Pacific Rim Figures the Sequel

For the discussion of Toho toys, models, figures and other collectibles of this nature.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Pacific Rim Figures the Sequel

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Ok so according to their most recent tweet the Diamond Select Hakuja is still scheduled for release in spite of being pushed back several times so far.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Post by Maverick Centigrade »

I'm over Hakuja, it's the mega kaiju I want a toy for. How he didn't get one is beyond me.
"I vote for outer space, no way these are local boys"
"Hello, Japan? Connect me to Godzilla please"

Godzillakuj94
G-Force Personnel

Post by Godzillakuj94 »

Maverick Centigrade wrote:I'm over Hakuja, it's the mega kaiju I want a toy for. How he didn't get one is beyond me.
Like Slattern before him.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I dunno that upcoming Hakuja looks a lot better than the last one.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

Anyone know when the 3rd wave of DST figures are coming out? I crave that Valor Omega.

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Diamond Select replied to me on Twitter, no more kaiju planned after Hajuka. So that sucks.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Well that's hugely disappointing.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Maverick Centigrade
Keizer

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Well that's hugely disappointing.
Indeed, I guess this series is done then. Series 3 and Hakuja will mark the end of it.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Nuts. Oh well at least my credit card will get a break before King of the Monsters.

Cosbydaf
JXSDF Technician

Post by Cosbydaf »

Welp, the toys had a good run at least. Pity the stupid movie fumbled on almost every level and killed their momentum. I would have liked to own at least one Tamashii Drone Jaeger for old time's sake, but oh well.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Yeah, I'm not surprised the merchandise is dying off; I doubt the 2nd film did well enough, critically or financially, to warrant making more figures.
I'd still like to get the Diamond Hakuja, though; that looks pretty good.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

For any Canadian fans, Amazon.ca has November Ajax and the Kaiju drone up for order for a stupidly low price of $19.50CAD ($14.29USD) ???
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

The toys were easily the best thing about Uprising sadly. (not knocking the toys just the movie)

Salzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Salzilla »

Hey gang, courtesy of DST, here's my review of the Kaiju HAKUJA! It's a good piece that is weeeeell worth the price.

*As far as no more coming, selling these out at the retail level can go a long way into DST's thinking. TRUST me on this. I've worked both in manufacturing at a company similar to them as well as retailers that carry product like this. Supply/demand. The reason why more are not coming currently is that preorders weren't high. I can't stress enough how important it is to preorder these products. They've already gone BACK into production on some of the earlier figures. Anyways, check out the review and judge for yourself!

ULTRAZILLA TOYS
Latest Kaiju review: Bandai Movie Monster Series Godzilla Ultima https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCkhkPWINDI

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

Salzilla wrote:*As far as no more coming, selling these out at the retail level can go a long way into DST's thinking. TRUST me on this. I've worked both in manufacturing at a company similar to them as well as retailers that carry product like this. Supply/demand. The reason why more are not coming currently is that preorders weren't high. I can't stress enough how important it is to preorder these products. They've already gone BACK into production on some of the earlier figures.
I'm going to play devil's advocate for a moment and say that the culture of pre-ordering has, pretty inarguably, contributed to a decrease in the quality of video games for the past decade or so. I'm not saying that people should not pre-order these figures, but I am saying that it is perfectly reasonable for people to not pre-order these figures and wait for the impressions of others (such as your reviews! :)) before making that decision to spend money.

It's hard to say why Hakuja did not pre-order well, but I think it's fair to say that poor reception of the movie and the delayed release did not help. Tamashii got 3 Kaiju out before DST had their first. Based on what I've seen of Hakuja, DST was primed to beat out Tamashii when it came to quality of the Kaiju figures and the price. Who knows, if Hakuja is a success at retail they might go straight for a deluxe Mega Kaiju figure, it's probably a safer bet than Raijin and Shrikethorn.
Last edited by Fermix on Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
I am aggregating Toho collectible scoops on my Twitter account. Please consider giving me a follow!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Well I'm eagerly waiting for mine to come. Looks WAAAAAY better than the other Hakuja.

Salzilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Salzilla »

This isn't a spoiler because it's very evident, but the DST Hakuja blows the Sofvi Spirits out of the water.

As far as preorders go, for smaller companies like DST it is vital as they aren't in many major stores. It's how they know there will be a receptive audience for a product. But folks won't order and then complain we won't be getting more. It's not DST's fault there.

I'm honestly not sure why they delayed the release, but remember,r the level of everything is higher here so more tooling was involved. It definitely hit, though. I would have dropped this along with wave one and went from there.
ULTRAZILLA TOYS
Latest Kaiju review: Bandai Movie Monster Series Godzilla Ultima https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCkhkPWINDI

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Salzilla wrote:It's how they know there will be a receptive audience for a product. But folks won't order and then complain we won't be getting more. It's not DST's fault there.
The problem with his mentality is clear when you look at the SHMA business. People can't be expected to order something months in advance when there's no word on how good of a product it is. Even at like, $20-30 a piece, it's still a significant amount of money to be setting aside for something you're not even sure will be good.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Well just got November Ajax, Valor Omega and the Hybrid. Damn Ajax looks really good in the flesh er plastic whatever. Look forward to getting Hakuja.

Fermix
EDF Instructor

Post by Fermix »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Salzilla wrote:It's how they know there will be a receptive audience for a product. But folks won't order and then complain we won't be getting more. It's not DST's fault there.
The problem with his mentality is clear when you look at the SHMA business. People can't be expected to order something months in advance when there's no word on how good of a product it is. Even at like, $20-30 a piece, it's still a significant amount of money to be setting aside for something you're not even sure will be good.
I was going to say something to this effect as well. It's a bit silly to criticize people for wanting more when they preferred to wait for in-hand reviews before committing the money.

DST tweeted out that they had no plans for more Kaiju way before Hakuja was released, so I am inclined to believe that they really are basing it off of pre-order interest. That, or Hakuja was always going to be a one and done.