse Leaks & Unofficial Photos [Updated 7/13/2018]", linked below. Thank you!

https://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewt ... &p=1472505

Would you like to see Mechagodzilla?

Yes
63%
No
37%

Total votes: 59

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

So after some extensive thinking about where the MonsterVerse could go after Ghidorah, I came to the conclusion that Mechagodzilla is the only way to end the series :lol:

So here me out…

Godzilla (2014) was all about mankind’s conflict with nature when three ancient monsters fight for supremacy, and man learns of the looming threat of the Titans.

In Godzilla: King Of The Monsters, mankind is plagued with otherworldly threats in Ghidorah, an unnatural creature who upsets the balance of the natural world.
Not to mention…
*Spoilers concerning the end of GKOTM*
Spoiler:
The Titans are all awake and running amok.
Where does the series go after this? Humanity’s already envoked the wrath of natural and unnatural beings, those are usually the staples in the Godzilla series plots, but it’s missing the third classic trope, humanity upsetting the natural balance with technological advances.

In a time where monsters walk the Earth, humanity “needs” a Titan killer, a weapon to help them feel “safe” in a time like this, and if we get a Mechagodzilla, there’s no doubt it’d fall into the wrong hands, thus creating a big problem for humanity. The dangers of A.I. is a serious thing right now, seems like a plausible route to go.

Now I know some knucklehead will argue the realistics of a giant robot, but we’ve already gotten aliens and supernatural moth monsters, and the folks doing these films have said time and time again that their definition of “realism” for this series is how we’d realistically react if an alien dropped down, or a big ass robot showed up, all the fantastic elements can still happen, we’ll just see how the military, people, and media would handle these situations.

Conspiracy time!

Keep in mind, WB already owns his rights (Remember Ready Player One anybody?)

I found it suspicious that the Mechagodzilla design was based on Godzilla 2014 in the first place, and even sported his signature blue napalm breath, could that have been a small tease of what’s to come?

What do you think? Would you be down for Mechagodzilla?
Last edited by PitchBlackProgress on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:52 am, edited 5 times in total.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Re: Mechagodzilla: The MonsterVerse Endgame?

Post by Rhedosaurus »

As much as I'd like to see the Godzillaverse last much longer, if Mechagodzilla the final villain, then I will be perfectly OK with it.

However, if Legendary/WB (they'll help Legendary extend the rights) manages to extend the rights, then I want big bad Des to be the final villain.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

I'm down for it. I'd rather the MonsterVerse continue eventually taking the Showa route drifting away from realism becoming its own cinematic universe with original, public domain, Warner Bros. and Toho kaiju but hey a few more movies would be better then nothing I guess.
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Fri Jan 04, 2019 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

I’ll be down for it, though if they go a mecha route I kinda want them to create their own bots. The franchise really doesn’t have that much variety in mechs. There is only MechaGodzilla, Jet Jaguar, Moguera and I guess if you count Mecha-King Ghidorah.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Stupid question.

Given Kong's complicated rights history... would Legendary need the rights to a "MechaKong"?
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:Stupid question.

Given Kong's complicated rights history... would Legendary need the rights to a "MechaKong"?
I don’t think Toho owns the rights, he was supposed to be Godzillas oppenent in one of the drafts for Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, but there was a rights issue I believe.
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I only see Mechagodzilla working if there’s a 20+ year timeskip.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

How about Kiryu 2.0?

Say, after the battle with Ghidorah, both his and Godzilla's DNA manages to be saved, and the UN or stuff creates a project where they're going to build a robotic entitiy to protect humanity from giant monsters, using a skeleton made from Ghidorah's and Godzilla's DNA as foundation
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Well, MechaG is my favorite Godzilla villain...... but honestly I only want him if he's paired with Mechani-Kong. I want an epic CGI tagteam battle with them against Godzilla and Kong.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

I’ve been saying that Mecha-Godzilla should be the villain of Godzilla vs King Kong, and not only is there safe speculation that it could be the case, but there’s some evidence already. First of all, Mecha-Godzilla is in the same league as King Ghidorah, Mothra, and Rodan, if not even more ‘iconic.’ He’s no obscure, ordinary Toho Kaiju. I’ve heard the term “robot Godzilla” before when it came to talking about Godzilla with casuals even before 2014, so he’s known around. Secondly, Warner Bros. already has the rights, as they used him in Ready Player One, and just like the rights for the main 4 in KOTM, those rights have an expiration date. Since that movie came out very recently, there’s a chance that the rights to Mecha-Godzilla are still at Warner Bros, so why not use him again in the franchise that he originated from? Finally, just like PitchBlack has stated, he fits perfectly right into the mankind vs nature narrative that the Monsterverse has been centered around. And the synopsis does mention the emergence of a “human conspiracy,” so it’s not solely Godzilla and King Kong fighting each other.

Oh and his design in Ready Player One. Why didn’t they base it around the 1974, Mecha-Godzilla 2, or Kiryu designs (hell, Kiryu was the Mecha-Godzilla they used in the book)?? Instead they based it around Godzilla 2014. To me, it sounds like they were testing the waters for a proper introduction in a future Godzilla movie.
Yooo 8-)

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Recently, I warmed up to the ideas of Mechas being introduced in the Monsterverse, particulary Mechagodzilla. KOTM already seems to be hinting at the fact that Monarch is in possesion of rather impressive, Sci-fi esque technology, so the introduction of Mechas won't seem too far-fetched anymore tbh.
If GvK is indeed going to be the last Monsterverse movie (I still doubt it, but we'll see), then imo Mechagodzilla would work pretty well as a main antagonist. Like said above, he fits perfectly with the whole "humanity vs nature" and conspiracy angle they are going for, and we do know that WB has the rights to Mechagodzilla. I agree that it's rather weird that they specifically used a legendary inspired MG design in RPO, considering every other cameo character design was accurate to their on-screen appearances. I won't be surprised if it was an hint of some sorts lol.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyler Kuykendall
Ronin

Post by Tyler Kuykendall »

That'd be awesome and all, but does MechaG have to be the only antagonist? While Godzilla and Kong duke it out, couldn't there be (an)other monster(s) wrecking havoc - assuming that Kong won't - that MONARCH specifically intends to send MechaG out for; so then when whatever events unfold that turn MechaG into a threat, there'd be natural *and* man-made dangers that Godzilla and Kong [and whatever other monsters there may be, given the GvK synopsis mentioning other "good" monsters] need to team up against?

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

Don't forget to bring in Mecha Kong as well.

Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla Vs Kong Vs Mecha Kong - Living Giant Monsters Vs Mechanical Monsters All-Out Attack

That should be the title.

A four monster tag team fight.
Last edited by Jeff-Goldblum2 on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hokmuto
EDF Instructor

Post by Hokmuto »

I've been thinking about this and I've finally come to the conclusion that not only do I love this idea, I think it's highly possible. To add to what the main post said, Dougherty said outright that humanity is reaching greater technological advancements than what we have today. The Oxygen Destroyer (not leaks since it was officially teased by Dougherty) is a testament to this along with that new plane. This human conspiracy that could eliminate all kaiju has to be a mech or maybe even a hybrid. Now to those that know spoilers...
Spoiler:
The decapitated Ghidorah head could lead to either to just a general hint of a human conspiracy or maybe even Mecha King Ghidorah, but the latter is way more doubtful. This head could be used for hybridizing which could lead to a man made kaiju ala Jurassic World (except a creative design)
Added in 43 seconds:
Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote:Don't forget to bring in Mecha Kong as well.

Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla Vs Kong Vs Mecha Kong - Living Giant Monsters Vs Mechanical Monsters All-Out Attack

No....just no...
Long Live The King

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I want MechaG but not as the endgame. Now Super Mechagodzilla could work as endgame.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Dv-218
Futurian

Post by Dv-218 »

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more Mechagodzilla appeareing makes sense. He's a part of the big 5, WB has the rights to him, the technological advancements in the Monsterverse are being hinted as a major plot point, and of course- the whole "human conspiracy" thing.

Question is: let's say that in a complete surprise he does appear, would it be a robot that simply resembles Godzilla or would it be a cyborg Kiryu style? Perhaps this is where the "Adam" skeleton from 2014 could come into play.
Last edited by Dv-218 on Sun Jan 06, 2019 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rhedosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by Rhedosaurus »

Dv-218 wrote:Yeah, the more I think about it, the more Mechagodzilla appeareing makes sense. He's a part of the big 5, WB has the rights to him, the technological advancements in the Monsterverse are being hinted as a major plot point, and of course- the whole "human conspiracy" thing.

Question is: let's say that in a complete surprise he does appear, would it be a robot that simply resembles Godzilla or would it be a cyborg Kiryu style? Perhaps this is where the "Adam" skeleton from 2014 could come into play.
I wouldn't mind a Legendary Kiryu, but I'd like to have it break free from it's 'ressurectors' and lives as normally as it could. That or it can reveal that the MUTO's didn't kill it, but some other monster did and it wants revenge.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Hokmuto wrote:

No....just no...
Title aside, why don't 'cha want Mechani-Kong? It's the only way to get an Oscar.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Thunderbird
Monsterland Worker

Post by Thunderbird »

Rhedosaurus wrote:I want big bad Des to be the final villain.
This.

Mechagodzilla and Mechanikong vs their organic counterparts ties in with a technological "human conspiracy" plot, but...

A kaiju created in a lab a la Jurassic World for the sole purpose of DESTROYING Godzilla and Kong would be much more fun.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:
Hokmuto wrote:

No....just no...
Title aside, why don't 'cha want Mechani-Kong? It's the only way to get an Oscar.
Too many syllables. I had to cut back on character count for the title.