Why hate on the 1970's films and Revenge, but keep defending that 1998 rubbish

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Why hate on the 1970's films and Revenge, but keep defending that 1998 rubbish

Post by Freebleeper »

I know you will all give me the same lame excuses but that movie sucked... deal with it!

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Why hate on the 1970's films and Revenge, but keep defending that 1998 rubbish

Post by Zarm »

This is a thread not long for this world, I suspect.

But the answer the question in brief, I suspect different things appeal to different people taste. Personally, I'm the opposite way- I enjoy the 70s films, and I very much dislike the 1998 film. In fact, after grappling with it several days, I've decided that I cannot in good conscience actually spend money to buy this movie to add it to my collection. :) But, for those few who do defend it, something in its style works for them, while something in the style of the 70s films doesn't.
Last edited by Zarm on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: Why hate on the 1970's films and Revenge, but keep defending that 1998 rubbish

Post by Maritonic »

It's all very simple, really. Like Zarm said: people have different tastes.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

GoWhaleTours
JXSDF Technician

Post by GoWhaleTours »

The 70s films are utterly unwatchable for me. The cheese is absolutely unbearable. The 1998 movie is at least a fun popcorn monster movie in my opinion.
GO GO GOJI KUN

Freebleeper
Yojimbo

Post by Freebleeper »

GoWhaleTours wrote:The 70s films are utterly unwatchable for me. The cheese is absolutely unbearable. The 1998 movie is at least a fun popcorn monster movie in my opinion.
"fun popcorn monster movie"? I actually find the 1950's monster movies more in line with being good popcorn monster movies no offense, but the darn thing is something out of the asses from Jurassic Park idealists, it's not a Godzilla movie to me and it never will be, wish I never went to the theaters back in 1998 to see it but NO it was called Godzilla to fool me, at least I actually enjoy 2014 (it was a little mixed for me) but it was more in line with the actually franchise.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Well this is going to get locked but I'm going to chime in anyway.

Emmerich's movie is too far removed from the rest of the Godzilla series for me to enjoy it as a "Godzilla movie." It also proudly represents one of my least favorite styles of Hollywood filmmaking. I understand why people might like it or maybe even trick themselves into thinking it's a good movie, but I want no part of it. As I've said elsewhere I've given that film more chances than I should have. I only own it because the title is "Godzilla."
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mecha-SpaceGhidorah
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah »

To throw my two cents into this one, I like both, but for very different reasons. Some of my favorite Godzilla films come from the late Showa series (as do some of my least favorite, I admit); and '98 is a terrible Godzilla film, but a fun, if far too silly for it's own good by the latter half, American kaiju film.
Last edited by Mecha-SpaceGhidorah on Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man, and let history make its own judgments.
~ Zefram Cochrane (c. 2073)

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I really enjoy the Showa films, even the "cheesy" ones. They are entertaining, creative, and have some good music scores and fights.

As for G98, I was outraged by it when I saw it in the theater. They had taken Godzilla and turned him in to a mutant lizard. I have since forgiven the film. I choose to see it as a giant monster film rather than a Godzilla movie. I watch it very seldom.

I agree with Zarm about this topic. Taste is an individual thing.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.