Talkback: Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Variola
JXSDF Technician

Re: Talkback: Gamera 3: Revenge of Iris (1999)

Post by Variola »

Mechagigan wrote:Does the movie explain totally why he split his connections with Earth?
No, but it was in G2 when the amulets shattered. Perhaps it was because he'd just gotten almost killed by trying to save humans, and realized he could no longer achieve his mission while being held back by this directive.

Mechagigan
Futurian

Post by Mechagigan »

Variola wrote:
Mechagigan wrote:Does the movie explain totally why he split his connections with Earth?
No, but it was in G2 when the amulets shattered. Perhaps it was because he'd just gotten almost killed by trying to save humans, and realized he could no longer achieve his mission while being held back by this directive.
I kind of assumed it was because of the lack of faith in Gamera, what with ore and more people seeing him as a threat and not as a hero. Maybe this 'rejection' made him go rogue, somehow, and thus why he blatantly causes more destruction in G3.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Asagi sacrificed her bond with Gamera to revive him in Advent of Legion, which was the thing upholding his connection to humanity as a whole. This wasn't a problem at first since Gamera already knew what he was doing in that film, but by Revenge of Irys he's acting blindly, too focused on hunting the Gyaos to notice humans. If Gamera had defeated Legion without breaking the magatama, he wouldn't have gone all hardcore.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Do remember that at the end of Gamera 2 he's said to be exclusively the guardian of earth and one day might see humanity as its greatest threat, plus with the Gyaos' returning, that was probably the only thing on his mind.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Added in 1 minute 14 seconds:
Not with Earth, just with humanity. (Like Battra, if I recall correctly). It was seeningly the 'price' of his resurrection in Advent of Legion.

Added in 1 minute 24 seconds:
Variola wrote: That was more or less my interpretation; that in G3 he was no longer compelled by his "programming" to protect people, but still chose to save Ayana of his own volition. Kind of like a soldier who is discharged from the army, but steps in to stop a bar fight.
I like that analogy. He's kind of a ronin, now.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

This, and the whole Gamera trilogy as a whole, are the definite kaiju eiga films for me.
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

MikeSTZillak wrote:This, and the whole Gamera trilogy as a whole, are the definite kaiju eiga films for me.
Godzillafan1990s would love to hear this.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I think at the very least, the Gamera Trilogy kind of became the new gold standard of Kaiju films, and while several of the Godzilla movies that have followed have been entertaining, most Godzilla entries haven't quite been able to live up to it.

And it does feel kind of wrong for Godzilla to come in 2nd place.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GojiDog wrote:I think at the very least, the Gamera Trilogy kind of became the new gold standard of Kaiju films, and while several of the Godzilla movies that have followed have been entertaining, most Godzilla entries haven't quite been able to live up to it.

Fortunately, as fucking incredible as the Heisei Gamera flicks may be, even they can't match the historical significance or raw emotional impact of the original Godzilla, so his title is still safe. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

GojiDog wrote:I think at the very least, the Gamera Trilogy kind of became the new gold standard of Kaiju films, and while several of the Godzilla movies that have followed have been entertaining, most Godzilla entries haven't quite been able to live up to it.

I'd say Godzilla took back the number one spot with Shin Godzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'd say it was Godzilla 2000. There was only one Gamera film in the millennium era, and it had no sequels.
I've got a good mind to join a club and beat you over the head with it.

Then expect something that's fiercer, more cruel, and deadly than anything that's walked the Earth.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

edgaguirus wrote:I'd say it was Godzilla 2000. There was only one Gamera film in the millennium era, and it had no sequels.
Yeah, but it was pretty good. A lot better than the last two Godzilla films released at that time, maybe even last three.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

edgaguirus wrote:I'd say it was Godzilla 2000. There was only one Gamera film in the millennium era, and it had no sequels.
However Gamera III and Godzilla 2000 came out in the same year 1999, I would rank Gamera III the superior film.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Except Godzilla 2000 isn't as good as any of the heisei Gamera films or GTB. None of the millennium films with Godzilla come close except gmk. Quality over quantity

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Godzillian wrote:
Except Godzilla 2000 isn't as good as any of the heisei Gamera films or GTB. None of the millennium films with Godzilla come close except gmk. Quality over quantity
Well, it's a matter of opinion. To me, Shin Godzilla isn't even as good as half the Millenium films and GMK doesn't even come close to 2000; 2000 is better than any of the films that have come since. To someone else, Gamera III may remain unsurpassed by any of the three.

Quality is in the eye of the beholder.

I do think Gamera 3 is a high benchmark, but has been surpassed. Regardless, it remains a fantastic and classic film.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Godzillian wrote:I'd say Godzilla took back the number one spot with Shin Godzilla
Shin Godzilla had the same feeling of being a game changer, setting the bar to a new height.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Shin Godzilla was a game changer in terms of reinvigorating the socio-political aspects of the series, whereas I think GIII is more remarkable in terms of tone and atmosphere, but both Shin and GIII offer some of the most dynamic and distinctive visuals of the genre.
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Dr. Professor
Futurian

Post by Dr. Professor »

I was never really blown away by Gamera 3. I like it, but I just don't see in it what everyone else does. I personally prefer Gamera 2. But if both films are equal in one aspect, it's that they have some of the best practical effects work I've ever seen.
ALL HAIL SHINJI HIGUCHI
Resized Image
(Art by Lisa Naffziger)

Co-host (Nick) of G-Force: A Kaiju Podcast
Twitter | Instagram | Facebook

RIP Evan A. Baker :serizawa:

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

GojiDog wrote: And it does feel kind of wrong for Godzilla to come in 2nd place.
Nope not at all. The Heisei Gamera Trilogy are IMO not only the best kaiju films but also equally my favorite film of all time. This is how kaiju films should be done and none IMO will ever top these.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

I don’t understand why this one was always held in such high regards, the plot drags, doesn’t match the tone and mood of the previous two, Gamera seems even less of a force/character than Godzilla does in the anime or G14…
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking